New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Stone Bridge

pike40
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Stone Bridge

I shot this in early March, poor light and not much color yet. I used a Hitech filter hand held to smooth the falls. I have always liked this photo but not the rendering, I have kind of accepted the sepia look but it just does not really do it for me. I have tried several different versions of PP, non really hit me as the one. Thought I would throw this up here and get some thoughts on the best way to approach the color and yellow cast.

Thanks.

Mike

PS this is pretty much straight out of the camera.

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:15 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Stone Bridge

Mostly it has a magenta cast (i.e. light on green) ... S&P to taste @ how much correction you prefer. Threw some USM at it in dribs & drabs to try and offset the low contrast lighting, hopefully without changing the vibe of the day too much.

Edited on Jan 26, 2014 at 12:43 PM · View previous versions

Jan 26, 2014 at 12:22 PM
pike40
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Stone Bridge

RustyBug wrote:
Mostly it has a magenta cast (i.e. light on green) ... S&P to taste @ how much correction you prefer. Threw some USM at it in dribs & drabs to try and offset the low contrast lighting, hopefully without changing the vibe of the day too much.

I like where you are headed with this. Your version is closer to colors as I remember but brighter than I remember. Also I remember the greens showing well. Thanks for the ideas....

Mike

Jan 26, 2014 at 12:38 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Stone Bridge

+1 @ unsure how bright to take it for your taste/memory ... I'm sure you can dial that in. Just glad you get the gist @ cast.

Jan 26, 2014 at 12:41 PM
pike40
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Stone Bridge

RustyBug wrote:
+1 @ unsure how bright to take it for your taste/memory ... I'm sure you can dial that in. Just glad you get the gist @ cast.

I do get the gist on the cast, I will play with it a bit now. Thanks for taking the time.

Jan 26, 2014 at 01:00 PM
pike40
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Stone Bridge

RustyBug wrote:

Here is what I came up with from scratch following your lead on the magenta cast correction. What do you think.

Hold that thought, looks a little different on the post. Let me play with it a bit more.

Jan 26, 2014 at 01:15 PM
pike40
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Stone Bridge

pike40 wrote:
Here is what I came up with from scratch following your lead on the magenta cast correction. What do you think.

Hold that thought, looks a little different on the post. Let me play with it a bit more.

Let's try this one. Too much saturation?

Jan 26, 2014 at 01:18 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Stone Bridge

Of course it all depends upon what you want from it. In most such shots, the subject is maybe 5-10% of the image, the composition 5-10% and the rest is the light - 80-90%. That's why poor light is a scene killer.

In post processing you can improve an image and made it closer to what you saw in your mind's eye or to what you feel it *ought* to be. It can take quite a few changes if what ought to be is very different from what the camera was programmed to record.

For an image with difficult color you don't like, I'd start in PS by adding a curves layer and using one of the droppers to fish for a good correction spot. In this case the gray dropper picking places on the stone wal would be a reasonable choice. After you've improved the color with the curves layer, you can apply other methods to try to alter consequences of the very flat light:

First a curves layer to fix color.

Jan 26, 2014 at 02:25 PM
pike40
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Stone Bridge

AuntiPode wrote:
Of course it all depends upon what you want from it. In most such shots, the subject is maybe 5-10% of the image, the composition 5-10% and the rest is the light - 80-90%. That's why poor light is a scene killer.

In post processing you can improve an image and made it closer to what you saw in your mind's eye or to what you feel it *ought* to be. It can take quite a few changes if what ought to be is very different from what the camera was programmed to record.

For an image with difficult color you don't
...Show more

Great bit of teaching here AuntiPode, appreciate it. I just don't use PS as much as I should and this is a great example of why I should. Do most of the heavy lifting in LR.

Mike

Jan 26, 2014 at 04:45 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Stone Bridge

I suspect LR is the way to go for a photographer with a large volume of images, such as a working pro. However, for polishing a small number of images to wring out the last measure of photo goodness for printing or to change the effective lighting after the fact, or to express a very individual image perception, PS is the way to go.

Jan 26, 2014 at 05:32 PM
jemark
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Stone Bridge

Have you tried in PS, duplicate the layer, then Blur/Average, then curves layer, select the grey dropper select the blurred 'grey' color. then delete the second layer, for correcting color cast to grey neutral?

Jan 26, 2014 at 05:35 PM
pike40
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Stone Bridge

Thanks to you both for commenting

Mike

Jan 26, 2014 at 05:55 PM
jemark
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Stone Bridge

I learned this somewhere else and it's a good place to start. Finding the neutral natural grey tone by:
In PS, duplicate the image layer, then use filter/blur/average. You'll get a blank greyish color which is off cast color.
Add adjustment layer, curves works, pick the grey eye dropper, select the color cast second layer. Click on it and it will adjust for 'grey'. Then delete, or unview the second layer and see what change was made.

http://www.artwithinnature.com/p725576351/e35d9132a

Jan 26, 2014 at 06:03 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Stone Bridge

Interesting interpretations! I have just used LR 5.3 WB auto, Sat increased +10, and exported into CS6 Lab space. Increase Contrast and Sat with a and b channels. I really like using Lab space as it gives life to images, without changing the color profiles too much

Jan 27, 2014 at 08:15 PM
pike40
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Stone Bridge

charles.K wrote:
Interesting interpretations! I have just used LR 5.3 WB auto, Sat increased +10, and exported into CS6 Lab space. Increase Contrast and Sat with a and b channels. I really like using Lab space as it gives life to images, without changing the color profiles too much

I like it, thanks for taking the time to post.

Mike

Jan 27, 2014 at 08:50 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.