Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Friends let friends use CPS discount

stanj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Friends let friends use CPS discount

codyconway wrote:
*sigh* quick to make assumptions on here like any other Internet forum when information is requested.

Based on your other posts in this thread, you seem to be pretty much set on what the correct answer is, anyway. Why do you bother asking others, then? To validate your unethical behavior?

Jan 25, 2014 at 08:36 PM
codyconway
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Friends let friends use CPS discount

The question was simply can you or have you. Not "since it's wrong would you get caught". There was no initial thought that it was wrong after reading the general rules regarding the service. As someone pointed out you are starting it is your equipment when you register it. Others are just getting silly and basically throwing out that you can't register used equipment since you are not the original purchaser (by implying a few different angles obviously). The moral gray area was not considered until people through it under the bus as if the purpose of this was to defraud canon. If THAT was the purpose the thread would never have been started since it's asking is it "wrong" to do this in Essence.

As for this scenario. The party in questioned registered their own equipment and signed up for a gold account. No fraud was meant. No fraud was committed.

acoll123 wrote:
If you're asking us whether or not you think you could get away with fraud, the answer is who knows. Some here are pointing out the ethical component which your probably missed since you asked the question in the first place.

Jan 25, 2014 at 08:48 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Friends let friends use CPS discount

codyconway wrote:
Canon has no way to track Serial numbers unless the purchaser itself registers it . . . Keep in mind that there is a huge used market and equipment changes hands all the time.

Only partially correct. They can (and do) only track the original purchaser - my company has never registered a warranty, buys thousands of lenses from multiple retailers - once Canon bothered to look it up, they were correct within about 15% as to how many lenses had been delivered to our address from retailers. Would they bother with an extra lens or two from a CPS member? I doubt it.

But you are correct, they have no way to tell if you or your friend bought it used.

Jan 25, 2014 at 09:47 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Friends let friends use CPS discount

codyconway wrote:
*sigh* quick to make assumptions on here like any other Internet forum when information is requested.

The "information you requested was, "...is there any implications I'm missing to this scenario?" The rest of your post - aside from asking if anyone else wanted to confess to fraud in this forum - was simply describing the basis for this question.

Almost all of the responses have been directly relevant to this question about "implications."

If those implications (ethical and legal) do not concern you, that is your business, and there is no reason to get upset with people who answered the question you asked - just because the answer they provided was perhaps not the one you were hoping to hear. Or, if you were only interested in answers that confirmed your hope that lots of people do commit fraud and that some get away with it, you might have just asked it that way or not bothered. ;-)

Dan

Jan 25, 2014 at 10:08 PM
codyconway
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Friends let friends use CPS discount

My mistake for the way it was phrased then. But to the point it was regarding whether or not canon frowned at this and if it was a practice that does happen. While I'm sure it does happen, I was more considering implications as being is it wrong in doing so.

All is good, the situation was fixed and now the lens should be as well.

Jan 26, 2014 at 12:53 AM
mogud
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Friends let friends use CPS discount

codyconway wrote:
My mistake for the way it was phrased then. But to the point it was regarding whether or not canon frowned at this and if it was a practice that does happen. While I'm sure it does happen, I was more considering implications as being is it wrong in doing so.

All is good, the situation was fixed and now the lens should be as well.

This is my last post on this subject as I feel, as do others, that our opinions and recommendations are falling on deaf ears. Notwithstanding, speak for yourself regarding your ascertion that this practice does happen because the responses received could conclude that indeed, it does not.

Much to your dismay, Canon does frown on this practice as evedenced by the wording of the General Provisions and the accompanying Terms and Conditions. Speaking to the point and without predjudice, there seems to be rules for some and then there are rules for others. What category do you think you fall into?

Glad the lens is fixed.

Edited on Jan 26, 2014 at 01:31 AM · View previous versions

Jan 26, 2014 at 01:17 AM
codyconway
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Friends let friends use CPS discount

Again it was brought to the board to avoid any risk or implications to the parties involved. And it is decided that it is written around in the tos. Not argued that it is not. Not falling on deaf ears.

Jan 26, 2014 at 01:22 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Friends let friends use CPS discount

To add to the mix - what if Cody's 'plan' was the only way to get something serviced by Canon?

Oh, that's simple, go to an independent.

What if those 'independents' scare the hell out of you as they do here in Thailand - do you really want that nose-picking, untrained moon unit poking his flimsy screwdrivers around in your lenses?

My point is Canon CPS have told me I cannot register lenses bought outside the country I am registering in.

