Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              11      
       end

Archive 2014 · Wondering about the cloud......

Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.12 #1 · p.12 #1 · Wondering about the cloud......

Lars Johnsson wrote:
The right to choose between CC and Perpetual

I own probably 30 different software from many different companies. And none of those give me any right to choose between a CC and Perpetual model.

+1

Yes it's funny when some people here say "Adobe taking away their right to choose between CC and Perpetual" and no other company let you do that.

Feb 09, 2014 at 09:45 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.12 #2 · p.12 #2 · Wondering about the cloud......

Lasse Eriksson wrote:
Yes it's funny when some people here say "Adobe taking away their right to choose between CC and Perpetual" and no other company let you do that.

Microsoft does.

Feb 09, 2014 at 11:12 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.12 #3 · p.12 #3 · Wondering about the cloud......

Lasse Eriksson wrote:
If you use a PC which most people do, then Aperture is not even an option

You seem to have a propensity for missing the point. I didn't bring up Aperture as a suggested universal alternative ... I mentioned it as an example of common misconception that not all alternatives to Adobe software are as "inferior" as some would have us believe. Or that it is too difficult to adopt and utilize such alternatives as had been suggested.

Besides, choosing to work on a Windows only platform is a self-imposed limitation. A limitation that can easily be corrected.

Feb 09, 2014 at 11:40 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.12 #4 · p.12 #4 · Wondering about the cloud......

Eyeball wrote:
Microsoft does.

And I'm sure they have some great software that can replace PS & LR. And I could of course tell you 100 companies that don't do that

Feb 09, 2014 at 11:46 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.12 #5 · p.12 #5 · Wondering about the cloud......

butchM wrote:
You seem to have a propensity for missing the point. I didn't bring up Aperture as a suggested universal alternative ... I mentioned it as an example of common misconception that not all alternatives to Adobe software are as "inferior" as some would have us believe. Or that it is too difficult to adopt and utilize such alternatives as had been suggested.

Besides, choosing to work on a Windows only platform is a self-imposed limitation. A limitation that can easily be corrected.

I use both Mac and PC. And that's the reason I like the CC Photographer bundle so much. I can use it on both platforms with one license.

Feb 09, 2014 at 11:49 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.12 #6 · p.12 #6 · Wondering about the cloud......

Lasse Eriksson wrote:
I use both Mac and PC. And that's the reason I like the CC Photographer bundle so much. I can use it on both platforms with one license.

Well ... Adobe could have offered cross-platform options with CS perpetual licensing as well but chose not to. Like they do with Lr perpetual licensing.

Feb 10, 2014 at 09:00 AM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.12 #7 · p.12 #7 · Wondering about the cloud......

butchM wrote:

Lasse Eriksson wrote:
Well ... Adobe could have offered cross-platform options with CS perpetual licensing as well but chose not to. Like they do with Lr perpetual licensing.

And if you went under the volume licensing system you did in fact get both windows and mac license codes for CS.

Feb 10, 2014 at 09:43 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.12 #8 · p.12 #8 · Wondering about the cloud......

Lasse Eriksson wrote:

butchM wrote:

Adobe has CHOSEN to NOT SELL a perpetual license. It is well within their "RIGHT" to peddle their products however they so desire ... I just think it isn't very smart to rescind the perpetual license terms, as some customers prefer it.

That's like telling a client that you are CHANGING your business model and will ONLY license an image to them under one set of conditions/terms as a change to your business model that you've been conducting with them for a long time already. If the client objects to the new terms, then your unwillingness to offer a different set of terms (which you can construct to your liking) or the original terms RISKS losing the client.

I've always been glad to see the CC model. I think it is an excellent option for some. But, the "for some" means not "for all" ... and that leaves $$$ on the table.

Imagine if Chevy changed their business model to "Lease ONLY" or Walmart went to a monthly "Rental ONLY" (on durable goods) without even offering a "Rent To Own" ... do you think they would retain their customer base the same?

Generally speaking, making such a paradigm shift in your business model works IF that IS what your customers have been asking for. As it is, many of Adobe's tried & true loyal customers are NOT asking for that paradigm shift in the way of conducting business with Adobe. The consumers were NOT asking for the Edsel, thus no matter how great of an idea Ford thought it would be, it wasn't received with the same fervor that Ford had told themselves it would be. CC is likely to fare better than the Edsel, but recension of the perpetual license was NOT what Adobe's customers were asking for. True, some may have been asking for an OPTION different from the perpetual license model, due to the initial cost barrier @ entry ... but, that is NOT the same thing as asking to RESCIND the perpetual license model to an ONLY CC model.

I get that the "repeat customer" is incredibly valuable and the CC model "looks like" a repeat customer, and very likely is. But, in the process of going CC ONLY, Adobe is retarding a segment of their market from being a repeat customer (and those who have proven themselves to be such already @ upgrades ... hoping that their hostage play will eventually work to convert everyone to CC.

