Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Gymnastics

evillemperor

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gymnastics

Shooting gymnastics was a first for me. I had shot dance before, but this was totally different. With the Red Rocks being a #1 team, I was very excited. For my first 2 meets I'm satisfied with them. Exposure is very difficult due to the lighting changes when they move and motion blur. I used a 5d MK III and 70-200 2.8 IS (version I)
I found my 5D is having problems maintaining focus/tracking. I've tried many different AF configurations. I think maybe I pressed too hard on the AF button on my camera/grip, so I'll have Canon take a look at that.
Thoughts?

CEA_1402 by Ayers Photo, on Flickr

0036 by Ayers Photo, on Flickr

0032 by Ayers Photo, on Flickr

0042 by Ayers Photo, on Flickr

0108 by Ayers Photo, on Flickr

0110 by Ayers Photo, on Flickr

I felt like the rule about needing eyes in the shot could be broken.
Also I might use a 300 2.8 next meet. Any advice with that?

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:38 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gymnastics

You'd have to be in the stands to use a 300. I'm sure that if you had your zoom at 200, you found you were working with tight compositions. I have to stand with my back against the west wall of the arena to shoot bars with a 200, for example, and it doesn't work because there's no way to prevent people from walking/standing between me and the event during the competition. See if you can't get your hands on a lens with a wider aperture. The 85 f/1.8 is great and you can shoot vault, bars and beam with it and buy yourself either a faster shutter speed or lower ISO.

We're shooting the same events, apparently, so we should meet and my biases might come through here. Your third and fifth shots don't work for me as well as the others. Three is a very cool release, but without face and without the bars, it doesn't have much to offer in my view. #5 doesn't even have the cool factor. I think I like the last shot best of your action captures, but it would be nice to have the beam in the frame. Given the angle, including the beam probably also includes a very messy background of judges, videographers, runners, etc., but that reference definitely would add to what you've captured.

Every rule can be broken to good effect, but that requires something else very compelling about the image. I'm not sure you've achieved that here with the two eyeless shots, but it will be interesting to see what others think.

Jan 29, 2014 at 12:52 AM
ian408
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gymnastics

0032 worked for me because of the symmetry and position. Better had her arms been fully out but I did like it. I think it would be better is part of a set than standalone.

0108 didn't work for me. Nothing special about it.

Jan 29, 2014 at 01:50 AM
Focus Locus
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gymnastics

EvilEmperor, you and Russ are shooting the same events? I wouldn't care how "evil" I was or how much of an "empire" I had, but I would jump higher than the gymnast in 0110 at the chance to meet Russ at his offered invitation if I were in your position. He's such a nice guy, and I'm sure you've had a chance to see his take from the same events here on the forum.

No matter how big the air, how wide the straddle, or how tight the pike... numbers 108 and 32 are back shots, which are only one vertebrae above a butt shot.

110 is compelling and infused with motion that inspires emotion... and that's good. But I still want to know what apparatus is she on? Floor or beam? I assume floor, but if that was beam, that would be a very interesting and important addition to the frame.

I know Russ got away with posting an apparatus-less leap in his recent take of the same meet... but seasoned gymnasts will already KNOW that was floor, because of the body position. It occurs to me that this bias of knowledge is not fair, but then again, if it is the market your pictures are intended to serve, that is something to consider.

42 shows a face of dogged death defying determination, but the gymnast won't appreciate that shot (looking neither graceful, proficient, athletic, or talented), and neither will the program. A hurdle step is something that 19 year old grown woman learned to do 14 years ago in level 3. At the collegiate level, she and her family would like to now see the well practiced athleticism that follows that beginning step.

1402 and 36 are your best choices here, appropriately picked by you as your leading off images.

Jan 29, 2014 at 03:12 AM
lhryshko
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gymnastics

Chris, I think you've done a great job if this is only your second time shooting gymnastics.

Please number your photos sequentially for easier critique. I'll pretend you did that and refer to them accordingly.

To me, 1-3 are your best shots with respect to timing and 6 is very close as well. I also like the fact that you appear to have sought out and utilized some amazingly dark and clean backgrounds in 2 and 3. Some of the best I've seen at the Huntsman. Even though 3 breaks all the rules, I still like it for the background, timing, chalk and symmetry. Numbers 4 and 5 are not strong, content wise, and number 6 needs context (i.e. the beam). Nonetheless, a very strong first effort.

Keep at it and you should definitely take Russ up on his offer, if possible.

Best wishes,

Larry

Jan 31, 2014 at 01:21 AM
onsitemn

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Gymnastics

I actually really like number 3 and 5 as well. I also like how you didn't blow out the skin tones, though the color in #2 looks a little funky. Really nice for being new to the sport.

Mar 01, 2014 at 02:55 PM
mikeyzee

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Gymnastics

0032 is beautiful, I can totally see that shot in a full 2 page feature spread in a magazine. Great shots.

Mar 03, 2014 at 01:54 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.