I want to register in NZ - sorry that B&H bought 5D doesn't 'qualify'.

I want to register in Thailand - sorry that Japanese bought 16-35 doesn't 'qualify'.

So what happened to the concept of travel?

Jan 26, 2014 at 01:30 AM
codyconway
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Friends let friends use CPS discount

Just to note. I am a cps platinum member... But he is not far from the truth. Not everyone can afford the high price of equipment breaking, so alternatives have to be sought. In this case I was able to talk them into a gold account to serve them based on the discount they will get and the ability to eBay the strap to help cover the cost more. I feel I must state yet again, I was checking here to ensure the proper thing was done.

Jan 26, 2014 at 01:37 AM
rongoe
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Friends let friends use CPS discount

if second-hand purchases can be sent in, I suppose the owner could sell the item to his friend who sends it to canon and then sells it back. same ethical issues, but perhaps illustrates the difficulty of the legal prosecution.

Jan 26, 2014 at 01:44 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Friends let friends use CPS discount

codyconway wrote:
Just to note. I am a cps platinum member... But he is not far from the truth. Not everyone can afford the high price of equipment breaking, so alternatives have to be sought.

Legal ones, perhaps? ;-)

Jan 26, 2014 at 01:55 AM
Andrew J
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Friends let friends use CPS discount

I pre-paid for a year of 30% off repairs and a month later they changed it to 20% off, and that's ethical?

Jan 26, 2014 at 02:01 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Friends let friends use CPS discount

codyconway wrote:
Others are just getting silly and basically throwing out that you can't register used equipment since you are not the original purchaser (by implying a few different angles obviously).

I don't see where anyone on this thread said that. Perhaps you can quote it?

CPS requires that you own specific Canon gear. Nowhere does it say it can't be used Canon gear.

Jan 26, 2014 at 03:16 AM
campy
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Friends let friends use CPS discount

codyconway wrote:
Side step - but they took off the income from photography requirement for cps membership.

When did that happen? Maybe I will check into it now.

Jan 26, 2014 at 07:13 AM
campy
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Friends let friends use CPS discount

This is a little off topic but it does involve Canon and ethics. My company does warranty work for Canon and if we do a warranty repair and a part is needed we have to purchase the part and then we get reimbursed for the part but not for the shipping. Sometimes the shipping is more than the part. Do you think they care about ethics? As they say in the Godfather movie, "it's business not personal"

Jan 26, 2014 at 07:20 AM
campy
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Friends let friends use CPS discount

codyconway wrote:
Side step - but they took off the income from photography requirement for cps membership.

I just saw this.

"Membership is available only to those individuals (self-employed or employed by a professional imaging business), who play a direct role in the creation of moving or still images for third parties on a full-time basis and are legal residents of the 50 United States or the District of Columbia."
Now since I am an Authorized service center for the printers and copiers does that qualify under "creations of moving or still images"?

Jan 26, 2014 at 07:39 AM
jj_glos
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Friends let friends use CPS discount

I'm not sure printing qualifies as creation of the still image, as that has happened before it gets to you?

Jan 26, 2014 at 08:41 AM
jj_glos
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Friends let friends use CPS discount

anthonygh wrote:
In the UK one just needs to own enough qualifying kit to be a member.....and as Canon almost certainly makes a profit from every service it offers deep down it probably doesn't care who owns the kit coming in for repair...it's all income to them.

As for ethics...I live in the UK and I know Canon extracts every last penny it can from UK customers..... Canon gives discounts and rebates to you in the States that we can only dream of over here.

I haven't had to use them for much, but Canon fixed my 1Ds2 for half of what Fixation quoted me.

Jan 26, 2014 at 08:44 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Friends let friends use CPS discount

jj_glos wrote:
I'm not sure printing qualifies as creation of the still image, as that has happened before it gets to you?

Back in the day a number of photographers worked in collaboration with darkroom printers due the the skill and interpretation those printers brought to the image making process.

I used to visit a premier London gallery years ago and the prints for sale would regularly credit both the photographer and the printer....the right printer often added value to the print.

However I fully accept someone printing out a digital file is more likely to be 'a technician' than part of the creative team....but not always!!

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:17 AM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Friends let friends use CPS discount

How about this scenario....can Canadian CPS members use their discount to buy a bunch of 600II lenses and then sell them off to people in the US. Considering the discount isn't even in writing anywhere or mentioned in the benefits of the program. Just wondering...........

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:23 AM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password