New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Canon 1.4x Extenders,...specifics

uglyatc

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 1.4x Extenders,...specifics

Yes, there are a ton of threads discussing their uses and differences in versions but rarely am I finding information specific to a Canon 70-200mm version II 2.8 USM lens. I am using a 7D. I am not a Pro,...shooting pics of my kids, sports and birds hitting my feeders in the backyard.

Questions:
Does it really matter which version of the Canon 1.4x extender to secure, be it the I,II, or III, that will marry well with the lens and camera previosly mentioned?
From a cosmetic viewpoint is the paint different between the versions?
Is it a fair assumption that most will say,... "Just get version III." ?

Thank you for the clarifications and recommendations.

Jan 28, 2014 at 07:49 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 1.4x Extenders,...specifics

They'll all work. The III is the best and the only one to match the exact color of the Mk ii version of your lens.

I don't think you can go wrong with the II or III version of the extenders. That being said, you did spend 2k for the version II of the 70-200. I assume you did that because you wanted the best zoom. Buy the Mk 2 extender if you want. If it works for you (it's a really good extender) use it and be happy.

The Mk III extender on your lens is very close in IQ to the 300mm f/4 is. It will be a great combo.

Edited on Jan 28, 2014 at 08:14 PM · View previous versions

Jan 28, 2014 at 07:57 PM
stempsons
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 1.4x Extenders,...specifics

the 3rd gen extenders are supposedly designed to work better with the second gen lenses (faster focus and slightly better contrast). from what i've read, it really applies more to the 2x extender than the 1.4x.

compare for your self using this link.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=687&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=5&API=2&LensComp=687&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=7&APIComp=0

Jan 28, 2014 at 08:00 PM
uglyatc

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 1.4x Extenders,...specifics

stempsons wrote:
the 3rd gen extenders are supposedly designed to work better with the second gen lenses (faster focus and slightly better contrast). from what i've read, it really applies more to the 2x extender than the 1.4x.

compare for your self using this link.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=687&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=5&API=2&LensComp=687&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=7&APIComp=0

Thanks for the link.

Canon makes a distinction of seeing the true shine from the TC coming at the super-tele range which I am assuming is anything out from 300mm,...with the 7D being a 1.6x crop it is getting pretty close to that.

Jan 28, 2014 at 08:31 PM
uglyatc

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 1.4x Extenders,...specifics

jasonpatrick wrote:
They'll all work. The III is the best and the only one to match the exact color of the Mk ii version of your lens.

I don't think you can go wrong with the II or III version of the extenders. That being said, you did spend 2k for the version II of the 70-200. I assume you did that because you wanted the best zoom. Buy the Mk 2 extender if you want. If it works for you (it's a really good extender) use it and be happy.

The Mk III extender on your lens is very close in
...Show more

OK, the paint match question was kinda lame, I realize it is about AF, optics, contrast, the list goes on and on. Like running shoes, it is about comfort and fit, not the color.
However, the price range between the version II and III is quite significant especially on the used market. Heck, even the new market! Well, it looks like I'll be saving my beans up for the III then, given your final comment in you post. These units seem to go pretty quickly on FM Sales board, I will be watching. Thank you for your quick post.

Jan 28, 2014 at 08:43 PM
uglyatc

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 1.4x Extenders,...specifics

This is like the only thread I could find on the combo I have. Some pros and con's as usual, which boils down to YMMV.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1133483

Jan 28, 2014 at 08:54 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 1.4x Extenders,...specifics

uglyatc wrote:
Canon makes a distinction of seeing the true shine from the TC coming at the super-tele range which I am assuming is anything out from 300mm,...with the 7D being a 1.6x crop it is getting pretty close to that.

No, a 70-200mm lens is still a 70-200mm lens, regardless of what body is attached to it.

Jan 28, 2014 at 09:19 PM
Roy Morales
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 1.4x Extenders,...specifics

In the store , I liked and bought the 2X III instead of the 2 X II - It just seemed to work better on the 70-200 mk II .
I think on canon's web site it says it works on the 70-200 mk II but not as well on the 70-200 mk I .

Jan 29, 2014 at 06:01 PM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 1.4x Extenders,...specifics

he 3rd gen extenders are supposedly designed to work better with the second gen lenses

The Mark III extenders contain electronics that work with the Mark II supertelephoto lenses, NOT the 70-200mm Mark II or other Mark II lenses.

John

Jan 29, 2014 at 07:05 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 1.4x Extenders,...specifics

Here's some old stuff,

70-200+2x, 100-400L, 300/4L+ 1.4x https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1209660/0#11525098
Extender 1.4x Mk I vs. Mk III https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1002803
Extender 2x Mk II vs. 2x Mk III https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1002804
EF Extenders Mk III and Kenko https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1023533

Jan 29, 2014 at 07:26 PM
Jeff Donald
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 1.4x Extenders,...specifics

This is from Canon Europe:

"Allowing professional photographers to shoot distant subjects without having to carry a number of heavy lenses with them, these new extenders ensure there is no compromise on image quality.
The Extender EF 1.4x III features seven lens elements in three groups, and the Extender EF 2x III features nine lens elements in five groups, ensuring improved optical performance. All optical elements use Canon’s Super Spectra coating, reducing ghosting and flare to minimise post-processing requirements. A new Fluorine Coating on the front and rear elements makes marks, such as spots left by water or fingerprints, much easier to clean than standard coatings.

To facilitate the accurate transfer of imaging data between the lens and camera body, both models feature an integrated processor which ensures all focusing, metering and ID information is available – allowing the photographer to capture crisp, well-exposed images. When combined with the latest range of premium Canon L-series lenses, these extenders enable higher AF accuracy compared to previous generations, ensuring professionals achieve perfectly sharp shots, even when capturing moving subjects.

