New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2014 · Need help with glove choices

unclemikey
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need help with glove choices

It's cold in Richmond VA as it is all over the country so I know some of you wildlife and winter bird shooters can help. I was out at a local park today trying out my new Nikon 80-400G. After a bit of time I realized I couldn't feel my fingers and had to run back to the car to warm up. I know there are gloves out there that some of you must used in this kind of weather so please some advice. What to get and where to get them.

Jan 25, 2014 at 02:16 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need help with glove choices

I have only general advice, as I got these too long ago to remember where (!), but I suggest you look for silk glove "liners" and wear them inside ordinary gloves of whatever type you like. Remove the outer gloves or mittens to operate the camera controls with the silk gloves, and replace the main gloves when working with a tripod, moving, etc.

Some may recommend gloves with finger tips that open. My hands get cold so rapidly that I avoid exposing them to the air (and the cold camera body) even in that fashion. The lightweight gloves under heavy gloves work for me.

Jan 25, 2014 at 02:25 PM
unclemikey
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need help with glove choices

Thanks. Silk gloves are not hard to find and the heavy gloves I have actually have a neck strap to keep them handy.

Anyone else?

Jan 25, 2014 at 02:45 PM
Betacamman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need help with glove choices

Photon wrote:
I suggest you look for silk glove "liners" and wear them inside ordinary gloves of whatever type you like.

I just heard about these yesterday and may look into it myself. I, too, can't do the fingerless glove.

I've also considered a thin diver-type neoprene glove (1 to 1.5mm,) but the reviews for non-water use have been mixed.

Jan 25, 2014 at 02:46 PM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need help with glove choices

unclemikey wrote:
Thanks. Silk gloves are not hard to find and the heavy gloves I have actually have a neck strap to keep them handy.

Anyone else?

Yep...I use a pair of gloves that are basically mittens but you can pull the mitten back over your fingers and exposes about ½ of your fingers so you can use camera controls. Works great, made by reebok but I don't know where I got them.

I use to have a pair of gloves (non-mitten style) and each finger tip of the glove could be pulled back, exposing just the finger tip. I lost them and preferred these to the mittens as you can hold your gear easier with gloves than mittens.

....hope this all makes sense as you may be thinking "What....??"

Just checked B&H and they have "free hands" for $20 and are kinda similar to the gloves I lost.

Jan 25, 2014 at 03:15 PM
unclemikey
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need help with glove choices

Betacamman wrote:
I just heard about these yesterday and may look into it myself. I, too, can't do the fingerless glove.

I've also considered a thin diver-type neoprene glove (1 to 1.5mm,) but the reviews for non-water use have been mixed.

I used to do a lot of diving and considering that type of glove over silk lined winter gloves I would not opt for the divers gloves.

I think you'll find they have a sewn ridge at finger top that might get in your way.

Jan 25, 2014 at 04:09 PM
unclemikey
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need help with glove choices

docsmiles17 wrote:
Yep...I use a pair of gloves that are basically mittens but you can pull the mitten back over your fingers and exposes about ½ of your fingers so you can use camera controls. Works great, made by reebok but I don't know where I got them.

I use to have a pair of gloves (non-mitten style) and each finger tip of the glove could be pulled back, exposing just the finger tip. I lost them and preferred these to the mittens as you can hold your gear easier with gloves than mittens.

....hope this all makes sense as you may be thinking
...Show more

I do understand what you are saying. I have a pair like that for hunting and hate them. I'll look at what B&H had and see if they make sense. Otherwise I'm going the silk liner style.

Thanks for the advice folks.

Jan 25, 2014 at 04:12 PM
Dave Bachrach
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need help with glove choices

I wear a Head brand running gloves they work down to about +15 for me. Here's a link, http://www.amazon.com/HEAD-Digital-Running-Sensatec-compatible/dp/B008XRV8LM

I also have over-sized mittens I can put my gloved hand into. Which works anything below zero, but that might be overkill for your area. You can also stick the 'hot hands' warming packets inside your gloves.

Jan 25, 2014 at 04:38 PM
unclemikey
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need help with glove choices

Dave Bachrach wrote:
I wear a Head brand running gloves they work down to about +15 for me. Here's a link, http://www.amazon.com/HEAD-Digital-Running-Sensatec-compatible/dp/B008XRV8LM

I also have over-sized mittens I can put my gloved hand into. Which works anything below zero, but that might be overkill for your area. You can also stick the 'hot hands' warming packets inside your gloves.

Dave, thanks for the link and the hot hands are a good idea as well.

