FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Recently purchased D800 has left focus issue

dgenx24
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Recently purchased D800 has left focus issue

Hi, All

This is my first post here at nikon side.
I recently switched to Nikon after using Canon for more than 10 years.
I'm fairly happy with my new nikon cameras and the 1.8 primes until I bought 28 1.8 lens.

I've been hearing alot of focus issue on D800. That was a part of reasons I bought brand new two weeks ago. I had 35 1.8DX, 50 1.8G, 85 1.8G until today.
I tested and found no left focus issue with those lens up until my new (used) 28 1.8 arrived.

I searched and found out that focus issue is more apparent on wide angles. So I tested using the mothod suggested with 28mm.
Center and right side is very sharp, the lens is definately a sharp lens. but on left, it's back focusing.

Now, I'm quite diappointed that D800 is now how many years old? They are still putting out these camares with issues that had been addressed since long ago.
My serial is 30766xx that I bought from BH couple weeks ago.

I did 3 studio photoshoots already with $200 bux 50mm 1.8G and results came out excellent.

I can either live with it or go exchange for another one but what are the chances that I'll be lucky this time..

Jan 24, 2014 at 11:30 PM
form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Recently purchased D800 has left focus issue

Are you absolutely sure that the lens' focal plane is not showing a decentered element, e.g. one side of the frame is in focus while the other side of the frame showing an equidistant subject is out of focus?

It's totally unsurprising to hear a d800 has the focus issue. To-date, I've only ever used one in five d800 bodies that had NO sign of the focus issue...and I stupidly sold it to someone to pay for a 5d3. Never got quite the same great camera again, even my current one is a little deficient on the upper left side.

Jan 25, 2014 at 12:00 AM
dgenx24
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Recently purchased D800 has left focus issue

whole frame is equally sharp on both side. The lens is fine..
When using live view all 3 sides are very sharp. (left, center, right)
but when using AF, I just can't get left side on focus.

As you said, if only one in 5 bodies is good even in recent production, I'll just keep using it what I have.. it's not like i'm only using left focus points and only wide angles.. I could always recompose and shoot..

Just curious, If anyone experienced the issue from recent purchase..

Jan 25, 2014 at 12:27 AM
dgenx24
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Recently purchased D800 has left focus issue

just tested the 28mm on my d7100.. same thing happens..

is it the lens.. or both d800 & d7100 that I have?

Jan 25, 2014 at 12:31 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Recently purchased D800 has left focus issue

Either the lens or your testing method - are you correctly aligned etc. etc.

Jan 25, 2014 at 12:37 AM
dgenx24
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Recently purchased D800 has left focus issue

Frogfish wrote:
Either the lens or your testing method - are you correctly aligned etc. etc.

maybe it's the lens.
I read that left focus issue happens when using the 'farthest' focus point but mine seems to be left 'portion' not just the single farthest point...
when I'm correctly aligned and use center point focus, whole frame is sharp..
I'm confused...

Jan 25, 2014 at 12:46 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Recently purchased D800 has left focus issue

The 28G f/1.8 has some pretty intense field curvature and is not the best lens to use for testing the Left AF issue. It can be done but it requires lots of care. I would suggest you use your 35G f/1.8 or 50G instead.

Jan 25, 2014 at 01:25 AM
Fishinfool
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Recently purchased D800 has left focus issue

Same problem with only one (used) of your lenses tested on two bodies = lens.

Larry

Jan 25, 2014 at 02:36 AM
zerichy

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Recently purchased D800 has left focus issue

I tried 3 new D800 bodies in the past two weeks. Two from BH, one from adorama. All three have the left focus issue in some degree. Lenses tried include 24 1.4g, 35 1.8g, 50 1.8g, 85 1.8g. From 35mm and above, the problem is not as pronounced. The far left AF point gives me acceptable focus, slightly back focused compared with the center point, but still sharp. The right side AF points are all good. 24mm 1.4g shows the biggest problem, which was tested fine with my D7000 (no lens issue). Only 1 body (sn/3083xxx) showed OK result (not very mushy image...), though the bottom far left points back focused more and may not be usable for critical shots. The other 2 bodies (3076xxx, 3077xxx) got serious back focus for most of the left AF points.

My conclusion is Nikon definitely hasn't fixed the problem. The issue is covered if you don't use wide angle fast lens. I'll probably keep the better one though and stop trying. I probably won't get a better one even if try further...

Jan 25, 2014 at 08:05 PM
dgenx24
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Recently purchased D800 has left focus issue

zerichy wrote:
I tried 3 new D800 bodies in the past two weeks. Two from BH, one from adorama. All three have the left focus issue in some degree. Lenses tried include 24 1.4g, 35 1.8g, 50 1.8g, 85 1.8g. From 35mm and above, the problem is not as pronounced. The far left AF point gives me acceptable focus, slightly back focused compared with the center point, but still sharp. The right side AF points are all good. 24mm 1.4g shows the biggest problem, which was tested fine with my D7000 (no lens issue). Only 1 body (sn/3083xxx) showed OK result (not
...Show more

thanks!
my 28mm behaves the same on D7100 also.
I get useless images using left focus points on both cameras during test & real life shooting.
I dont' have any other wide lens at this moment, so no more testing..
I guess I will be careful when using wide angle instead of trying out more bodies... this sucks a bit..

