New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · FX standard zoom lens dilema

thegame81
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · FX standard zoom lens dilema

I shoot a D800 and don't do it for a living. Subjects of my primary interests are at my tele end.

But I also do occasional landscape/cityscape/astro work. Also shoot pictures of family, kid and travel. I currently have 17-35 2.8 & Tamron 28-75 2.8 non-BIM for these purposes (also have 50 & 85 primes). Just put the 17-35 on the chopping block to free up some money as I didn't use it enough to justify keeping it. Replaced it with a chipped Samyang 14 2.8 lens.

I don't mind changing lenses in the field, most of my lenses are primes. But I have the zoom for when I need the convenience of not worrying about switching lenses, like when on a family outing or travelling. Now my zoom starts out at 28mm, I am very tempted to replace it with a used 24-85 VR. That will get me added flexibility in the focal length. I am quite happy with the cost/quality ratio of the Tamron and probably will miss the wide aperture. All the online reading suggests these 2 lenses are similar in terms of image quality. I am not looking to spend much (anything at all if possible) in the process.

What would you do, given the situation?

Thank you for reading and the inputs!

Jan 25, 2014 at 11:54 PM
480sparky
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · FX standard zoom lens dilema

Hmm. D800 is what,... 36mp? Shoot with a wide enough prime and zoom in post.

Jan 26, 2014 at 12:00 AM
subidiom
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · FX standard zoom lens dilema

Not familiar at all with the Tamron. The 24-85 is a nice, inexpensive lens, light weight and the VR works very well. That said, it is a little out-classed by the D800 until stopped down to f/8-11. OK for snapshots or vacation pics, but no so great for critical work. It is cheap and light, so you have that. Actually like it much better on my 16MP Df. The D800 gets primes attached most of the time, or a pro zoom like the 70-200.

Jan 26, 2014 at 12:03 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · FX standard zoom lens dilema

I am interested in the new Sigma 24-105mm f4 OS full frame lens. I will wait for lens reviews before trying a copy but it may have less of a IQ problem at the wide end than the Nikon 24-120mm VR zoom.

The Canon 24-105mm f4 IS lens is one of Canon's best and is helped in part by a somewhat conservative 4:1 zoom ratio. It was one of only two Canon WA zooms I like to use, with the other being the 17-40mm f4 IS.

Jan 29, 2014 at 02:11 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · FX standard zoom lens dilema

I agree with waiting for the Sigma 24-105mm. Otherwise, get the Nikon 24-120mm f4 VR. Why put big bucks into a camera and then go way cheap on the lens--the important thing? You might be better off dumping the D800 and replacing with D610, put the difference on a good lens.

Kent in SD

Jan 29, 2014 at 09:44 AM
thegame81
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · FX standard zoom lens dilema

480sparky wrote:
Hmm. D800 is what,... 36mp? Shoot with a wide enough prime and zoom in post.

I like that thought process

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:01 AM
RRRoger
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · FX standard zoom lens dilema

I've heard that the 24-120 is a great lens,
but I prefer the zoom range of the 28-300 so much that I have two of them.
They are pretty much dedicated to my cameras
unless I get in an extreme low light situation
then I will bring out one of the "Holy Trinity".

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:02 AM
thegame81
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · FX standard zoom lens dilema

subidiom wrote:
Not familiar at all with the Tamron. The 24-85 is a nice, inexpensive lens, light weight and the VR works very well. That said, it is a little out-classed by the D800 until stopped down to f/8-11. OK for snapshots or vacation pics, but no so great for critical work. It is cheap and light, so you have that.

Sanpshots and vacations are mostly the intended usage. But I hear you on stopping way down to get good results. Same is true for the tamron I have too. I use it like a f4 lens for decent quality.

elkhornsun wrote:
I am interested in the new Sigma 24-105mm f4 OS full frame lens. I will wait for lens reviews before trying a copy but it may have less of a IQ problem at the wide end than the Nikon 24-120mm VR zoom.

Two23 wrote:
I agree with waiting for the Sigma 24-105mm. Otherwise, get the Nikon 24-120mm f4 VR. Why put big bucks into a camera and then go way cheap on the lens--the important thing? You might be better off dumping the D800 and replacing with D610, put the difference on a good lens.

Kent in SD

Was just checking my LR library and less than 3% of my images are shot with the midrange zoom. While I understand that I can't cheap out on lenses without compromising on quality, the intended application does not warrant an expensive lens in my case. I am invested in a bunch of primes and those live on the body most of the time. I love my D800. I moved from Canon not so long ago, just because they didn't have a similar option. So no question of getting rid of it. I am going to be using this for a long time to come

Sigma 24-105 is an interesting option. It will all come down to how they price it. Looks like it'll be more expensive than the Canon 24-105 at launch!

Now I have not used either the 24-85 nor 24-120. But from what I've read from the mixed reviews and user comparisons, they both are very close in performance apart from the obvious little difference in the FL and aperture.
I am also interested to hear from folks who have used both the tamron 28-75 and 24-85 VR on how they compare.

RRRoger wrote:
I've heard that the 24-120 is a great lens,
but I prefer the zoom range of the 28-300 so much that I have two of them.

That is a good suggestion. But I am looking to change to something that starts at 24 in the wide end and reasonably compact.

Thank you all for taking your time to respond! I really appreciate your inputs.

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:32 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · FX standard zoom lens dilema

one lens 2 days
D4 and 24-120 f4
Comic Con NYC 2012
http://sjms.smugmug.com/Journalism/Surviving-Comic-Con-NYC/

1 lens 6 days
D7000 and 17-70 f2.8-4 (yes it is a DX kit but essential an equivalent focal range (~26-105))
http://sjms.smugmug.com/Trips/A-Little-Trip-To-California/

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:49 AM
RRRoger
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · FX standard zoom lens dilema

Quote I am looking to change to something that starts at 24 in the wide end and reasonably compact.

I got the 24-85 as a kit lens.
Although light, compact and a "very good" lens
I was not over impressed, kept my 28-300, and sold it with the D600.
28mm is actually pretty wide on the D800 and I use the 300mm too.
But then I have the superb 14-24 when I need wider.

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:49 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.