FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · The right client...

morby
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The right client...

Jumping off of the recent discussion, what is the "right" or "perfect" client for you? Is it based on style, personality, budget, venue, a mix of things? Are you just starting out and the couple that says, "yes" is the perfect client? Will you take anyone that comes your way as long as they can pay your rates?

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:26 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The right client...

As long as they pay my rates and accept my conditions & style prior to the booking payment I am ok, just very very few times I have said NO when they accepted those, I am a full-timer but if I went back to my biology teaching job ( that was so long ago that I am not sure I still have any biology knowledge to share) I would probably allow myself the luxury of saying NO because I dont "like" the bride, groom or whatever eventhough they accepted everything.

Sure I say No when either they want cut downs on the price getting the same final product or they demand something totally different to my style or to what I can give which sometimes happens as my studio is located in the best location (no just my opinion) in town so couples just pop in without having seen my work, albums ... And well they are meant for a another photographers.

I love doing weddings, I am a laid-back guy and I ussually if not ever accept everybody personalities who cares, I trust me, my skills (getting better by the sec.), my equipment and my contract.

Ok, lets see if this analogy works: would a restaurant not accept a client willing to pay, dressing correctly, not smelling like shit etc,etc based on the personality of the costumer and the problems they my bring

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:53 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The right client...

i didnt think like this long ago and that was my mistake, believe me !!!

Jan 26, 2014 at 12:00 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The right client...

There might be a difference in who is "right" by virtue of who we target and try to attract and who we accept for bookings. My target is specific down to religion, social circle, financial demographic, venue and specific radius of event. I target with ruthless specificity. I'll accept anyone who pays my rates.

- trr

Jan 26, 2014 at 12:16 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The right client...

For me it's more important to book 40 weddings than it is to book 40 perfect weddings. I have certain goals I want to meet and because of that I can't be too selective. Most couples that reach out to me usually like my style, so that isn't an issue. For me the "right client" is the one that wants to book me.

However, in months like May, June, September and October I tend to be more selective, and desire to book the couples with larger budgets if I'm able to. For example, I booked October 4th a while back, and since then I've received 7 inquiries for that date. If a couple shows interest in an October date, but right off the bat they are talking about a "tight budget", I'll try and steer away from booking that wedding, knowing that something better will come along.

For December of 2014 I only have 1 wedding booked. If a December couple comes my way, and just wants a shoot and burn, I'll happily take that knowing that December weddings are harder to book.

Jan 26, 2014 at 01:30 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The right client...

For us it's only important to find enough people that like our work and hire us.

From there our preferences and decisions are just a result of supply and demand based on how well we did at the first thing.

Jan 26, 2014 at 01:36 PM
bryanlindsey
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The right client...

Willing to sign and pay the deposit, and not a projected nightmare to work with. Out of hundreds of consultations I've only ever disqualified two.

Jan 26, 2014 at 09:23 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The right client...

Working with the right clients is particularly important IMO.
We spent a great deal of time setting up our brand and the way we do things to tailor to a very specific type of person that we want to shoot. It is also the reason why we relocated from Ohio to Colorado.
Not everyone we book is "perfect" but 99% of people who book understand and value the way we like to do things so even if the photographer/client mojo is not totally amazing it all works out in the end.

Jan 27, 2014 at 10:52 AM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The right client...

I met with a prospective client Saturday morning. In my mind they are a perfect match for me. They really want the photography to be a big part of their budget. They want a quality product and they trust me to do whats best for them.

Jan 27, 2014 at 11:14 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The right client...

morby wrote:
Jumping off of the recent discussion, what is the "right" or "perfect" client for you? Is it based on style, personality, budget, venue, a mix of things? Are you just starting out and the couple that says, "yes" is the perfect client? Will you take anyone that comes your way as long as they can pay your rates?

Their style: very rarely even comes to mind. Personality: not really, work for all different types. Budget: Not really, work for all different types. Venue: not really work for all different types*.

*I do sometimes whine about a venue if it's just somewhere I find particularly aesthetically unpleasing (this has happened like a couple of times). I whine because it vents and displaces some of that discomfort, but in reality, I know it doesn't have a significant impact on me doing the best job for them.

The "right" client for me is anyone that comes to me and is interested in using my services. Unless they physically throw a brick in my face I know I can get the best out of each unique set of circumstances. By the time they've come to contact me, they've already been filtered through of course, so it's not like they're looking for an elephant and are surprised when they contact a lawnmower .

The "perfect" clients, well, I guess those are the ones that I get on very well with and the ones that have a real appreciation of what I do - the ones that see what I see.

I haven't worked out how to be as specific as someone like Todd but I try to piece together what I can and gain a greater understanding to the best of my ability.

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:24 PM
TheGE
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The right client...

morby wrote:
what is the "right" or "perfect" client for you?

People who agree with me.

Will you take anyone that comes your way as long as they can pay your rates?

Nope.
They have to be willing and able to to follow directions.
They have to be respectful of me.
They can't be the type who want to dictate how I should work.
They can't be whiny about money.
And they have to pay on time.

Jan 27, 2014 at 09:57 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.