Jan 25, 2014 at 08:33 PM
dgenx24
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Recently purchased D800 has left focus issue

snapsy wrote:
The 28G f/1.8 has some pretty intense field curvature and is not the best lens to use for testing the Left AF issue. It can be done but it requires lots of care. I would suggest you use your 35G f/1.8 or 50G instead.

thanks.
I get your point but how the field curvature issue only effects only the left side? I don't understand...

Jan 25, 2014 at 08:35 PM
james.d53
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Recently purchased D800 has left focus issue

dgenx24 wrote:
I can either live with it or go exchange for another one but what are the chances that I'll be lucky this time..

Ask them to send you another, or just send it in to Nikon and they will fix this one. Mine had the same issues and I sent it in for another reason, but mentioned this and it came back fixed.

Jan 25, 2014 at 09:42 PM
zerichy

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Recently purchased D800 has left focus issue

dgenx24 wrote:
thanks!
my 28mm behaves the same on D7100 also.
I get useless images using left focus points on both cameras during test & real life shooting.
I dont' have any other wide lens at this moment, so no more testing..
I guess I will be careful when using wide angle instead of trying out more bodies... this sucks a bit..

D7100 has the same AF module as D800. If it is a design flaw, they will act the same. The three D800 I have tried all have the same issue. It won't be a surprise if that happened to D7100. Take your 28mm to a store like best buy and try it on a demo D7000 or below model and see if you have the same issue. At f1.8 even in store it'll be easy to tell if there is a problem.

Jan 25, 2014 at 11:39 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Recently purchased D800 has left focus issue

Send it in under warranty, Nikon will claim impact damage. I've got first hand experience.

Jan 26, 2014 at 12:02 AM
dgenx24
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Recently purchased D800 has left focus issue

thanks guys for suggestions!
I'm about to order 16-35 vr in order to complete my nikon set up.
I'll test when I get the lens. don't know if it'll be good enough to test at f4.
if it still fails.. i guess i'll send it out to nikon instead of getting an exchange..

Jan 26, 2014 at 09:04 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Recently purchased D800 has left focus issue

dgenx24 wrote:
thanks.
I get your point but how the field curvature issue only effects only the left side? I don't understand...

Because if the lens if not AF tuned accurately it can manifest as assymetrical focus, particular for D800 bodies that have a small left-to-right delta but not enough to be an issue with proper AF tuning. Not saying the 28G can't be used for testing the Left AF issue but it needs to be done with care.

Jan 27, 2014 at 02:25 AM
okafoja
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Recently purchased D800 has left focus issue

dgenx24 wrote:
thanks guys for suggestions!
I'm about to order 16-35 vr in order to complete my nikon set up.
I'll test when I get the lens. don't know if it'll be good enough to test at f4.
if it still fails.. i guess i'll send it out to nikon instead of getting an exchange..

Remember sending stuff out to Nikon is not as easy as with Canon. Be prepared to send tons of pictures to prove your case and if you are luck they may forward those pictures to Japan. Japan will decide whether you need to send it in or not. This may take weeks. So make sure you really really need to send it in before doing so. I( hope you have a backup camera.

Jan 27, 2014 at 01:01 PM
dgenx24
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Recently purchased D800 has left focus issue

snapsy wrote:
Because if the lens if not AF tuned accurately it can manifest as assymetrical focus, particular for D800 bodies that have a small left-to-right delta but not enough to be an issue with proper AF tuning. Not saying the 28G can't be used for testing the Left AF issue but it needs to be done with care.

thanks! snapsy
good to know.

Jan 27, 2014 at 04:46 PM
dgenx24
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Recently purchased D800 has left focus issue

okafoja wrote:
Remember sending stuff out to Nikon is not as easy as with Canon. Be prepared to send tons of pictures to prove your case and if you are luck they may forward those pictures to Japan. Japan will decide whether you need to send it in or not. This may take weeks. So make sure you really really need to send it in before doing so. I( hope you have a backup camera.

okafoja, thanks for the info.
I guess I'll try to live with it..

you nikon folks rock! very helpful

Jan 27, 2014 at 06:09 PM
unclemikey
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Recently purchased D800 has left focus issue

I recently bought a pair of D800e from B&H. They did not arrive together so I took the first one out to make the same type of tests mentioned here with the Nikon 28 f1.8G. For the first hour I shot only left focus spot and had no problems. As I was going home I thought what if my camera has right focus problems so I made some shots using as many of the AF points I could. Nothing out of the ordinary was noticed. I did the same test with the 50mm and the 85mm and no left focus problems. The second camera arrived a week later, (Hmmmm) and I made another series of tests with that camera and had no problems. I usually shoot AF-S and either matrix or center metering anyway but I just wanted to know.

Any of you think maybe Nikon fixed the left focus problem in the 800e?

Jan 28, 2014 at 03:44 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.