Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Phase One announces 50MP CMOS medium format back

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Phase One announces 50MP CMOS medium format back

Phase One announces 50MP CMOS medium format back
Phase One proudly announces the IQ250. It's the world's first CMOS-based digital camera back. It has 50MP sensor with a crop of 1.3x measuring 44x33mm. Developed by Sony, this new CMOS sensor should improve continuous shooting and high ISO performance (100-6400).
Look for it to be included in next Hasselblad H5D-50c.

Available now, with prices starting at $34,990. http://www.phaseone.com/iq2

COPENHAGEN, January 24, 2014 -- Phase One today introduced the world’s first CMOS-based medium format digital camera back. The new 50-megapixel IQ250 brings unprecedented image capture flexibility to the IQ2 family of wireless-enabled high-end camera systems. Whether photo sessions are held in the studio or on a mountainside, the IQ250 lets photographers capture stunning imagery in available light -- virtually anywhere and any time.

With a sensor size of 44x33mm, the IQ250 offers 68 percent more image-capture real estate than any full-frame 35mm DSLR camera and the widest usable ISO range of any medium format camera system. Its phenomenal dynamic range of 14 f-stops enables photographers to capture the most demanding scenes in one shot, while retaining details in highlights and shadows.

Flexibility in Action

The IQ250 is designed for capture versatility; it has an ISO range from 100 to 6400, delivering world class image quality at any ISO speed. And its range of exposure time is extreme -- from 1/10000s to one hour. Fluid and responsive Live View is another key feature of the IQ250. Live View on the IQ250 offers great composition and focus assistance -- whether it is used directly on the digital back, connected via USB3 to Capture One on the computer, or displayed wirelessly on iPads or iPhones running Capture Pilot.

Award-winning Australian wedding photographer Dan O'Day has found the IQ250’s abundant dynamic range to be a game changer. He said, “I shoot the majority of my work on location, and I prefer to shoot only using available light. With the IQ250, I can shoot portraits of couples any time of day, under just about any conditions Mother Nature offers me, and still retain all the details. Couples rely on me to capture one of the happiest moments in their life, and they expect the outcome to be perfect. With the IQ250 I can deliver on this expectation with greater confidence, quality and detail than ever before."

"My photography work spans several genres, so flexibility is extremely important to me, said California-based wedding and portrait photographer, Justine Ungaro. “The IQ250 has been absolutely life changing in allowing me to capture gorgeously clean and crisp medium format images on all of my shoots. This new back has transformed my existing Phase One 645DF+ camera body and wonderful range of Schneider Kreuznach leaf shutter lenses into a workhorse kit which is quickly pushing my other camera gear to the background. Along with Capture One for image processing, I'm so pleased with the truly superior image quality with a dynamic range that is simply incredible.”

“We are very proud to introduce the Phase One IQ250 which carries on the tradition of Phase One high-quality medium format gear,” said Henrik O. Håkonsson, CEO & President, Phase One. “The wider ISO range in this new CMOS-based system, for example, illustrates our desire to continue pushing the envelope for our customers, to help them succeed in all of their unique imaging challenges.”

Pricing and Availability

The Phase One IQ250 system is available now and may be ordered through Phase One
photography partners worldwide: www.phaseone.com/partners For a complete list of all the Phase
One IQ250 digital back features, including supported camera bodies, please see http://www.phaseone.com/iq2

Prices start at 24990 EUR / 34990 USD. The Phase One IQ250 comes with Capture One software
for optimal raw image processing and image editing. Attractive camera system upgrade offers are
available for all existing Phase One photographers. For a demo of this product, please sign up
here: http://www.phaseone.com/demo

Jan 25, 2014 at 06:27 AM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Phase One announces 50MP CMOS medium format back

come on lucky lotto numbers! wish it were squared(60X60) though, lol!

Jan 25, 2014 at 06:45 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Phase One announces 50MP CMOS medium format back

Lo! Another CMOS fifty.

