Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda, JimFox
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

dusk in rocky mountain national park, 11k feet up

iammatt

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · dusk in rocky mountain national park, 11k feet up

i will miss my d600 and 14-24, but at the same time, i really won't - too heavy for this stuff

iammatt 2014

NIKON D600    14.0-24.0 mm f/2.8 lens    14mm    f/8.0    1/80s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 25, 2014 at 03:55 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · dusk in rocky mountain national park, 11k feet up

Too heavy for what stuff?

Jan 25, 2014 at 04:17 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · dusk in rocky mountain national park, 11k feet up

what does your narrative have to do with this image or this forum?

Jan 25, 2014 at 04:19 PM
jord217
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · dusk in rocky mountain national park, 11k feet up

I'm guessing he's switching to a lighter system since hiking 11K feet up can be tough on some people. Lighter load = easier on the lungs.

I like the photo. Sky is a bit bright but the shot as a whole still works for me. Nice work.

Jan 25, 2014 at 04:39 PM
Todd
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · dusk in rocky mountain national park, 11k feet up

I have a close friend that complains about equipment being too heavy. I think that it's not heavy at all and I don't know why You think think these lenses are heavy. Do you not use a camera strap on the camera, or do you not mount the camera to the tripod and lean across your shoulder.?

T

Jan 25, 2014 at 05:21 PM
homersapien
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · dusk in rocky mountain national park, 11k feet up

Whoa...such hostility and condescension over a simple post. Every ounce counts, especially at higher altitudes. It's nice that we're starting to see real possibilities (e.g. mirrorless) for lightweight, high performing gear.

Jan 26, 2014 at 01:04 AM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · dusk in rocky mountain national park, 11k feet up

I like the shot. The highest I have hiked was Mt. Washington which is 6,289'. I would imagine someone hiking to 11,000' would not want to carry a bunch of gear to get the same shot that they could get with a more compact system. For myself I would not want to carry a D600 and 14-24...but that's just me.

Jan 26, 2014 at 01:46 AM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · dusk in rocky mountain national park, 11k feet up

I hear ck hiked all the way up to the top of Mt. Everest with 2 D-4's, a full compliment of Nikkors and Will was right behind him sipping on his CR, cheering him on.

Of course, I don't know how true that is..............

Jan 26, 2014 at 02:12 AM
flgirl

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · dusk in rocky mountain national park, 11k feet up

Great shot.

Jan 26, 2014 at 05:14 AM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · dusk in rocky mountain national park, 11k feet up

Todd wrote:
I have a close friend that complains about equipment being too heavy. I think that it's not heavy at all and I don't know why You think think these lenses are heavy. Do you not use a camera strap on the camera, or do you not mount the camera to the tripod and lean across your shoulder.?

T

Have you climbed to those elevations with your gear? If not, then you don't understand what the OP is talking about.

Jan 26, 2014 at 01:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · dusk in rocky mountain national park, 11k feet up

Agree with chez. I've hike to those elevations without camera gear and load was heavy. That's in warmer weather too.
Anyway, its the photo. Nice.

David

Jan 26, 2014 at 02:31 PM
iammatt

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · dusk in rocky mountain national park, 11k feet up

I was also on snowshoes ;p

Fuji x system will be nice. Stay tuned. Heading back up in a week.

Jan 26, 2014 at 02:58 PM
iammatt

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · dusk in rocky mountain national park, 11k feet up

Jeffrey wrote:
what does your narrative have to do with this image or this forum?

This is a landscape forum right? Just checking.

Jan 26, 2014 at 02:59 PM
iammatt

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · dusk in rocky mountain national park, 11k feet up

Todd wrote:

T

Yea I has a tripod. I also had to carry it 11 miles round trip and 1500 vertical feet on my back while on snowshoes in sub zero weather. That's what I mean by heavy.

Jan 26, 2014 at 03:02 PM
Slabshaft
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · dusk in rocky mountain national park, 11k feet up

Still just sounds like a good time to me.

Jan 26, 2014 at 04:02 PM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · dusk in rocky mountain national park, 11k feet up

Man...what's with all the hostility in this post? Narrative? He hiked up to 11k and took the image...there's the narrative.

Jan 26, 2014 at 06:28 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · dusk in rocky mountain national park, 11k feet up

I'm not really seeing hostility. But lets try and clarify.

chez wrote:
Have you climbed to those elevations with your gear? If not, then you don't understand what the OP is talking about.

You don't take all your gear if you are a thinking person.

And I, personally, do go up to those elevations quite often. And I know several others on the board that do also. Several times each summer. It's actually not that high. Everyone goes to 11.

It depends on the starting altitude.

It IS more work at altitude, and you chug along going slower, and it isn't that pleasant for anyone, regardless of age. Although, once you acclimate it's far better. But the rewards are also often much greater than a "drive up" location. Isn't that what landscape photos are about?

The OP sounds like he's fairly young and fit, otherwise why go back for more punishment?

The OP wants a compromise, he just won't get the same level of photos, regardless of what the iPhone people think. But his trek will be easier. Although, not that much easier.

However, the Landscape board is for presentation of photos, and interesting stories (like Mark M's). Sure we hear stories on how difficult it was to get somewhere all the time, and that makes sense. But not often stories like "here's a picture and I'm getting rid of this camera!" Those, stories, I find over on the Nikon board all the time.

Maybe that's what bugged a few people, the way it sounded. The D600 + 14-24mm isn't that heavy. That's a light package, if it's all you bring. If he wants to carry another, lighter camera, more power to him.

If it offended people, then I apologize, it was more a "what?" question or comment.

Here's a few excerpts from Tom Till's book "Landscape Photography."

"Although staying fit is a good idea for a lot of reasons, being a professional landscape photographer means doing a lot of walking and carrying heavy gear. To do this on a regular basis you must be physically fit. I know of no active nature photographers who smoke, drink heavily or are badly overweight." Also "I told someone once that my real job is hiking, because getting out into the places I want to shoot requires so much walking. So I try and stay fit hiking four miles a day and lifting weights."

Jim Fox has also said it over and over here, get in better shape.

However it wasn't meant to be hostile. He could have definitely told a better story.

Jan 26, 2014 at 06:48 PM
daskibum
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · dusk in rocky mountain national park, 11k feet up

Nice shot. Know what you mean on the wanting lighter gear. Family has places just south of RMNP, I hike to the 10-14k foot range quite a bit. I shoot mostly primes and often consider going smaller and lighter. My average load is a D300, 300F4 (for wildlife encounters), 35mm, 50mm, 10-20mm, and tripod. On occasion add an 80-200 2.8. Add in water and it starts to get killer around the 6 mile mark. Mirrorless with mid range zoom and telephoto would be nice...

Jan 26, 2014 at 07:09 PM
astv99
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · dusk in rocky mountain national park, 11k feet up

Nice shot, looks like Mills Lake? That's a great location, I don't usually see shots from around there. I've been there a few times only in the summer, someday I'll have to snowshoe that in the winter like you did.

Did you take this shot recently? I haven't been able to get to RMNP since last summer and would've thought there'd be more snow.

Jan 27, 2014 at 06:40 AM
silverfox9142

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · dusk in rocky mountain national park, 11k feet up

I agree with you, astv99, it does look like Mills Lake.

If you took the pic this winter, how much devastation did you see from the rains they had last September? I think it was something like 18 inches in a week.

- Chuck

Apr 07, 2014 at 08:22 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password