Redesigned for high performance
The Extender EF 1.4x III and Extender EF 2x III have been designed to complement the latest range of L-series lenses, matching their appearance and offering a visible differentiation from previous models. A carefully positioned lens release mechanism also makes it easy to mount the extenders quickly, reducing the time that the camera and lens are exposed to the environment. The extenders offer the exceptional build-quality expected from Canon’s professional products, and are resistant to both dust and water, allowing photographers to use them in extreme shooting conditions."

The series ll 70~200mm f/2.8 should benefit from improved AF accuracy.

Jan 29, 2014 at 09:34 PM
uglyatc

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 1.4x Extenders,...specifics

Jeff Donald wrote:
This is from Canon Europe:

...When combined with the latest range of premium Canon L-series lenses, these extenders enable higher AF accuracy compared to previous generations, ensuring professionals achieve perfectly sharp shots, even when capturing moving subjects....

Redesigned for high performance
The Extender EF 1.4x III and Extender EF 2x III have been designed to complement the latest range of L-series lenses, matching their appearance and offering a visible differentiation from previous models....

The series ll 70~200mm f/2.8 should benefit from improved AF accuracy.

This sums up the essence of my inquiry. The wording is confusing from Canon as to what the 1.4x v.III benefits are for the particular lenses in service. In this particular case, I have a newer lens, being a Mk II, but in another light it is not a L series super-telephoto either. Maybe I am reading too much into this? At any rate, it would seem that most recommendations here would be to go with the 'newer is better option', hence the v.III.

Thank you Jeff for the clip.

Jan 30, 2014 at 11:31 AM
Roy Morales
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 1.4x Extenders,...specifics

Depending on what you read - like here the III model give closer focusing - read till you find it
http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/updates_supertelephoto_article.shtml

Here it says it won't change focusing distance , slow down AF , but lens glass does not move as much so speed is about the same
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-Extender-EF-1.4x-III-Review.aspx

Here it says it will work on 70-200 lenses , but slows down AF
http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2014/ef_extenders_pt2.shtml

Really confusing , I bought one , works fine on my 70-200 mk II - AF slows down in lower light .

Jan 30, 2014 at 06:03 PM
Jeff Donald
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 1.4x Extenders,...specifics

AF slows down when any lens is attached to a Canon Tele Extender. Canon designs the 1.4x TC to slow the AF down. Here is what Chuck Westfall had to say about the new extenders several years ago:

"As with previous EF Extenders, usage of Series III EF Extenders lowers AF drive speed to improve AF performance. When Extender EF 1.4X III is used, AF drive speed is reduced by 50%. When Extender EF 2X III is used, AF drive speed is reduced by 75%. This may seem like a drawback, but in reality subject tracking performance remains quite high when Series III Extenders are used with IS II lenses. This is due to improvements in AF precision made possible by the new microcomputer in the extenders."

In many cases the AF speed was improved with the series ll super teles. So, when combined with a series lll extender the net effect of the AF speed increase is not felt as much as when used without the extender.

Jan 31, 2014 at 03:31 AM
uglyatc

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 1.4x Extenders,...specifics

For those that like to research,... link below was helpful in my decision between the VII and VIII. Ultimately, I was able to secure a MINT, used VIII from a FM member off the FM Buy and Sell Forum.

http://slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1367

Thanks to all for the help!

Mar 02, 2014 at 12:16 PM
Mike Sowsun
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 1.4x Extenders,...specifics

jasonpatrick wrote:

The Mk III extender on your lens is very close in
...Show more

Can anyone confirm that newer 70-200 II's have the newer color? Mine doesn't. I got my 70-200 II when they first came out and mine has a 7 digit serial number and separate UY0500 date code

Here is a photo of my 70-200mm 2.8 IS II with the 2x III mounted. Both the 1.4x III and 2x III have the new "grayish" color while my lens still the old more "putty" color.

New 2x III behind a 70-200mm 2.8 IS II

Mar 02, 2014 at 06:31 PM
GWMT
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 1.4x Extenders,...specifics

I have the 70-200 IS ver I, is the best option the ver III converters, is there going to be a significant difference if I used the ver II? TIA. Gary

Mar 03, 2014 at 01:13 AM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 1.4x Extenders,...specifics

This thread is a little misleading. vIII TC will only talk to a vII lens when used on a 5DIII or 1Dx. Using a vII lens with a vIII TC on a 7D or MKIV does nothing extra. No talking to each other. Even worse a friend of mine a pro, believes the vIII on any vI lens is twitchy and I agree.

Mar 03, 2014 at 08:32 AM
Mike Sowsun
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon 1.4x Extenders,...specifics

Andrew J wrote:
This thread is a little misleading. vIII TC will only talk to a vII lens when used on a 5DIII or 1Dx. Using a vII lens with a vIII TC on a 7D or MKIV does nothing extra. No talking to each other. Even worse a friend of mine a pro, believes the vIII on any vI lens is twitchy and I agree.

I think you are actually adding to the misleading information.

Are you referring to the f/8 AF capability of the 5D Mk III and 1Dx? Or are you saying there is no additional communication at all if I were to use something like a 1D Mk IV with something like an EF 500mm f/4L IS II?

Also, you imply that the Mk III TC will "Talk" to all Mk II lenses. It is important to note that the very popular 70-200mm 2.8 IS II is NOT one of those lenses.

Mar 03, 2014 at 10:52 AM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon 1.4x Extenders,...specifics

There is no additional communication at all if you were to use something like a 1D Mk IV with something like an EF 500mm f/4L IS II - between the converter chip and lens.

Mar 03, 2014 at 10:54 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.