Jan 25, 2014 at 07:02 AM
Mikael Risedal
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Phase One announces 50MP CMOS medium format back

another triumph for Sony sensor tech

Jan 25, 2014 at 12:33 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Phase One announces 50MP CMOS medium format back

$34,990? Tell'im 'e's dreamin'
http://youtu.be/dik_wnOE4dk

Jan 25, 2014 at 12:58 PM
andyjh
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Phase One announces 50MP CMOS medium format back

Don't rush out and buy this thing right away. Let 'em sit on the shelves for a while and it'll drop to $33,500 in no time at all. THEN jump in and grab it while it's cheap!

Jan 25, 2014 at 01:14 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Phase One announces 50MP CMOS medium format back

free shipping?

Jan 25, 2014 at 01:20 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Phase One announces 50MP CMOS medium format back

The hassie will probably be up there in almost the same price bracket.

Jan 25, 2014 at 01:54 PM
Luvwine
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Phase One announces 50MP CMOS medium format back

I know that medium format is a different market with much smaller sales volume, but it still seems hard to justify such an extreme price differential for this sensor over say the Sony A7r. I recognize that there are some nice features on this body, but still seems crazy to me price wise. The sensor is less than twice the size of full frame,and only has like a 20% bump in resolution with no improvement in dynamic range. It is almost like saying one should pay more than 10x higher price if moving from 18 mp aps-c to 24 mp full frame....

Jan 25, 2014 at 03:17 PM
waterden
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Phase One announces 50MP CMOS medium format back

Now I wonder if Fuji is thinking about putting a digital sensor in a GF670 (or similar) body. That would shake things up a bit.

Jan 25, 2014 at 03:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rscheffler
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Phase One announces 50MP CMOS medium format back

Consider that the target market for these backs is billing clients in the multi-thousand dollar day rate range, plus usage rights, etc.. Perhaps the last holdouts of the traditional big-budget photo market. There is also the expectation of a robust tethering solution. The price is not strictly tied to commodity costs... there's a lot of margin on these to cover the necessary dealer support network (though I guess there are also the service plans that cover some of that). With any product you're paying for the material costs as well as the wages of the people in the company, just that with a MF DB each back is paying a lot more of those wages divided by a few hundred units compared to an a7/a7r divided by tens/hundreds of thousands. Yet from Sony you still have to wait a month to get your defective product serviced, vs. immediate loaners and very fast turnaround to ensure you're always up and running. From an amateur/hobbyist perspective, it's a difficult justification compared to high MP FF. From the professional side, it's a different set of considerations depending on your needs and your clients' expectations.

Jan 25, 2014 at 04:10 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Phase One announces 50MP CMOS medium format back

The reason for the high costs is R&D amortization and lack of savings from mass production.

They develop one of these backs and sell a couple thousand of them total (the overall yearly MF digital market is in the mid-thousands in sales and a back lasts a couple years). That means that the R&D costs which add a few tens of dollars to the cost of a mirrorless or DSLR body. Remember, Nikon and Canon each sell more of their top-end body per month than the entire MFDB market sells in a year, by around a factor of 2-3.

So yeah, these are stupid expensive. But most of the production goes to rental houses. Most of the actual owners are either well-heeled amateurs or the very most successful advertising pro's.

Jan 25, 2014 at 04:15 PM
Lee Saxon
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Phase One announces 50MP CMOS medium format back

rscheffler wrote:
Consider that the target market for these backs is billing clients in the multi-thousand dollar day rate range, plus usage rights, etc.. Perhaps the last holdouts of the traditional big-budget photo market. There is also the expectation of a robust tethering solution. The price is not strictly tied to commodity costs... there's a lot of margin on these to cover the necessary dealer support network (though I guess there are also the service plans that cover some of that). With any product you're paying for the material costs as well as the wages of the people in the company, just
...Show more

mawz wrote:
The reason for the high costs is R&D amortization and lack of savings from mass production.

