Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

what's up with the new guys?

jaenagle

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · what's up with the new guys?

so ive noticed that people who are new and post something for sale always have that "one guy" who has to state that people might not bother buying from them because they dont have feedback... well thats obvious, but whats the point of stating that. Weren't you at that point once? New to the forum....

just wondering cause i feel like im getting hounded by half the people on the buy and sell forum because i have something for sale that equals the price of the item... i.e $120 gift card for $120.

just wondering if anyone else has been through the same thing? kinda discourages me from the forum in general

Jan 24, 2014 at 06:41 PM
teddoman
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · what's up with the new guys?

If you've shopped for stuff here, you'll notice pretty much everything that sells has an appropriate "used" discount. Even BNIB stuff. I'm rather new myself but it's clearly a common, though not universal, practice here.

Not sure how they're hounding you, do you mean they're making offers? People have a right to price things the way they want, I'm all for that, but people also have a right to suggest they'd like to pay less too I guess. This is basically a bustling bazaar (version 2.0)-- bargaining and cajoling is allowed

Jan 24, 2014 at 09:09 PM
jaenagle

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · what's up with the new guys?

no... making offers is perfectly fine for me. i just meant that they arent so "nice" when it comes to saying "you should lower your price." i just feel like im defending my name in the entire thread.

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:11 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · what's up with the new guys?

That's the 'net - chock full of berks and gits and know-it-alls.

Jan 25, 2014 at 04:49 AM
bbryz30

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · what's up with the new guys?

Sorry to hear about your experience. But isn't that person hounding you going against the guidelines here. According the FAQ:

Can I post my concerns regarding the seller's price on a listing price?
If you don't agree with an item's price, or if you know a place where the same item is being sold for less, do NOT interfere or post your opinion/prices on the thread in question. The seller may not know what the "politically correct" price. Members posting prices or being hostile to the seller's threads will be warned or even have their accounts locked.

Jan 25, 2014 at 05:37 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · what's up with the new guys?

I have observed that a flea-market/garage-sale mentality has been on the increase in the past couple of years on the B&S board.
Stick to your guns, maintain the price you believe is right, and if you receive comments on your sale which violate the forum rules, do not hesitate to report the offender.

Jan 25, 2014 at 05:57 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · what's up with the new guys?

no... making offers is perfectly fine for me. i just meant that they arent so "nice" when it comes to saying "you should lower your price." i just feel like im defending my name in the entire thread.
Probably because your listing makes as much sense as "for trade: my 2 $50 bills for your $100 bill"
Who in their right mind would send someone (esp. an unknown hereabouts) $120 for the hope of getting
$120 back in return. Think you're taking heat because that's absurd. Discounting heavily might work. GL

Jan 25, 2014 at 01:02 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · what's up with the new guys?

trenchmonkey wrote:
Probably because your listing makes as much sense as "for trade: my 2 $50 bills for your $100 bill"
Who in their right mind would send someone (esp. an unknown hereabouts) $120 for the hope of getting
$120 back in return. Think you're taking heat because that's absurd. Discounting heavily might work. GL

I agree with Will. But also will add, the 1st thought that came to my mind is that you must have gotten the gift card at a reduced rate, as a gift or whatever because it will cost you more to sell & ship it than if you paid face value.
Also with the huge influx recently of fraudulent gift cards with activation problems, personally I would not consider such a sale.

But I understand your problem with the "price police". Remind them of the rules and go on or just ignore them...
Dan

Jan 25, 2014 at 02:27 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · what's up with the new guys?

Fair market value (FMV) is an estimate of the market value of a property, based on what a knowledgeable, willing, and unpressured buyer would probably pay to a knowledgeable, willing, and unpressured seller in the market. An estimate of fair market value may be founded either on precedent or extrapolation. Fair market value differs from the intrinsic value that an individual may place on the same asset based on their own preferences and circumstances.

Jan 26, 2014 at 02:18 AM
sevenzerotwo

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · what's up with the new guys?

Could be worse... try selling anything of value on *gasp* Craigslist!

Feb 07, 2014 at 06:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mjbetch
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · what's up with the new guys?

I understand where you're coming from but you can't expect someone to pay full price for a gift card. They might as well use PayPal or their CC at the place where your gift card is redeemable at, because at least they're covered in some way. This does not only apply to here, but to any other second hand market elsewhere.

When you shop around a marketplace, you're never ever going to pay retail. Maybe close, but never retail. Good luck!

Btw, I think I've asked you this before... RVA?

Feb 07, 2014 at 11:30 PM
Kaiku

Account locked
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · what's up with the new guys?

Trying selling something high over 1,000 with no feedback and just have registered.

Feb 08, 2014 at 04:37 AM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · what's up with the new guys?

jaenagle wrote:
so ive noticed that people who are new and post something for sale always have that "one guy" who has to state that people might not bother buying from them because they dont have feedback... well thats obvious, but whats the point of stating that. Weren't you at that point once? New to the forum....

just wondering cause i feel like im getting hounded by half the people on the buy and sell forum because i have something for sale that equals the price of the item... i.e $120 gift card for $120.

just wondering if anyone else has been through
...Show more

If you cant figure this out yourself, we ain't going to be able to help you......

Feb 08, 2014 at 07:54 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · what's up with the new guys?

If you were selling a $120 gift card for, say, $80. I might bite. But why buy through you when I could go through the actual store and be guaranteed no problems?

Feb 09, 2014 at 01:46 AM
jasonyuen
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · what's up with the new guys?

new guy here. I'm working my way up to 25 posts so I can join the buy/sell. Any advice on what to avoid, be careful of, or watch out for?

Feb 10, 2014 at 01:44 AM
ronmonger

Account locked
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · what's up with the new guys?

reduce the price

Feb 13, 2014 at 12:38 PM
Charles Loy
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · what's up with the new guys?

jasonyuen wrote:
new guy here. I'm working my way up to 25 posts so I can join the buy/sell. Any advice on what to avoid, be careful of, or watch out for?

Maybe start a new thread, not good to jump a thread with a new topic.

Feb 15, 2014 at 01:43 AM
Jess Edward
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · what's up with the new guys?

$120 for a gift card worth $120 is not a deal at all. There is absolutely no point.

Feb 15, 2014 at 08:47 AM
sgtbueno
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · what's up with the new guys?

Sorry, but this is really funny, I can't believe you're asking why, just think for a minute, why in earth someone will pay you 120 for a 120 card, will you buy it? whats the incentive? why take a risk from you when they can just go buy it from the merchant? wake up

Feb 15, 2014 at 12:27 PM
xnevp

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · what's up with the new guys?

it's just the internet, man.......

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:48 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password