Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Review: Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

AGeoJO
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Review: Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

Great review and gorgeous images, Fred . My findings run parallel with yours. I said it before and I say it again here, I enjoy the A7r tremendously but it doesn't really replace my 5D Mark III. Actually, it is a great addition to my Canon system. There are situations where a DSLR simply does it better and quite few of them actually. But again, I am not strictly a landscape shooter.

Regarding the weight saving - if you use your "big and heavy" Canon lenses it is really not substantial, if any. In addition to the body, you have to have... adapters and I am sure you have more than just one, right ? Plus adding an L-bracket, etc. Hmmm, there goes the weight and bulk saving.

Convenience-wise - I am off to a photo shoot tomorrow and I will use lenses of various mounts for that. I will have to make sure that the L-bracket on the adapter mounted that way as it doesn't interfere with the camera and its own L-plate. So, I will mount them, make the adjustment, try them out, etc. first at home as I don't want to do that out there in the field. I remembered, I didn't have to do all those things when I shot strictly Canon. The pieces appeared to just fall into their places almost automatically.

I can put up with the lossy compression issue (what orange peel ?) but the shutter vibration is bothersome. Again, I am not shooting mostly landscape. There are ways to minimize those issues but they are not completely eliminated. It is beyond me why Sony could be so "stupid" (is that too harsh of a word here?) and omitted the electronic first shutter curtain in the 36MP A7r but included that in the 24MP A7. Oh, well .

Edited on Jan 29, 2014 at 01:47 AM · View previous versions

Jan 29, 2014 at 01:34 AM
lenticular11
• • •
p.2 #2 · Review: Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

Great review!

I particularly like the use of the legacy FD TS 35/2.8 T-S lens
I have that lens and plan to use it on an A7R.

Your review doesn't mention any colour-shift or smearing when pairing the camera with the Canon TS-E 17 or even the Samyang 14mm lenses. Is this the case

Jan 29, 2014 at 01:47 AM
thw2
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · Review: Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

Nicely written, well-balanced review with great photos!

Jan 29, 2014 at 01:49 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · Review: Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

lenticular11 wrote:
Your review doesn't mention any colour-shift or smearing when pairing the camera with the Canon TS-E 17 or even the Samyang 14mm lenses. Is this the case

Color shifting/smearing issues are pretty much inherent to wide angle rangefinder lenses. Adapter issues are the culprit for edge/corner softening also in wide angle lenses of single lens reflex lenses.

Jan 29, 2014 at 02:03 AM
Mike K
• • • •
p.2 #5 · Review: Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

Nice summary write up Fred. It saves a new comer from reading several really long threads. Thanks for your effort.

You discussed the litany of issues that early adopters have worked through. However you didn't mention the adapter (Metabones III) alignment questions. I know that you had tried 5 different copies to choose the best of the batch, certainly more effort that the average enthusiast will endure. My recollection is that with the average Metabones III adapter has excellent resolution in the center of the image, but the improvement of resolution was not carried out to the frame edge. Can you comment upon this?

Any other comments about use of other alt lenses with this combination?
Thanks, Mike K

Jan 29, 2014 at 02:17 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.2 #6 · Review: Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

very nice review. this certainly is the best option if one wants to use canon TS lenses on a sony exmor. However, after Roger's review of adapters, and the general poor tolerance, and degradation of image, as well as the mentioned issues of shutter vibration, the question becomes for many canon shooters if the extra resolution and DR worth the extra cost and hassle.

having lusted over the exmor sensor, and shot with d600 for a while and d800 very briefly, I found the extra resolution and DR were almost entirely academic for me, and if I wanted more dynamic range, I still had better results bracketing 5d3 shots, than pushing the d600 shots.

all that said, I would certainly welcome this sensor in a canon 6d type body.

Jan 29, 2014 at 03:56 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · Review: Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

AJSJones wrote:
The 5D3 has it, the A7R doesn't - that was the surprise

LR tends to show color moire from Canon DSLR

but yeah surprising not to be seen on the A7R shots

Jan 29, 2014 at 05:05 AM
snapsy
• • • •
p.2 #8 · Review: Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

skibum5 wrote:
LR tends to show color moire from Canon DSLR

but yeah surprising not to be seen on the A7R shots

Moiré occurs when a scene contains detail whose frequency is above the sensor's nyquist frequency sampling (1/2 nyquist to be precise). Since the A7r has more MP it has a higher nyquist, thus Moiré can appear on the lower density sensor and not the higher density sensor when the frequency of detail is above the lower density sensor's nyquist but below the higher density sensor's nyquist.

Jan 29, 2014 at 05:30 AM
AJSJones
• • •
p.2 #9 · Review: Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

snapsy wrote:
Moiré occurs when a scene contains detail whose frequency is above the sensor's nyquist frequency sampling (1/2 nyquist to be precise). Since the A7r has more MP it has a higher nyquist, thus Moiré can appear on the lower density sensor and not the higher density sensor when the frequency of detail is above the lower density sensor's nyquist but below the higher density sensor's nyquist.

That would be more reasonable if the 5D3 didn't have an AA filter and the Nyquists were really very different but neither of those is true (5D3 Nyquist is only ~25% less than A7R). That was the (precise) surprise.

