New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Street photography - woman and her dog

cadman342001
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Street photography - woman and her dog

We went up to an old hippy village, much more touristy now but still has an old feel market hidden away.

This was my first attempt at street pics, I was very intimidated and felt that everytime I raised the camera to my eye that people immediately noticed me. Of course the 180 isn't a small lens and I forgot to take the grip off.

Perhaps it would be easier to go shorter next time and just ask people for pics rather than grab candids? What are your thoughts on the pros and cons ? I should clarify that the woman knew I was taking her picture but I told her she didn't need to pose as such or look into the lens.

(Cross posted on the MF nikon thread. Shooting with D800E, 180mm AiS wide open.)

Pick your favourite

1. Would you crop this from the top some ?

_DSC5702 by cadman342001, on Flickr

2. Here is her dog Tara, a 14 year old Tenterfield Terrier

_DSC5701 by cadman342001, on Flickr

3. Both together

_DSC5710 by cadman342001, on Flickr

_DSC5708 by cadman342001, on Flickr

_DSC5709 by cadman342001, on Flickr

Andy

Jan 26, 2014 at 02:46 AM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Street photography - woman and her dog

A pretty nice set Andy, shows the affection held for each other well!
Douglas

Jan 26, 2014 at 07:09 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Street photography - woman and her dog

#3 is my favourite, showing the interaction and affection. I'd like to see a touch more DOF so you get both in focus

Jan 27, 2014 at 05:37 AM
YonathanZ
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Street photography - woman and her dog

#5 is amazing. Makes me wanna go and hug our 4-legged companion.

Jan 27, 2014 at 06:10 AM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Street photography - woman and her dog

Nothing about these photos represent the street. Just looks like candid photos/moments of a stranger and her dog from afar. Not that there is anything wrong with that if that's your intended goal.

I think in this case it could have been beneficial to approach her and ask to take a few non candid portraits as well. My extremely basic advice for street photography is show some of the enviroment meaning get closer and go wider. If you're afraid...well get over it. If you want to seem less noticable, use a smaller camera. I'll shoot street with my P&S or my 5D3 and get in peoples business all day if I had the time. The more confident and less conspicuious I look, the less looks I get. Outside of Hong Kong and once in Hawaii (night flash) I never had anyone say anything to me. At least in #5 you caught a pretty loving moment.

Jan 27, 2014 at 11:46 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.