They develop one of these backs and sell a couple thousand of them total (the overall yearly MF digital market is in the mid-thousands in sales and a back lasts a couple years). That means that the R&D costs which add a few tens of dollars to the cost of a mirrorless or DSLR body. Remember, Nikon and Canon each sell more of their top-end body per month than the entire MFDB market sells in a year, by around a factor of 2-3.

So yeah, these
...Show more

All of this made complete sense to me in 2005. Then Red came along and offered the same level of professional service to a similarly small market but while providing a drastically higher level of engineering sophistication ("drastically to the second power" in software) / R&D investment for a similar or better price. Now, I dunno.

Jan 25, 2014 at 08:09 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Phase One announces 50MP CMOS medium format back

My initial response to these hi-Mp announcements is to drool & fantasize.
Then two things happen. The endorphin levels drop AND I look at either my digital files or better yet, a well taken 4x5 transparency.
Then I realize I have a lot more to improve on than just add Mp.
If I had the money, I would probably get one, just because.

I did have a 645AFD for a short while. I did like the camera/22mp back combo but the files were not much better than my 5DMkII files. Then the "more" Mp temptation began.

I still have an RZ67 that will take a back w/adapters, but hard to justify.

Now if someone would loan be a 33 or 40mp setup for a weekend in Yosemite I wouldn't turn it down

Dan

Jan 25, 2014 at 10:00 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Phase One announces 50MP CMOS medium format back

Lee Saxon wrote:
All of this made complete sense to me in 2005. Then Red came along and offered the same level of professional service to a similarly small market but while providing a drastically higher level of engineering sophistication ("drastically to the second power" in software) / R&D investment for a similar or better price. Now, I dunno.

To be fair, RED was founded by a billionaire who had an inkling for the video business and may not have had profitability as a concern.

Jan 25, 2014 at 10:34 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Phase One announces 50MP CMOS medium format back

Mikael Risedal wrote:
another triumph for Sony sensor tech

+1, oh well canon - where has you been

Jan 26, 2014 at 08:38 PM
dale keith

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Phase One announces 50MP CMOS medium format back

I read about these HUGE format cameras and then reality strikes. I am not is the same league as the shooter's who use them. The price 34,999.00 I paid that for a car. My Nikon looks better than ever.

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:38 PM
shaunmlavery
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Phase One announces 50MP CMOS medium format back

the big plus for the $34+ price tag...leaf shutters and with the CMOS sesonrs, they will now actually have live view. Now the latter is speculation on my part but the CCD was always holding them back in that department. If anyone has used live view on a MFDB, they are horrid! They could never dump the data fast enough.

I'll still keep my 35mm system alongside Capture One and use these as needed.

Happy to see they are "evolving" though and not simply letting time pass in front of their eyes.

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:30 PM
Matt Grum
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Phase One announces 50MP CMOS medium format back

shaunmlavery wrote:
Happy to see they are "evolving" though and not simply letting time pass in front of their eyes.

Sadly that's exactly what they are doing, none of the medium format digital players are large enough to develop their own sensors or commission somebody else to do it, so all they are able to do is to sit quiet and wait for someone to develop a sensor they can use!

Jan 28, 2014 at 12:54 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Phase One announces 50MP CMOS medium format back

Matt Grum wrote:
Sadly that's exactly what they are doing, none of the medium format digital players are large enough to develop their own sensors or commission somebody else to do it, so all they are able to do is to sit quiet and wait for someone to develop a sensor they can use!

Not exactly. Phase One was heavily involved with Dalsa and the development of their Dalsa sensor used in the P65+ and later MFDB sensors in the IQ series.

If you've used the IQ series MFDBs, it's pretty clear that medium format digital companies like Phase One are not sitting still. A MFDB is not like a DSLR---and I'm glad that there are differences.

ken

Jan 28, 2014 at 01:24 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password