Edited on Jan 29, 2014 at 03:28 PM · View previous versions

Jan 29, 2014 at 05:55 AM
stanj
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · Review: Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

Fred Miranda wrote:
I took it for a spin in Death Valley National Park and the results may surprise you.

Having shot with the D800E, I am not at all surprised. Well written, very tempting

Jan 29, 2014 at 05:56 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

lenticular11
• • •
p.2 #11 · Review: Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

AGeoJO wrote:
Color shifting/smearing issues are pretty much inherent to wide angle rangefinder lenses. Adapter issues are the culprit for edge/corner softening also in wide angle lenses of single lens reflex lenses.

Yes I know it's a problem particularly with RF wides, however other testing I've read of (some anecdotal) is that even non-RF lenses have been problematic on the 7R, hence my question.

Jan 29, 2014 at 06:05 AM
artd
• • •
p.2 #12 · Review: Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

Nicely done review Fred. And nice to see a report that demonstrates that the A7r can actually be used for real-world shooting instead of just internet debating

Jan 29, 2014 at 06:06 AM
snapsy
• • • •
p.2 #13 · Review: Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

AJSJones wrote:
That would be more reasonable if the 5D3 didn't have an AA filter and the Nyquists were really different but neither of those is true. That was the (precise) surprise.

The 5D3's AA filter is rather weak, so it's still including detail at frequencies above 1/2 nyquist (which is evidenced by Fred's 5D3 image with moiré). And the nyquists are different.

Jan 29, 2014 at 06:08 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · Review: Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

lenticular11 wrote:
Yes I know it's a problem particularly with RF wides, however other testing I've read of (some anecdotal) is that even non-RF lenses have been problematic on the 7R, hence my question.

I had about 12 wide angle lenses, zoom and prime lenses (Canon, Nikon, Zeiss ZE, ZF.2 and Leica-M) that I tried on the A7r using at least 2 or sometimes 3 adapters for each mount. In my experience, the corner/edge softness of the non-RF lenses are related to the quality of the adapter. A very slight tilt of the axis will result in just that and in that case, stopping down the aperture 5 or more stops barely makes any difference, even after diffraction comes to play. The ironic thing is, even within the same brand of adapters, there is a batch to batch variation . Fred tested a few Metabones adapters and I hope he can chime in later to that effect.

The 36MP sensor of the camera brings out the best and worst of your lenses. Lenses that perform somewhat weak in the corners tend to stand out more now since its weakness becomes now magnified. But if you stop down the aperture 3-4 stops you will notice a significant improvement there.

IMHO, the issues that you are referring to have mostly to do with quality of the adapter. And people tend to pixel peep now since it is a new camera and notice more "issues" they didn't notice before since the camera they used before did not quite have the resolving power/lower MP count.

Jan 29, 2014 at 06:48 AM
Toys6

p.2 #15 · Review: Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

Amazing pictures, as always - great review!

Shutter vibration:
I think Sony is able to offer an electronic first curtain for the A7r, but not down to 1/8000. So they went the mechanical way. My idea is to have an electr. first curtain for e.g. 1/500 and longer, but then switch to mechanical down to 1/8000.

This whould solve the problem, and on the other hand, whould make the cam more silent in typical indoor use - where it depends on silence. And finally, you don't have to think about any kind of delay.

Edited on Feb 02, 2014 at 06:08 PM · View previous versions

Jan 29, 2014 at 07:50 AM
philshoots
• • •
p.2 #16 · Review: Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

Good comment Toys6. The shutter is a serious concern as someone expecting to use long glass. As a wildlife shooter shutter noise also is problematic for close work. Hopefully Sony will take user feedback on board and address both issues.

Jan 29, 2014 at 09:36 AM
Toys6

p.2 #17 · Review: Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

I am almost convinced that the only reason is:

Sony cannot activate the 36MPx sensor fast enough, so they decided to use the fast mechanical shutter.
With longer exposure times, it should not be relevant, when the shutter needs some x/1000 seconds to start recording the data of the complete 36MPx area.

In comparison, the "smaller", easier to handle 24MPx sensor is doing the job - fast enough.

reg.,
Bernhard

Jan 29, 2014 at 09:54 AM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · Review: Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

I'm intrigued by this camera, and I haven't been a Sony fan since the Betamax days!

Seriously, the ability to pull details out of shadows would be quite useful, and considering the large investment I have in Canon glass, this might be a way to deal with it.

If only it were cheap (though for what it is, that is a good price really).

Thanks, Fred, for the review.

Jan 29, 2014 at 12:36 PM
philshoots
• • •
p.2 #19 · Review: Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

As with all new releases first owners tend to be the true beta testers.

This link may be of interest to the shutter vibration discussion. Not sure how keen I am adding different weight payloads to the body dependent on lens however. The presumed IS non-compatibility for long glass is another niggle. Sony needs to address these issues as it seriously hampers useability.

http://thecameraforum.com/a7r-shutter-vibration-problem-explained/

Thanks again for an informative review and lovely images Fred.

Jan 29, 2014 at 01:37 PM
Eric Gottesman
• • •
p.2 #20 · Review: Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

Makes me wish I could get one and a T/S lens. I'd love landscaping with that.

Thanks for the great information.

Jan 29, 2014 at 02:58 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password