Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Anyone using Magic Lantern Dual ISO and RAW format?

ccho
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone using Magic Lantern Dual ISO and RAW format?

I was wondering if anyone was currently using ML on a dual iso-capable DSLR, and hopefully see some lightly-processed samples developed from RAWs. I don't have a desperate need to eke an additional stop of dynamic range, but it could be convenient to have the option for especially contrasty lighting. I haven't been able to find many posts from actual users on the ML forums and it would definitely be helpful to hear your experiences with it. Thanks in advance.

Jan 27, 2014 at 04:12 PM
kodakeos
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone using Magic Lantern Dual ISO and RAW format?

I also would like to know. I almost bricked my camera because the instructions I read didnt specify that I needed to use a specific older firmware.
I am also unsure what steps are required to USE the raw files - as it sounds like you need to use a couple various apps to get them into a JPG

Jan 27, 2014 at 08:47 PM
ccho
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone using Magic Lantern Dual ISO and RAW format?

Here's Fred's thread on using dual ISO:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1227441/0

I wasn't able to find any info in the thread specifically for Mac, but found this post on ML forums -- not for the command-line averse: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7645.0

Jan 28, 2014 at 03:53 PM
ccho
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone using Magic Lantern Dual ISO and RAW format?

I investigated a bit further and was preparing to compile, but then I read that the bootflag (which needs to be enabled for the dual ISO feature, and causes a two-second power on) is permanently set as there isn't a currently known way to reset it, even after removing ML. Since I don't want to hurt the resale value nor make it more difficult to repair if anything goes wrong, I guess I'll wait until it's a reversible process.

Feb 03, 2014 at 08:10 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone using Magic Lantern Dual ISO and RAW format?

ccho wrote:
I investigated a bit further and was preparing to compile, but then I read that the bootflag (which needs to be enabled for the dual ISO feature, and causes a two-second power on) is permanently set as there isn't a currently known way to reset it, even after removing ML. Since I don't want to hurt the resale value nor make it more difficult to repair if anything goes wrong, I guess I'll wait until it's a reversible process.

Are you sure that the 'bootflag' is on the camera and not on the memory card?

Feb 03, 2014 at 09:16 PM
super35
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone using Magic Lantern Dual ISO and RAW format?

I'm not using dual ISO but the process is not that complicated. You simply drag and drop the dual ISO cr2 file onto cr2hdr.exe and you get a DNG file that is ready to process as any other raw file in ACR. You can find cr2hdr.exe, a sample dual ISO cr2 file, as well as instructions in the first post of this thread.
Magic Lantern Dual ISO thread
The sample they provided has over 14 stops of dynamic range and the exposure can be pushed 5 stops (maximum in ACR 8) without any banding artifacts.

Also, I'd like to clear up a few things about Magic Lantern on the 5D3.

1. There is no power on delay when you are not using magic lantern.

2. There is about a 2 second delay coming out of sleep mode. So if you don't want any delay, turn off the back info screen to save battery, and turn off the sleep mode, or set it to a high value, like 8 minutes.

3. They are now actively working on a new port of Magic Lantern for the 5D3 using the latest firmware (1.2.3) and they also have some hope of finding a way to remove the bootflag. A new approach for that is being investigated right now.

Meanwhile I am not waiting for Canon, I already have EC on M and better Auto ISO in Av and Tv modes. Magic Lantern Auto ISO on the 5D3

Feb 03, 2014 at 09:27 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone using Magic Lantern Dual ISO and RAW format?

bootflag is only on memory card. once the memory card is out, the camera boots as if there is no magic lantern.
I would be very happy if they port it to firmware 1.2.3, so I can gain f8 autofocus.
Also, the canon 5d3 at iso 100 has a native DR of 11.7, magic lantern expends to to over 14, so its 2.5 stops. Nothing to sneeze it. this does however come at cost of resolution, and extra work, and if no moving objects are present in the image, doing a hand blend of 2 images may yield better results.

Feb 04, 2014 at 02:20 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone using Magic Lantern Dual ISO and RAW format?

There is a bootable flag on the card and a boot flag on the camera. The boot flag on the camera is required to execute developer builds of the 5DM3 ML firmware. Right now there is no 100% reliable way to remove the boot flag on the camera - I was able to do it on my 5DM3 but others have reported issues/bricking when they attempted it. So if you ever intend to sell your 5DM3 I'd suggest not using a developer build until a solution to remove the camera boot flag has been finalized by the ML developers.

Feb 04, 2014 at 02:25 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone using Magic Lantern Dual ISO and RAW format?

kevindar wrote:
bootflag is only on memory card. once the memory card is out, the camera boots as if there is no magic lantern.
I would be very happy if they port it to firmware 1.2.3, so I can gain f8 autofocus.
Also, the canon 5d3 at iso 100 has a native DR of 11.7, magic lantern expends to to over 14, so its 2.5 stops. Nothing to sneeze it. this does however come at cost of resolution, and extra work, and if no moving objects are present in the image, doing a hand blend of 2 images may yield better results.

I think when a stable build is out for the 1.2.3 firmware, I'd be interested as well. I use f/8 focusing too much now to be without it.

Feb 04, 2014 at 08:41 AM
ccho
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anyone using Magic Lantern Dual ISO and RAW format?

kevindar wrote:

Basically what snapsy posted right after you posted. The alpha build of ML doesn't require the bootflag to be set but RAW video and dual ISO features are only included in the nightly builds currently and require the in-camera bootflag to be set.

Feb 04, 2014 at 09:53 AM
Shield
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anyone using Magic Lantern Dual ISO and RAW format?

I've been shooting raw 5d3 video for a while - the startup delay is negligible - 2 second startup I'm not seeing. But you do have to be careful and follow the directions. I've played with the dual ISO feature and it's pretty cool...

Feb 04, 2014 at 01:08 PM
ronno
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anyone using Magic Lantern Dual ISO and RAW format?

I had read earlier that the ML could not be removed from the camera. Is that referring to just the boot flag?
Also, where can one see some full-size images shot with the dual ISO?
thx.

Feb 09, 2014 at 12:35 PM
ccho
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Anyone using Magic Lantern Dual ISO and RAW format?

Just the boot flag on the 5dmk3. You shouldn't have issues with the 5dmk3 if you use the alpha release though as it doesn't require the bootflag to be set on the camera, but also lacks RAW video and dual ISO. There's support to reset the bootflag for other camera models such as the 5dmk2 though.

Feb 11, 2014 at 11:02 AM
robinlee
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Anyone using Magic Lantern Dual ISO and RAW format?

It's pretty easy once you had all the right files. It is just a plug and play additional features. Although I am not running ML at the moment but the SD card remains in the camera, just in case if I needed it, I just activate it otherwise it will be turn off like a light switch

Feb 11, 2014 at 03:47 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.