Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2014 · how many of you use extension tubes for ring shots?

duet
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · how many of you use extension tubes for ring shots?

like the subject says, how many of you use them for wedding?

also let's talk about choosing and using extension tubes over macro lenses specifically for wedding works.

For me, I would only use and need macro lenses for ring shots and such. I've thought of buying 100mm macro L lens (im a canon user btw) because it can be both macro and great portrait lens, but I really love my 85 for portraits. Therefore I couldn't justify buying another lens just for ring/detail shots. It seemed extension tubes were more cost-effective and right choice.

I'd love to hear your thoughts fellows.

Jan 27, 2014 at 02:33 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · how many of you use extension tubes for ring shots?

I use tubes for ring shots. I use the smallest tube. (Think it's a 12mm.) An 85 works well with it but, over time, I've migrated to a 135 for superior optics. (A 50 brings you too close to the subject.)

Jan 27, 2014 at 04:18 AM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · how many of you use extension tubes for ring shots?

$60 for a good set of tubes, $900+ for a good macro lens.

Yeah, I'm taking the tubes. The client can't tell the slightest difference between the two anyway.

Jan 27, 2014 at 07:23 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · how many of you use extension tubes for ring shots?

Jamesbjenkins wrote:
$60 for a good set of tubes, $900+ for a good macro lens.

The one thing, James, that I wonder about is if the image stabilization of the macro lens comes in handy. With the tubes, I am having to set up a tripod. Is tripod still needed with the macro lens when doing ring shots?

Jan 27, 2014 at 07:43 AM
duet
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · how many of you use extension tubes for ring shots?

D. Diggler wrote:
The one thing, James, that I wonder about is if the image stabilization of the macro lens comes in handy. With the tubes, I am having to set up a tripod. Is tripod still needed with the macro lens when doing ring shots?

well it depends if the macro lenses have IS/OS. some macro lenses don't have them mostly shorter focal length macro lenses so you many handheld depending on the lighting situation.

Jan 27, 2014 at 08:12 AM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · how many of you use extension tubes for ring shots?

D. Diggler wrote:

I've never had much issue with shooting handheld, provided I'm able to light it properly. Ever since I started using an OCF with a small softbox to light my macro ring shots, I haven't had any issues.

I imagine if I were depending on natural light, a tripod would probably be mandatory.

Jan 27, 2014 at 08:49 AM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · how many of you use extension tubes for ring shots?

Tubes, handheld, OCF with a couple of lights usually. Handheld means I shoot several bursts and end up with fifty or so images to choose from, and sometimes I'll do a quick little bit of focus stacking.

Tubes are a tenth the price of a good macro lens and achieve exactly the same result.

Jan 27, 2014 at 08:57 AM
Cassario
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · how many of you use extension tubes for ring shots?

The newer Kenko tubes are amazing. I love them, and they're only $200 compared to what a nice macro lens would cost you.

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:16 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · how many of you use extension tubes for ring shots?

I've used Kenko tubes (and TC's) in the past and found them well made and good value too. I've personally never photographed any wedding rings though, AFAIK...

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:28 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · how many of you use extension tubes for ring shots?

NOT......

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:30 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · how many of you use extension tubes for ring shots?

I've been using a $400 Canon 100/2.8 macro for ring shots for the past 8 years. Closer than tubes, sharper than tubes, simply better results. Tubes are "good enough" for most people, but I try not to hang my hat on pictures that are "good enough".

Jan 27, 2014 at 01:44 PM
Bartlett Pair
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · how many of you use extension tubes for ring shots?

I have not considered extension tubes in the past, but this dude's article makes me want to try it. I already have the Canon 100 2.8, which literally only gets used for ring shots. My main incentive for switching to tubes would be to save space for another lens in my ThinkTank Lens Changer 3.

Seems like the downsides of switching are:
1) Light Loss (if my math is correct, using a 20mm tube on a 50mm lens adds 40% of the lens length and thus will require you to open up by 1 f-stop, not a big deal).
2) Distortion (not sure on details here)

Anyone try close up lenses like 250d or 500d? Aside from being limited to one filter size, how will they fare for ring shots?

Jan 27, 2014 at 02:01 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · how many of you use extension tubes for ring shots?

I use macro lenses - the 105 micro is a nice portrait lens as well if I want a little more reach than my 85

Jan 27, 2014 at 03:31 PM
StevenMI
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · how many of you use extension tubes for ring shots?

