Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2014 · Not nearly as terrible as I expected...

Jamesbjenkins
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Not nearly as terrible as I expected...

So, I have a bride who's getting married in June, and we did their engagement session down in Houston last weekend. The middle of last week, I get a text from her basically saying "So, I've been researching cool stuff to do with our pictures, and I really like where the whole picture is in black and white, but there's a part in color that you really want to emphasize...can you do that with one of ours?"

Of course, I haven't done selective color in years, but I'm certainly not going to tell a bride "Umm, no. That's pretty much heresy to any legit photographer. You have horrible taste, Mrs. Client..." So, I politely tell her that it's not really part of my style, but I'll keep an eye out for a good candidate if an image might work for it. And I thought that was that...

So, I'm going through editing today, completely forgotten about the selective color request, until I get to the below image, and it occurs to me that it might make a decent candidate for a try at selective color. I fully expected it to look hideous and awful, as 99.999% of selective color images do...but I was very pleasantly surprised.

It may just be me being blind, but I actually kinda like the final result. I feel like the picture frame provides a really interesting element to the creative process here.

What do you think? Am I completely off here, or is this one actually not half bad?

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:19 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Not nearly as terrible as I expected...

I hate it, and hate all picture frame photos as well.

But they might love you for it.

Can you tolerate it being spread around to represent your brand?

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:32 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Not nearly as terrible as I expected...

I saw on Facebook that the "bride to be" loved it. That's good news! For me I'm not a fan of it, but if you think it supports your brand, more power to you.

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:50 PM
lilyphoto
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Not nearly as terrible as I expected...

These kind of requests are things that I'll gladly do for a client, but no way would I personally post it on my blog, website, or Facebook.

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:22 PM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Not nearly as terrible as I expected...

morby wrote:
I saw on Facebook that the "bride to be" loved it. That's good news! For me I'm not a fan of it, but if you think it supports your brand, more power to you.

Oh, don't get me wrong. It certainly doesn't support my brand. I only posted it in the preview album on my FB because the bride specifically requested it, and I knew as soon as the bride got her hands on it I'd be tagged anyway.

I'm only posting it here because I was amused at how little I hate it. And because I wanted to see if I was completely bonkers for not hating it.

Nothing more.

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:01 AM
Depth of Feel
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Not nearly as terrible as I expected...

It's fun. Who cares. I think it's fun. Our clients are not artists. Do I do it, no. But if it was trendy enough to make the majority of my clients happy I would.

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:04 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Not nearly as terrible as I expected...

I'm not a huge fan, but it's one of the better examples of selective colour I've seen

And we're here to please the client after all, so I'd say it's mission accomplished

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:19 AM
WalnutPond
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Not nearly as terrible as I expected...

Selective color = always hate in my eyes. I just can't get past it. this is better than most, but still.....

Jan 27, 2014 at 11:16 AM
DONIV
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Not nearly as terrible as I expected...

I've seen a lot worse...first word that comes to mind is "cheesy" I think most of the clients I attract would say the same. That being said, I have one of our biggest clients for 2014 request a selective color shot. Will I do it... hell yea.

Jan 27, 2014 at 11:31 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Not nearly as terrible as I expected...

I think you did a good job in fulfilling these two clichés together if that is your goal but I'm def not a fan of selective color or a literal picture frame within a frame.

brad

Jan 27, 2014 at 01:50 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Not nearly as terrible as I expected...

I have told clients straight up that I don't do selective color. The only bride in 3-4 years that asked me for it accepted my response, and ended up LOVING her wedding photos.

Jan 27, 2014 at 03:33 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Not nearly as terrible as I expected...

You know what I hate more than selective coloring? Selective coloring shot through a frame . I agree with lilyphoto... i probably just give her the photo with no watermark.

Jan 27, 2014 at 03:40 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Not nearly as terrible as I expected...

One of the better implementations I've seen, but still super tacky. I'd deliver it to the couple on request, but wouldn't put my watermark on it.

Jan 27, 2014 at 03:46 PM
david1234
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Not nearly as terrible as I expected...

Clients always right, even if their wrong

Jan 27, 2014 at 04:24 PM
BKphotography
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Not nearly as terrible as I expected...

I think selective colouring can be pulled off with one or two colours but I find this image far too busy.

The angle and the colour of the frame are a big turn off as well.

Also, is this heavily cropped? The detail looks kinda off.

I haven't done a SC image for quite a few years now, most clients don't ask now and a handful that do can have sense talked into them

Jan 27, 2014 at 04:41 PM
jamesmorophoto
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Not nearly as terrible as I expected...

" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Just walk away...

Jan 27, 2014 at 08:19 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Not nearly as terrible as I expected...

Robin Usagani wrote:
You know what I hate more than selective coloring? Selective coloring shot through a frame

Has anyone else ever seen selective coloring combined with a frame like this? I haven't.

Jan 27, 2014 at 10:11 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Not nearly as terrible as I expected...

SloPhoto wrote:
I hate it, and hate all picture frame photos as well.

morby wrote:
For me I'm not a fan of it, but if you think it supports your brand, more power to you.

lilyphoto wrote:
no way would I personally post it on my blog, website, or Facebook.

WalnutPond wrote:
Selective color = always hate in my eyes. I just can't get past it. this is better than most, but still.....

jamesmorophoto wrote:
Just walk away...

maybe it is nearly as terrible

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:42 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Not nearly as terrible as I expected...

If the client likes it, and you do not hate it, who cares what we think Jim

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:09 AM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Not nearly as terrible as I expected...

I have seen it a lot for family photos.
D. Diggler wrote:
Has anyone else ever seen selective coloring combined with a frame like this? I haven't.

Jan 28, 2014 at 01:54 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.