FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2014 · OM-D EM10

deadwolfbones
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · OM-D EM10

FlyPenFly wrote:
Very! It's pretty much the only place where I share pictures now. If there was a fast quick way a camera put photos in my iPhone album autmagically I would love that.

Cool. That's why I couldn't tell—I follow you on Instagram and know you share a lot there. But it's one of those things that would have been kinda ridiculous to earnestly say even a year ago.

Jan 29, 2014 at 05:42 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · OM-D EM10

Anyone else disappointed with the lack of any real size reduction ? Camera is basically the same size as the EM5, save a few mm, and doesn't seem to introduce much in the way of improvement, save for wifi, at the cost of 5 axis IBIS.

Sure its $100 cheaper, but have that many people been held off from getting an EM5 due to just $100 ? Probably if you've wanted an EM5 for the past year or so you'd have simply bought a used one. Just doesn't seem like there is a huge market of people that either don't have an EM5 due to cost, that wanted a slightly smaller camera, or that didn't just go straight to the EM1.

I was going to hold off my GM1 purchase to see how this one shaped up for a true compact sized camera and glad I didn't.

I think Olympus could of introduced something smaller and more unique to the market, such as a smaller PEN style body, but with a built in EVF in the corner.

Something that would be quite small, especially with a pancake lens, and yet unique in the market by giving it a built in EVF, which the GM1 doesn't have.

Maybe I'm wrong though and this will be a huge seller for them, eclipsing sales of the EM5 or E1M

Jan 29, 2014 at 05:58 PM
fsiagian
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · OM-D EM10

I like the e-m5 size. Gm1 would be too small for me.

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:56 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · OM-D EM10

Yeah, I'm a bit confused on the point of this, I suppose the higher resolution LCD and Wifi could be a draw.

Personally, I'm waiting for the next generation of MFT sensors before I make another camera purchase. I hope they don't bump the megapixels. I just want 1.5 more stops of DR and I'm happy.

Jan 30, 2014 at 02:01 AM
itai195
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · OM-D EM10

millsart wrote:
Anyone else disappointed with the lack of any real size reduction ? Camera is basically the same size as the EM5, save a few mm, and doesn't seem to introduce much in the way of improvement, save for wifi, at the cost of 5 axis IBIS.

Sure its $100 cheaper, but have that many people been held off from getting an EM5 due to just $100 ? Probably if you've wanted an EM5 for the past year or so you'd have simply bought a used one. Just doesn't seem like there is a huge market of people that either don't
...Show more

Ok it's not a product for me, first of all. But lets get out of the FMer mindset for a moment.

This is priced right in the APS-C DSLR wheelhouse. I think that's the point: here's a really attractive small camera for the same price as an entry or mid level DSLR. Great product for that purpose IMO.

Jan 30, 2014 at 02:10 AM
Massimo Foti
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · OM-D EM10

mawz wrote:
You can get an E-M5 for E-M10 money if you want by hunting for a deal. Cheaper, if you go used.

Here in Switzerland we don't get the same deals you have in North America and the used market is small too, especially for "smaller" brands like Olympus. Buying from abroad means you have to pay custom fees...

Jan 30, 2014 at 02:24 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · OM-D EM10

I want to see one next to the GM1, both equipped with their respective tiny zooms.

The only plus on the EM10 for me is the EVF, i think both look great (in black), and they are both small enough, although the GM1 really takes the cake for compactness.

Wifi in camera is great, but it needs a good partner app to make it really shine.
I've found that by far the EASIEST solution is the Eye-Fi mobi card, but that hurts battery life on both camera and phone.

Jan 30, 2014 at 03:42 AM
lsquare
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · OM-D EM10

Jman13 wrote:
I'm actually more excited that my E-M5 just got a firmware update enabling small focus boxes and ISO 100. About time.

It's not native ISO 100 though...

Jan 30, 2014 at 08:09 AM
lsquare
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · OM-D EM10

millsart wrote:

Sure its $100 cheaper, but have that many people been held off from getting an EM5 due to just $100 ? Probably if you've wanted an EM5 for the past year or so you'd have simply bought a used one. Just doesn't seem like there is a huge market of people that either don't
...Show more

No, I'm not disappointed because there is a market for a cheaper version of the E-M5. I don't think the loss of the 5-axis IBIS is a huge deal for me because I like to shoot landscape and seascapes. I use the tripod a lot so it's not a dealbreaker. It's not like the E-M5 is going away so for those people that want the better IBIS, then they should step up to the E-M5.

Jan 30, 2014 at 08:11 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · OM-D EM10

lsquare wrote:
It's not native ISO 100 though...

No m43 camera has native ISO 100. Many APS-C cameras do not either (like say the new X-T1).

Jan 30, 2014 at 08:34 AM
fsiagian
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · OM-D EM10

If it's not native (low) does it mean the IQ is lower?

Jan 30, 2014 at 08:45 AM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · OM-D EM10

ISO1600 wrote:
I want to see one next to the GM1, both equipped with their respective tiny zooms.

Your wish is my command...

Jan 30, 2014 at 09:13 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · OM-D EM10

millsart wrote:

...Show more

It seems to me that Olympus has now standardized on 3 levels of OM-D bodies and 3 levels of Pen bodies. This camera fills out the bottom level of the OM-D bodies. The OM-D's have the built in EVF and the Pen's have and add on EVF. It really is too bad that they don't make something like the Pen you describe with the EVF built in the corner. It also seems to me that the bottom two cameras in both lines aren't that far apart in either features or price.

