Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Hendrik, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Help: Canon Pixma Pro-100 prints darker image using photo...

LSExplorer
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help: Canon Pixma Pro-100 prints darker image using photoshop cc

In photoshop CC print dialog, I use "photoshop manage colors" and in Print Settings dialog, I choose the paper profile for the paper that comes with the printer.

The printer image is significantly darker than screen image. I am wondering what went wrong.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Jan 29, 2014 at 05:15 AM
arize84

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help: Canon Pixma Pro-100 prints darker image using photoshop cc

I assume your screen is calibrated?

Jan 29, 2014 at 05:45 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help: Canon Pixma Pro-100 prints darker image using photoshop cc

This is almost always a result of the monitor being too bright or print viewing light being too dim or a combination the two. Make sure that your monitor not brighter than about 120 cd/m2 and look into something like a Solux light for viewing.

Jan 29, 2014 at 06:30 AM
KatManDEW

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help: Canon Pixma Pro-100 prints darker image using photoshop cc

I just got a Pro 100 this week to use when I don't want to unload a roll on my iPF6000 to print smaller single sheets. My pro 100 prints are significantly too dark too

I have a NEC PA301WSV (with calibration), and my iPF6300 prints match my NEC screen extremely well. But the Pro 100 prints are way too dark. I'm using the XPS driver with color management turned off and the appropriate paper profiles (just like I do with my iPF6300). I normally print with QImage, but I've tired printing from Photoshop and that doesn't help.

I've tried Canon gloss and Semi gloss, and Red River Gloss and Metallic, with the appropriate paper profiles.

I have an old Canon i9900 and I didn't really have much trouble with dark prints from it.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Mar 21, 2014 at 06:25 PM
John Wheeler
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help: Canon Pixma Pro-100 prints darker image using photoshop cc

Hi KatManDEW
- As a start I suggest taking the exact same image, using Photoshop manages colors, the correct ICC profile for your printer/ink/paper that you are using with each printer, print a copy to each printer and compare. If they match then the issue is back in the image generation part of the workflow and if they are different, they it is probably somewhere in the printer driver portion of the flow. I would also try the above with the Black Point Compensation set both ways (whichever way you have no printed).
- I also suggest that you try the soft proofing features of Photoshop with the ICC profiles for both printers and see if they are the same or different. If it shows a difference in soft proofing then you need to do some editing with soft proofing turned on to get it to print correctly with the printer.
--------------------------
Just some quick suggestions and hope it is helpful.

Mar 22, 2014 at 07:20 PM
KatManDEW

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help: Canon Pixma Pro-100 prints darker image using photoshop cc

John Wheeler wrote:
Hi KatManDEW
- As a start I suggest taking the exact same image, using Photoshop manages colors, the correct ICC profile for your printer/ink/paper that you are using with each printer, print a copy to each printer and compare. If they match then the issue is back in the image generation part of the workflow and if they are different, they it is probably somewhere in the printer driver portion of the flow. I would also try the above with the Black Point Compensation set both ways (whichever way you have no printed).
- I also suggest that you try
...Show more

Thanks John. I've tried everything you mentioned. One thing I've notice in 10+ years of printing is that soft proofing in Photoshop doesn't really work well. The image on-screen matched the prints better without soft proffing. I've seen video tutorials from paper manufacturers that say the same thing, using calibrated Eizo monitors.

Someone in another forum recommended this test image, which I've used in the past but forgot about;

http://outbackprint.outbackphoto.com...049/essay.html

The test image looks fine printed on Canon "Photo Paper Glossy" (not Platinum, or Glossy II or whatever). I can see all the black and white steps. But on Canon "Photo Paper Plus Semi-Gloss" the left three black steps are one black stripe, and the lightest white step is not anywhere near 100% white, and the print is too dark overall. Ironically, that's the only paper I've tried which has both a profile, and driver paper type, which have a name that exactly matches the type of paper (Photo Paper Plus Semi-Gloss). There is no "Photo Paper Glossy" profile, or paper type, and's the paper that works best.

