New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · LCD hourglass during image review

Kell
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LCD hourglass during image review

anybody seen this?..on my new D610...noticed it when I first bought it doing stills with SD Ex Pro 95mbs cards, returned them thinking it was a card issue..bought the 45mbs Extreme cards and it didn't happen until just today...very random...release mode S...out of the blue after a snap I'll see the hourglass and a delay, maybe 10 seconds or so before the image review will work....thanks

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:44 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LCD hourglass during image review

Are you overfilling the buffer?

Jan 27, 2014 at 01:04 AM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LCD hourglass during image review

no, not all...this happens when I just have just shot a few pics (non burst release mode) , pause..take another pic and just randomly I'll get an hour glass and delay in it appearing in the review...this happened in jpeg and RAW

Jan 27, 2014 at 01:31 AM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LCD hourglass during image review

both my cameras have brain farts now & then

Jan 27, 2014 at 01:31 AM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LCD hourglass during image review

yeah, who knows..unless it get problematic guess I won't worry...had a D90 and D700 for years and never experienced this...

Jan 27, 2014 at 01:42 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LCD hourglass during image review

Are you viewing them on the RGB histogram screen? Because that slows down image review. Shouldn't slow it down by 10 seconds though.

Jan 27, 2014 at 02:33 AM
socaltyger

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · LCD hourglass during image review

Happens now and then on my D600 as well.

Jan 27, 2014 at 05:00 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · LCD hourglass during image review

I had this problem on my D300 and it turned out to be a faulty memory card... replaced the card and all is well. Have you noticed it only happens with one specific card? Or does it happen with any/all cards?

Jan 27, 2014 at 06:41 AM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · LCD hourglass during image review

no on the Histogram screen and when it happened the first time it was with brand new SD Ex Pro 95mbs cards and so I returned them thinking it was a card issue..bought the 45mbs Extreme cards and all was well, figured that solved the problem until it finally randomly recurred yesterday so doubt 2 different brand new Sandisk sd cards are the issue...(I've actually NEVER had an SD card failure or error of any kind)...

"Happens now and then on my D600 as well." ....guess that's what I was looking to hear, working as designed just gets hung up occasionally for whatever reasons...thanks

Jan 27, 2014 at 07:35 AM
RoyC
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · LCD hourglass during image review

Try this, turn off the automatic image review and just use the arrow button to bring up an image. I never get the hour glass when I ask for an image.

Jan 27, 2014 at 08:49 AM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · LCD hourglass during image review

"I never get the hour glass when I ask for an image." are you saying you have this issue and have implemented this workaround as a solution?

I might, but shouldn't have to compromise with a 'workaround' for what may be considered a defect...if it's as random and infrequent as it is then I can live with the occasional annoyance...kinda' doubt sending it in for a warranty issue will resolve it, but if it gets bad I will at some point....the fact that it apparently occurs in D600's as well and wasn't addressed in the D610...well, who knows

Jan 27, 2014 at 09:48 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · LCD hourglass during image review

It happens.
It happens on my D800e very rarely, but it does get lost sometimes.

Jan 27, 2014 at 10:06 AM
RoyC
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · LCD hourglass during image review

Kell wrote:
"I never get the hour glass when I ask for an image." are you saying you have this issue and have implemented this workaround as a solution?

I might, but shouldn't have to compromise with a 'workaround' for what may be considered a defect...if it's as random and infrequent as it is then I can live with the occasional annoyance...kinda' doubt sending it in for a warranty issue will resolve it, but if it gets bad I will at some point....the fact that it apparently occurs in D600's as well and wasn't addressed in the D610...well, who knows

No, I am saying I do not have auto review turned on and I have never seen the hour glass. Auto review seems like a good way to waste battery power but do you actually look at every image?

Yes, I am aware some people define anything not working the way they want to be a defect.

Jan 27, 2014 at 01:24 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · LCD hourglass during image review

Not sure if it's a "defect" or just the fact that the D600/610 are at the lower end of the totem pole, but my first D600 did this once. Just randomly.. when I hit the preview button, it did the hourglass thing while the LED rapidly flashed for about 10-15 seconds and I couldn't do anything. I dismissed it with the assumption that the D600 was not made to be a speed demon. I replaced it with a D800 and a D4. Both cameras don't have this hourglass issue. After a year, I sold the D800 and bought a D600 again. So far, I haven't seen the hourglass thing on this new D600 (or I just haven't encountered it yet). But I wouldn't be surprised if I see it again. I'm using Sandisk 16GB UHS-1 cards.

Jan 27, 2014 at 03:34 PM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · LCD hourglass during image review

RoyC wrote:
No, I am saying I do not have auto review turned on and I have never seen the hour glass. Auto review seems like a good way to waste battery power but do you actually look at every image?

Yes, I am aware some people define anything not working the way they want to be a defect.

wow, really? I said "may" be "considered" a defect..rather than defined it as one...and as far as "not working the way I want it to"...well, the expectation based on my past nikon dslr's never having exhibited this behavior set the precedence of it reviewing the image consistently...I tried to rule out cards so it is isolated to some issue with processing in camera obviously...I doubt Nikon designed it to randomly hang up occasionally

Jan 27, 2014 at 03:59 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.