New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Shooting in freezing weather

danski0224
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Shooting in freezing weather

I went for a walk in the last batch of subzero weather in my area. I think it was -10*F.

I set a time limit of 30 minutes out and 30 minutes back.

The camera battery froze- or at least became inoperative on the way out. I had to take it out and put it into an external pocket to warm it up. Then I had a battery opening in the camera- didn't have two batteries.

I have worked outside in what many even in the midwestern USA would call extreme weather. I have the proper gear to do it.

That said, while wandering out in the environment, it is dangerous when no one knows where you are. If there is cellular reception, the battery inside a cell phone also freezes/stops working rather quickly. Not a big deal if you keep it in a pocket, but it becomes a problem if you fall and your way out (your phone) gets damaged.

Jan 25, 2014 at 06:45 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Shooting in freezing weather

Let me add one other to the extra batteries and slow warm when entering home:

The most difficult 2 things for me are:
1) Remembering not to breathe when focussing. If you get the viewfinder, or liveview, or worse lens covered in ice, it does not work. Hold you breath when you focus. And breath away from the camera. Use liveview.
2) Remember that if your nose touchs the liveview screen at -35, you will have big red splotch for a month on the tip of your nose - use liveview focusing or cover the screen with something not glass or metal or cover your nose.

Lessons painfully learned.

Scott

Jan 25, 2014 at 04:14 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Shooting in freezing weather

Scott Stoness wrote:
Let me add one other to the extra batteries and slow warm when entering home:

The most difficult 2 things for me are:
1) Remembering not to breathe when focussing. If you get the viewfinder, or liveview, or worse lens covered in ice, it does not work. Hold you breath when you focus. And breath away from the camera. Use liveview.
2) Remember that if your nose touchs the liveview screen at -35, you will have big red splotch for a month on the tip of your nose - use liveview focusing or cover the screen with something not glass or metal
...Show more

I use a Baffin Fog-Off Face Mask in really cold weather. It keeps your cheeks, nose, lips, and chin warm, and deflects nose exhaust downwards. No breath gets on the camera.

http://www.baffin.com/product-p/headu004.htm

http://www.baffin.com/product-p/headu004.htm

Jan 25, 2014 at 04:25 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Shooting in freezing weather

I guess I'm just a whimp now and try and avoid cold weather shooting. Nothing under 5 degrees C (don't know what that is in fahrenheit). Maybe I'm getting old because in the film days, I wouldn't give it a thought about going out in really cold weather, I'd just pick up the camera and go.

Jan 25, 2014 at 04:57 PM
irish-george
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Shooting in freezing weather

LCDs DO have issues in frigid weather, so a way of keeping them a bit warmer would be helpful. I found out that the LCDs in my car fail at -10F and resume working at -9F.

Jan 25, 2014 at 05:25 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.