One of the things I've really liked about my iPF6300 in the two years that I've had it is that not once in several hundreds of feet of roll paper have I printed anything that was objectionably different looking than my NEC monitor, no matter what kind of paper I used. There has not been one single time when I got a print that was too dark with the iPF6300. With my old i9900 I ran into some of what I'm experiencing with the Pro 100.

Mar 23, 2014 at 01:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

KatManDEW

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help: Canon Pixma Pro-100 prints darker image using photoshop cc

I have a friend in another city who got a Pro 100 last fall. He's been using only Photo Paper Lustre, and he is 100% happy with his prints. I remembered that I got 5 sheets of that with my printer, so I tried that test print with the lustre paper and, BINGO. It's PERFECT.

So Photo Paper Lustre works (and there's a profile and paper type for that paper). And Photo Paper Glossy works just almost as well (without a profile and paper type that matches the name exactly). But every other paper type I have tried failed miserably. It has to be profile problems...

I've wasted probably as much money in ink, as the printer cost, to figure that out

Mar 23, 2014 at 02:31 AM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Help: Canon Pixma Pro-100 prints darker image using photoshop cc

KatManDEW wrote:
Thanks John. I've tried everything you mentioned. One thing I've notice in 10+ years of printing is that soft proofing in Photoshop doesn't really work well. The image on-screen matched the prints better without soft proffing. I've seen video tutorials from paper manufacturers that say the same thing, using calibrated Eizo monitors.

Someone in another forum recommended this test image, which I've used in the past but forgot about;

http://outbackprint.outbackphoto.com...049/essay.html

The test image looks fine printed on Canon "Photo Paper Glossy" (not Platinum, or Glossy II or whatever). I can see all the black and white steps. But on Canon "Photo Paper Plus
...Show more

Link is broken....

Mar 23, 2014 at 02:32 PM
KatManDEW

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Help: Canon Pixma Pro-100 prints darker image using photoshop cc

Sorry about the broken link. Try this one;

http://outbackprint.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi049/essay.html

Mar 23, 2014 at 03:28 PM
hihat

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Help: Canon Pixma Pro-100 prints darker image using photoshop cc

Hi, are you using the latest firmware for the Pro-100? If you print out a nozzle check it should say at the bottom what the current firmware is. I think the latest is 1.10.

Some say upgrading to the latest firmware 'fixes' the too dark printing problem. There is a really long thread here that talks in depth about the situation.

My workflow is completely color managed and some of my shots also turn out dark and I just have had to boost the brightness by +10 or +15 in photoshop. Or +5 in Qimage. Good luck.

Mar 23, 2014 at 10:27 PM
KatManDEW

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Help: Canon Pixma Pro-100 prints darker image using photoshop cc

hihat wrote:
Hi, are you using the latest firmware for the Pro-100? If you print out a nozzle check it should say at the bottom what the current firmware is. I think the latest is 1.10.

Some say upgrading to the latest firmware 'fixes' the too dark printing problem. There is a really long thread here that talks in depth about the situation.

My workflow is completely color managed and some of my shots also turn out dark and I just have had to boost the brightness by +10 or +15 in photoshop. Or +5 in Qimage. Good luck.

Thanks for the info!

I upgraded my firmware from v1.04 to v1.1. So far it hasn't made any difference. Prints on Canon Photo Paper Plus Luster look fine for the most part. All other paper I have tried are too dark (using the appropriate ICC profiles).

Never had any kind of trouble like this with my iPF6300 (thankfully). But I did run into some similar problems with my Canon i9900 printer.

I would upload a pic of some comparison prints, but I don't have the option to upload photos here.

Mar 24, 2014 at 03:52 AM
gse53
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Help: Canon Pixma Pro-100 prints darker image using photoshop cc

But every other paper type I have tried failed miserably. It has to be profile problems...

After reading this, I profiled all my Canon papers with my colormunki. The color cast on black and white prints, using photo glossy II is gone. The pro luster print is improved as well. You would think Canon would know how to make a decent profile. I never thought that was the problem with my Pro 100 prints. More testing to be done to be sure.

Mar 26, 2014 at 02:14 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password