Making the policy change to "must upgrade" to CS6 and can only upgrade 1 version at a time was sufficient (painful to swallow for skippers) to restructure from 3 version skippers to repeat customers on regular cycles (skippers likely to remain 1 behind, but still repeat customers over the long term). The ADDITION of CC would provide Adobe with two revenue streams (roughly equitable), but they have now choked themselves down to ONLY ONE revenue stream from which customers to choose.

I simply do not see the strategy to rescind and restrict your customer base to only ONE stream for extracting $$$ from our wallets as prudent business. The reduction in revenue stream options, coupled with the alienating staunch positioning after reneging on the "must upgrade to CS6" to be eligible for future upgrades will likely find itself as a case study in the journals of academia in subsequent years.

Imo, the "CC ONLY" is the 21st century software industry's Edsel. Ford (painfully) saw that they had missed the mark and subsequently made adjustments. Hopefully, Adobe will likewise make the necessary adjustments as well ... in whatever form that materializes.

Edited on Feb 10, 2014 at 02:52 PM · View previous versions

Feb 10, 2014 at 02:25 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.12 #9 · p.12 #9 · Wondering about the cloud......

Kent - Don't forget that Adobe also claimed that it would be too expensive and use too many resources for them to develop parallel CC and Perpetual versions. They also claimed that they were moving to CC to combat pirating as well. Now, I don't know much about programming, but I've to to think that it can't be that hard for them to do both when the underlying programs are identical.

The problem with CC has always been that Adobe is forcing consumers into an option they may not want with no other options and no viable competition, and with terms and conditions that are odious at best. It's far too easy to be seduced by a low initial price, only to find out that it ends up costing you way more in the long run and you have to agree to terms you may not actually agree with.

In addition, so far, there's virtually nothing, feature-wise, that warrants a paid upgrade, at least from the perspective of a professional doing high end retouching and imaging. The ONLY reason I subscribed is so I don't look like and idiot when a client sends me files (particularly InDesign) that I need to work on in the latest version. Adobe has also introduced a serious bug into CC when you invoke a Curves Adjustment Layer via an F-Key Action. The Preview button is now broken - well, it works once then stops working and if you okay your curve with the preview unchecked, there's no effect on the image. Sweet.

Feb 10, 2014 at 02:48 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.12 #10 · p.12 #10 · Wondering about the cloud......

Peter,

+1 @ Adobe thinks they are the only game in town (sort of) ... and are playing strong-arm tactics accordingly. I agree that there really is no suitable replacement for magnitude of tools comprised in PS. Plenty of photo editing programs, but for those who (learned enough) have dug a bit deeper into PS, they realize that little else really compares (that I'm aware of).

Two (quick) things that come to mind are Channels and LAB ... I've not seen that in other photo editing software I've demo'd. When I was looking at alternatives to PS in light of the policy change to 1 version upgrade, I didn't find anything with LAB. I don't use LAB as much these days, but I only use that as an example of where PS differs from the others. Another one that comes to mind is the Pantone color palette. I don't use it, but I respect the fact that PS contains it, while many photo editing programs do not. At this stage of my PS utilization, I can't imagine relinquishing channel masks and color balance tools capabilities in PS. Granted, I've not demo'd much in the last couple years, so there may be something out there ... but I figure it would still only be a knockoff rather than the real thing, and would likely incur relinquishing something else in the exchange anyway.

The depth of PS is (imo) unparalleled, so I won't be changing anytime soon. Like Chez mentions, the time invested into the learning curve and the efficiency of knowing your tool has value. I just know that since I've already got CS6 and the tools there are sufficient for me, CC perpetual rental is not on my radar anytime soon.

But, even if v. 14 doesn't hold anything for me NOW, if they were to progress to a v.15 and it DID hold something for me ... yup, I'd have to climb through v.14 to get it. But, seeing is believing and seeing what I want in v.15 would then be sufficient to pull me through v.14.

As is ... CC is a perpetual leap of faith that something will materialize that I want while they continue to trickle down bells & whistles. Had Adobe made this move right after going to 64 bit and the content aware changes, I think people would have had much more faith (sight unseen) in Adobe's continuum to bring valuable improvements in future revisions. As is, their "improvements" seem to be more about features than performance at this stage of the programs development.

I still think CC is a good thing for some ... just NOT as an ONLY. Actually, I probably would have gone with CS5.5 if Adobe hadn't mandated CS6 (v.13) as necessary for future upgrades ... which they have reneged on by REFUSING to license v.14 to us with their now "CC ONLY" positioning.

Whether or not one loves or hates CC ... the fact remains that Adobe reneged on their "must upgrade" policy. And that is alienating to a segment of their (PROVEN) customer base.

Feb 10, 2014 at 03:13 PM
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.