FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

Archive 2014 · Review: Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Review: Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

Review: Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass
Sony’s full frame A7R catches the eye of Canon shooters with its adaptable mount. This compact, mirrorless body packs in a 36MP Exmor sensor and delivers impressive IQ and dynamic range.

I took it for a spin in Death Valley National Park and the results may surprise you.

Read my review:
Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

Jan 28, 2014 at 01:08 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Review: Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

Great hands-on review Fred. Was waiting until you put the boots to the setup. Now to go our and get one.

Thanks for your efforts.

Harry

Jan 28, 2014 at 01:18 PM
dfresh
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Review: Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

Thanks for taking the time to do this Fred! Out of curiosity, you mentioned that you don't notice the moire on the A7R dome sample, but to my inexperienced eyes it is clearly visible there and not present on the 5D3 sample. What am I missing?

EDIT: Oops, must have misread the image labels.

Edited on Jan 29, 2014 at 05:05 PM · View previous versions

Jan 28, 2014 at 02:07 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Review: Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

Thanks for the review Fred, great job as always. The work around for the adaptor is a put off however. I am still hoping that Canon will match or surpass this DR and resolution and as far as I am concerned, it can be mirrorless as well. I have the 5D3 for action.

Jan 28, 2014 at 02:28 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Review: Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

Fred, you don't write enough. That was a superb review and answered half a dozen questions I hadn't even gotten around to asking yet. Thank you!

Jan 28, 2014 at 03:17 PM
godfreyz
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Review: Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

Excellent review!

Jan 28, 2014 at 03:28 PM
Tuan Le
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Review: Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

Excellent review Fred! I've read a few already but yours has all the pertinent info needed for landscape photographers concisely explained. Now I just have to decide whether my next camera is going to be an A7 or A7R.

Jan 28, 2014 at 03:29 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Review: Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

Thanks so much for this concise and well written review, Fred. It clearly shows again the advantage of Sony's Exmor sensor against the older sensors in current Canon camera bodies. I am happy to see that the good Canon glass can be used on an alternative camera system effectively. Great landscape photos as always, too

ChrisRD
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Review: Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

Thanks Fred.

I'm not even interested in the camera but I checked-out your review because I knew there was going to be some awesome landscape shots...and I was not disappointed!

krickett
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Review: Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

The pics themselves sold the camera. The review is extra gravy!

Great review, thanks for the info

Jan 28, 2014 at 03:47 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Review: Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

Great review, Fred! Thanks!

I would have added to the "Cons" the "Rube Goldbergian" additional gear/customization to make the Canon line-up work properly. You mentioned the tolerence problems with Metabones, but didn't list the various contraptions and their inconsistencies as a con.

Since I don't use the Arca Swiss style tripod heads, the L-bracket leads to more expense which I prefer to avoid.

For those that can afford the added parts and home-made projects, not to mention a few native mount lenses, this looks like an amazing (if expensive!) imaging device. But personally, I just want to slap my Canon lenses on a Canon body with decent resolution. If that doesn't happen, I'm more inclined to finally do some work with the D800e and the Nikon lenses I have on hand.

Awesome photos!

Thank you for such a thorough report and these great examples.

Jan 28, 2014 at 03:52 PM
Picture This!
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Review: Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

Thoughtful, balanced and well written review with a great set of pictures. Based on actual experience with the camera over a period of time. Thanks for taking the time to do this Fred.

Jan 28, 2014 at 04:12 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Review: Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

Fred, thank you, you've realy got me thinking, what a great review, not to mention most useful info and your usual incredible images. Without a fullframe body in my kit, pondering either the 6D or 5D3, Sony is definitely in the mix with it's lighter weight and EXMOR sensor

Your inclusion of the older FD glass was a bonus in my case, you mentioned the Metabones III adapter for the EF glass, I'd be most interested in what adapter you used for your FD lenses; and the FD mount type it supports; older FD twist or the newer FD button?

Jerry

Edited on Jan 28, 2014 at 06:54 PM · View previous versions

Jan 28, 2014 at 04:18 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Review: Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

I'm interested in how the Sony 24-70 f4 lens performs when it is released next month. With the exception of Canon ts-e lenses, I'd be most interested in using the A7r with native, smaller Sony/Zeiss glass to keep the kits as small as possible. The 35 and 55 lenses have looked pretty good so far. Is there a roadmap of proposed lenses Sony plans to release for this camera?

Oh, Great review Fred!

Jan 28, 2014 at 06:07 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Review: Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

NCAndy wrote:
I'm interested in how the Sony 24-70 f4 lens performs when it is released next month. With the exception of Canon ts-e lenses, I'd be most interested in using the A7r with native, smaller Sony/Zeiss glass to keep the kits as small as possible. The 35 and 55 lenses have looked pretty good so far. Is there a roadmap of proposed lenses Sony plans to release for this camera?

Oh, Great review Fred!

I had the same thought. Other then my 17TSE, I suspect that several made for this camera lenses would be nice. For landscape only, I could see 14-70 covered by 2 zooms and the 17TSE.

Jan 28, 2014 at 06:15 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Review: Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

Great review and images. The review answered my questions and as a result, I'm going to wait till the fall to see what the adapter landscape looks like before making any moves. Likely by then, more information should be available from Canon about the possibility of Canon's high megapixel body. However, any Canon offering will probably be far more expensive than Sony.

Edited on Jan 29, 2014 at 03:46 PM · View previous versions

Jan 28, 2014 at 06:15 PM
eric hagemann
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Review: Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

Fred (anyone)

Have you tried any long duration exposures ? I am interested to know if the Sony incarnation of the Exmore sensors suffers from the same issues as the d800 in this regard

Cheers

Jan 28, 2014 at 06:52 PM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Review: Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

Beautiful photographs Fred!

Jan 28, 2014 at 07:52 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Review: Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

Fred, thanks for a great review

Jan 28, 2014 at 07:56 PM
AJSJones
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Review: Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

dfresh wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to do this Fred! Out of curiosity, you mentioned that you don't notice the moire on the A7R dome sample, but to my inexperienced eyes it is clearly visible there and not present on the 5D3 sample. What am I missing?

The 5D3 has it, the A7R doesn't - that was the surprise

Jan 28, 2014 at 08:16 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.