New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · In camera edits with Canon

ESeidle
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · In camera edits with Canon

I am primarily a LR user and make most of my edits by flagging my images in camera. When I know I will be pushing deadline I make WAV files or lock the image in camera, so when I import to LR I can see it pop up in the metadata signaling me that image is a keeper. I am looking for a better way to edit in camera as looking through metadata becomes tedious and isnt the fastest.

Is there any possible way to in camera mark my images so that it will boldly show in LR upon import? In Photo Mechanic there is a big check mark next to a image that was locked in camera but not in LR. Im hoping to find something similar.

I am a 1d3 and 5d3 user if that makes any difference in menu actions.

Edited on Jul 22, 2014 at 06:10 PM · View previous versions

Jan 28, 2014 at 12:22 PM
ESeidle
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · In camera edits with Canon

ttt

Jul 22, 2014 at 06:06 PM
giballi

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · In camera edits with Canon

Id be interested in this as well, it would save me so much time

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:02 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · In camera edits with Canon

I haven't found one yet but agree that this would be a great feature to have. Just some way to throw up a 5 star rating or color it red in camera during my downtime in a long day of shooting.

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:23 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · In camera edits with Canon

Canon provides you with the ability when reviewing images on the camera, to assign a rating from 1-5. In LR, you can see the rating easily.

Why aren't you doing this?

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:43 PM
ESeidle
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · In camera edits with Canon

Shutter-

I was unaware of the star rating. Can I also do this on the older 1d3? Thanks for the tip!

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:46 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · In camera edits with Canon

On my 6D and 70D I can edit RAW files in-camera: monkey with exposure, WB, NR, sharpening, pic styles, rate images, etc. At first I thought they were silly features but can be useful if you want to tweak before uploading a few pics while traveling. However, I think these are features of fairly recent EOS.

Jul 23, 2014 at 03:41 AM
Larate
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · In camera edits with Canon

I'm afraid that the in-camera photo rating is available on 5D3 and newer bodies. If memory serves, Magic Lantern includes this feature (on supported body which alas excludes the 1D3).

As a side note, although the rear screen is bigger and better with new bodies, my monitor is far more accurate to check photo quality - ok it's a calibrated 30'' :'). And with Lr, I think it's easy and fast to check photos (reject/keep markers, ratings, trash all rejected photos).

Jul 23, 2014 at 05:15 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · In camera edits with Canon

I haven't used it but I did come across this LR plug-in that seems to do what you want. Looks like it costs about $11 U.S..

http://www.photographers-toolbox.com/products/jbeardsworth/locktastic/index.php

I think I saw some specialized card copy utilities that might do this type of thing as well so some more Googling may turn up other alternatives.

Jul 23, 2014 at 05:20 AM
JimboCin
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · In camera edits with Canon

As Shutter mentioned, with your 5D Mk III you can assign star ratings to images, from no stars to five stars. Canon calls this feature "Rating." It appears under the section titled "Setting Ratings" on page 255 of the Canon 5D Mk III Instruction Manual. These star ratings are carried over into both Photo Mechanic and Lightroom.

As Gochugogl noted, this feature is a more recent Canon feature. It is not available with your 1D Mk III.

Jul 23, 2014 at 05:27 AM
ebiggs
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · In camera edits with Canon

You would rather apply settings to photos on a tiny 3" screen opposed to a 27". or so, computer monitor?
Amazing!?!

Edited on Jul 23, 2014 at 03:14 PM · View previous versions

Jul 23, 2014 at 08:56 AM
markshelby
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · In camera edits with Canon

Is there no way to search for locked files in the metadata filter of LR?

Jul 23, 2014 at 02:52 PM
JimboCin
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · In camera edits with Canon

ebiggs wrote:
You would rather apply settings to photos on a tiny 3: screen opposed to a 27". or so, computer monitor?
Amazing!?!

Just to be clear, we are talking simply about applying a rating to a photo to flag it for a later purpose. Many photographers, myself included, do this as an initial culling of possibles from the bad photos. It can be most helpful and a time saver, and can be especially useful for those with limited time.

Lets say you are shooting a football game and want to get your better images in fast. During the game you have time at half-time, between plays etc. where you can quickly look through your images in-camera and differentiate the losers from the possibles. You can assign a one star to the possibles. There are many other situations where doing this can be helpful.

Looking through images quickly in Lightroom can be a hopeless task, which is why many of us who need to get through and rate thousands of images quickly use something a lot faster than Lightroom - like Photo Mechanic.

Jul 23, 2014 at 03:18 PM
ebiggs
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · In camera edits with Canon

No I have never done that practice. I use smaller CF cards so I am changing them often so it would not work for me.
I go through LR with a rough deletion process quickly with four showing at a time. I find that to be very fast since I can have several thousand photos of each wedding or event. No football games!
At this point in my life I don't even look at the LCD beyond verifying it worked and the exposure was not crazy.

Jul 23, 2014 at 03:35 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · In camera edits with Canon

Awesome, didn't know that the in camera rating was appropriately read by Lightroom. Will definitely try this next time I cover a music festival. Should be great for labeling the keepers out in the field when I am just chatting up fans and photographers between shows.

Jul 23, 2014 at 05:33 PM
ebiggs
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · In camera edits with Canon

kezeka wrote:
Should be great for labeling the keepers out in the field when I am just chatting up fans and photographers between shows.

Why not just delete the "non-keepers"?

Jul 23, 2014 at 08:24 PM
JimboCin
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · In camera edits with Canon

Sounds like you don't do high volume work in raw. I can easily take 3,000 images a day. Its very fast and easy to use the star rating system. Not so fast to delete.

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:42 PM
panicatnabisco
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · In camera edits with Canon

I do in-camera rating for my photos in my 1dx and 5d3 and sort it later on lightroom

Jul 24, 2014 at 05:55 AM
Larate
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · In camera edits with Canon

As said by ebiggs (I'm not alone, thank you!), when I have time to review my photos in camera, I delete the failed ones directly. So less to import in Lr, and less to review.
But to rate my photos (at least with my own rating levels) by scrutinying them on the camera LCD screen while I can do it later quietly on a 30" monitor doesn't help my eyesight nor my camera's batteries!

Jul 26, 2014 at 05:15 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.