Jan 30, 2014 at 09:44 AM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · OM-D EM10

deadwolfbones wrote:
Your wish is my command...

http://i.imgur.com/9MpZQJP.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/fDTq6AN.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/SQN5Yel.jpg

That new Oly zoom really is tiny, makes the Panasonic look big.

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:16 AM
brubenstein

p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · OM-D EM10

Depending on where one lives, the pancake zoom may, or may not, be a kit option. In the US it is not; the only kit lens is the existing 14-42 lens.

ISO 100 is not even referred to as "ISO 100" by Olympus. It's "LOW", same as the E-M1, with the same reduced dynamic range. (Did the up date yesterday and tested it.)

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:26 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · OM-D EM10

lsquare wrote:
No, I'm not disappointed because there is a market for a cheaper version of the E-M5. I don't think the loss of the 5-axis IBIS is a huge deal for me because I like to shoot landscape and seascapes. I use the tripod a lot so it's not a dealbreaker. It's not like the E-M5 is going away so for those people that want the better IBIS, then they should step up to the E-M5.

Let me ask you this then... has $100 price difference really kept you from buying an EM5 though ?

I could see if they priced the EM10 at, say, $499, then that probably is cheap enough to appeal to a totally different group of buyers, but being a $699 camera still surely doesn't change its market that much.

Its like having another model of a new car at $18,000 instead of $19,000. Hey, $1000 is well and good, but its not like its suddenly making people who otherwise wanted a $8000 used car potential new car buyers, know what I mean ?

Maybe they will drop the price in time, perhaps it will be selling for $499 before we know it, and darn nice camera for that price I'm sure.

EM10 doesn't really seem to compete on price, and it really doesn't on size either.

GM1 doens't compete on price, its darn expensive for what it is, but its got the market beat on size. You pay a premium for that tiny size, but darn if its not cool to throw my 20mm f1.7 on there and toss it into my jacket pocket. It lets me do something other cameras couldn't in terms of size/weight/IQ tradeoffs

I've owned the EM5 before, and its a good camera, but it wasn't ever pocketable, jacket or otherwise. I never thought "gee....if I could shave just a few mm off this camera it would revolutionize when and where I can take it"

EM10 is going to basically be just as portable/unportable as the EM5. This is where I think they rather missed the mark, if they could of made it smaller, enough to make a real difference, they would of had something that would warrant the price.

Heck, just putting a tilt screen on a GM1 sized body alone would swing a huge number of sales to Oly, I know I would of bought one for that reason alone.

I have no real interest in the EM10 though, because its not giving me anything my EM5, or my later EM1 didn't. In fact its giving me less, and with no real added size benefit.

Jan 30, 2014 at 07:49 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · OM-D EM10

brubenstein wrote:
Depending on where one lives, the pancake zoom may, or may not, be a kit option. In the US it is not; the only kit lens is the existing 14-42 lens.

ISO 100 is not even referred to as "ISO 100" by Olympus. It's "LOW", same as the E-M1, with the same reduced dynamic range. (Did the up date yesterday and tested it.)

I think short of changing the sensor, one can't change base sensitivity. Probably still a useful feature though for those who don't want to just shoot RAW a stop over and dial it back in post (which is no doubt a surprising number of people)

For the JPEG shooter who knows just enough to want to shoot at base ISO to keep his/her lens wider open in the day, or blur some water etc, it surely will make a pretty big difference in the overall camera enjoyment.

Jan 30, 2014 at 07:51 PM
jfulton
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · OM-D EM10

It's a great looking camera. It's a pitty Olympus didn't offer 1080/60p in this model or the EM-1, especially considering that they are putting it in their lower tiered model:

http://m.dpreview.com/news/2014/01/29/olympus-announces-stylus-sp-100-superzoom-with-dot-sight

It's the one thing that is keeping me from switching over from Panasonic's offerings while my clients ask for video.

Jan 30, 2014 at 09:26 PM
Geordon

p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · OM-D EM10

millsart wrote:
Let me ask you this then... has $100 price difference really kept you from buying an EM5 though ?
[snip]
EM10 doesn't really seem to compete on price, and it really doesn't on size either.

GM1 doens't compete on price, its darn expensive for what it is, but its got the market beat on size. You pay a premium for that tiny size, but darn if its not cool to throw my 20mm f1.7 on there and toss it into my jacket pocket. It lets me do something other cameras couldn't in terms of size/weight/IQ tradeoffs

I've owned the EM5 before, and its a
...Show more

In all fairness, isn't the current $100 price difference due to the age of the EM5 vs a preorder EM10? Isn't the list price $999, which would put it right between the EM10 and EM1? Not that I care about the differential at this point. If the EM10 would have been close to the GM1 in size, I almost certainly would have gone that route, so I could have the IBIS with matching Oly glass when I start adding primes.

I was putting off getting the GM1 until I saw the actual specs on the EM10, hoping to see real competition in the size game. The comparison pictures above really show the difference. Even though the GM1 price is up there, I just can't get over the minute size, as I wanted to replace my ancient pocket Elph with something significantly better/more robust than an S120. The GM1 just excites the geek-factor for me much more than a bigger, non-pocketable MFT. I may as well just pick up my Canon 1D with some L glass, if I am goint to lug around a big gun.

Geordon

Jan 30, 2014 at 11:08 PM
fsiagian
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · OM-D EM10

No $200 discount on some lenses with this new body that you would get if you buy the E-M5.

Jan 30, 2014 at 11:21 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.