I use extension tubes mostly but don't have experience with that lens. What exactly are you basing your claim of "closer than tubes, sharper than tubes" on? The extension tube set I have when using all of them together gets me WAY closer than I could possibly ever need to be for a ring shot. I also haven't noticed any loss in sharpness from the L lenses that I use the tubes with. I'm guessing it's because there's nothing but air between the lens itself and the sensor so i'm assuming it doesn't effect the optics at all. Is the Canon 100 macro actually sharper than the 35L/50L/85L?

deepbluejh wrote:
I've been using a $400 Canon 100/2.8 macro for ring shots for the past 8 years. Closer than tubes, sharper than tubes, simply better results. Tubes are "good enough" for most people, but I try not to hang my hat on pictures that are "good enough".

Jan 27, 2014 at 03:32 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · how many of you use extension tubes for ring shots?

StevenMI wrote:
I use extension tubes mostly but don't have experience with that lens. What exactly are you basing your claim of "closer than tubes, sharper than tubes" on? The extension tube set I have when using all of them together gets me WAY closer than I could possibly ever need to be for a ring shot. I also haven't noticed any loss in sharpness from the L lenses that I use the tubes with. I'm guessing it's because there's nothing but air between the lens itself and the sensor so i'm assuming it doesn't effect the optics at all. Is the
...Show more

Extension tubes magnify the optical properties of a lens near minimum focusing distance. Like a teleconverter, there is always some loss in quality, though with the right lens it will probably be minimal.

As for the lenses you mention, what you have to keep in mind is that most fast aperture lenses are NOT very good at MFD. In order to utilize the tubes properly, you need a lens that is really sharp near MFD. For instance...trying to use my 50L with tubes for ring shots would be borderline disastrous optically. On the other hand, a 24-70/2.8 stopped down a little bit would probably be pretty decent.

Either way, they are a compromise solution. I'm not here to bash anyone who chooses to use them, but a dedicated macro is better in just about every way.

Jan 27, 2014 at 03:40 PM
duet
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · how many of you use extension tubes for ring shots?

deepbluejh wrote:
Extension tubes magnify the optical properties of a lens near minimum focusing distance. Like a teleconverter, there is always some loss in quality, though with the right lens it will probably be minimal.

As for the lenses you mention, what you have to keep in mind is that most fast aperture lenses are NOT very good at MFD. In order to utilize the tubes properly, you need a lens that is really sharp near MFD. For instance...trying to use my 50L with tubes for ring shots would be borderline disastrous optically. On the other hand, a 24-70/2.8 stopped down a little
...Show more

Thank you for your opinion, I really appreciate it and I dont disagree with you. When it comes to macro shots, if one has to choose for quality and control, it'd be a right choice to choose macro over tubes anytime. However, since we are talking about wedding photography, we cannot neglect versatility. Like I said previously, I feel like I would just use the macro lenses in the morning for ring shots and such, and put them away in my bag afterward. I'd like to hear where else you use the lenses throughout the day expect for the details. Thank you!

Jan 27, 2014 at 04:14 PM
BKphotography
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · how many of you use extension tubes for ring shots?

I have the older Nikon 60mm.

I payed about £250 for it.

Great contrast and super sharp lens, nice lens to have a hand.

Never tried tubes.

Jan 27, 2014 at 04:46 PM
martinezphoto
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · how many of you use extension tubes for ring shots?

Just bought these after seeing some of the results my friend was getting with his tubes:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AEEDRFM/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I only use my Nikon 105 for ring shots and my main reason for giving the tubes a shot is the opportunity to carry one less lens. So far I am very pleased.

Jan 27, 2014 at 06:37 PM
Bartlett Pair
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · how many of you use extension tubes for ring shots?

Any thoughts on Xit tubes vs Kenko tubes? Kenko is 4x the price. Both are electronic, and since there's no glass involved I can only assume the difference is durability. I was gonna try on a 50 prime, so it's not like I'm strapping a huge 70-200 on it and need the tube to be extra strong. What am I missing?

Jan 27, 2014 at 06:45 PM
duet
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · how many of you use extension tubes for ring shots?

Bartlett Pair wrote:
Any thoughts on Xit tubes vs Kenko tubes? Kenko is 4x the price. Both are electronic, and since there's no glass involved I can only assume the difference is durability. I was gonna try on a 50 prime, so it's not like I'm strapping a huge 70-200 on it and need the tube to be extra strong. What am I missing?

if you not planning on mounting heavy lenses on the tubes, then Xit should work even though I don't have any experience with them. only concern is its electronic connection, but since it has some number of fair reviews, I would give it a shot.

Jan 27, 2014 at 08:50 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.