Jan 25, 2014 at 06:43 PM
rdcny
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need help with glove choices

These are OK - good in wind...comfortable to about 20-25F:

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search_catalog_command.cmd?fromProductSearch=true&item1=IK%20-%20957538

Jan 25, 2014 at 07:47 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need help with glove choices

rdcny has about the best option here. Cabelas has shops on Charleston and Wheeling WV which may give you a better option to try fitting (do not get them snug fitting) if they are within a reasonable drive. in addition I would still get a set of liners to put on under them and not leave bare fingertips out but still have dexterity. I prefer synthetic over silk for longevity and quick to dry capability. haven't done silk in 30 years.

Jan 26, 2014 at 08:38 AM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Need help with glove choices

You can also look at Etre Touchy Gloves and Freehands. I own a pair of both. I prefer the Freehands.

Jan 26, 2014 at 09:28 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Need help with glove choices

open knit or non wind proof gloves are not your best option

Jan 26, 2014 at 09:51 AM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Need help with glove choices

I have a pair of inexpensive cloth gloves that I snipped the tip of the index finger and thumb off on my shooting hand. They wouldn't work well for real cold extended shooting but work well for me and were very inexpensive. They are the type made for general house chores found at hardware stores. I've tried the mitten type that has the flip over front, but didn't care for those. I have a pair with rubber fingers and palm for grip, but they actually feel colder than no gloves probably due to the rubber transferring the cold to my skin.

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:03 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Need help with glove choices

and the perspiration not being able to evaporate off too.

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:05 AM
unclemikey
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Need help with glove choices

I'd like to thank all of you for your recommendations. I've looked at every link but I'm thinking for my ageing arthritis in my right hand, I'll need to have a liner inside a glove. I have a pair of larger then I need Head Ski gloves at home that I think would facilitate a liner inside. I'm going over to REI this afternoon. One of the climbers there understood my situation and he thinks he can resolve it but doesn't come to work until after noon. I'll talk to him and it is ok for me to bring in my camera to see if all this works.

Thanks again to all of you for all you help. FM'ers are the best.

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:30 AM
KPV-1Ds
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Need help with glove choices

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/mens-tactical-summer-blackout-glove/pid1227555

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/mens-tactical-winter-blackout-glove/pid1227556

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:38 AM
martines34
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Need help with glove choices

Try a Google search on:

Swany Men's Arctic Toaster Convertible Mittens

They are a glove in a mitten with a zipper to allow you to use your index finger to trip the camera trigger. They are very warm. Because they have the zipper you can increase the warmth by inserting a chemical heater pack if you need additional warmth.

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:47 AM
GravelGrinder

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Need help with glove choices

For me, the glove I used is dependent on the shooting I’m doing.

My primary gloves are North Face Windwall fleece gloves. For me they are good for temperatures down into the teens. They are not really that heavy, but if there is a lot of waiting for stuff to happen, these work well for me.

My beef with those, or just about any glove, is lack of feel on the focus button, so often I end up using a wool fingerless glove on the right hand, and a pocket warmer in jacket pocket. If I’m shooting something where I’m active, like a football game, it’s a combo I’ve used into single digits.

The down side of the fingerless glove pocket warmer combo is that if something unexpected happens my hand might be in my pocket and not on the camera.

When it gets brutally cold, I actually use an old pair of Chouinard ice climbing gloves that are good down to -25 or something like that.

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:08 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Need help with glove choices

It's been a bit cold in South Dakota this winter. Too cold to take my gloves off to operate a camera. But, what gloves will let me push the tiny little buttons on my camera? The answer is the liner gloves from Under Armor. I can take my heavy gloves off and just use the liners to keep my hands warm for several minutes when it's twenty below zero. The Under Armor gloves are nice in that they have the "grippy" dots on the palm and fingers. I like them. These are the best for camera use that I've ever tried:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Under-Armour174-Tactical-ColdGearreg-Liner-Gloves/1750493.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dliner%2Bgloves%2Bmens%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26x%3D15%26y%3D9&Ntt=liner+gloves+mens&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

These are new and I haven't tried them, but they look really good The OmniHeat deal are shiney mylar dots that reflect heat back to your skin. I have the underwear and it actually works:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Columbiareg-Omni-Heatreg-Touch-Glove-Liners/1602315.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dliner%2Bgloves%2Bmens%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26x%3D15%26y%3D9&Ntt=liner+gloves+mens&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Since winter is serious here in the Dakotas, we pay close attention to our cold weather gear.

Kent in SD

Jan 26, 2014 at 08:18 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.