Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · 5D Classic and Tilt/Shift?

Wobble
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D Classic and Tilt/Shift?

For real estate shots does it make sense to try and use a tilt/shift lens on a 5D Classic (with no live view for 10x focusing)?

Jan 24, 2014 at 08:10 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D Classic and Tilt/Shift?

You mean a 5D?

Yes, just buy an angle finder, I used one for years before liveview was invented. T/s lenses have been in use for a lot longer than liveview

In some ways it's actually much easier if you are right up against a wall, where it's difficult to get far enough back from the camera to focus your eyes on the LCD

Jan 24, 2014 at 08:20 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D Classic and Tilt/Shift?

I wonder if there is a "question behind this question," as in "should a buy a 5D to use with TS lenses for real estate photography?"

If you already have one and you want to make do with the body that you have, you certainly can use TS (or essentially any other lens) with the 5D and you should be able to produce beautiful photographs with the combination. However, if you don't already have one and you are thinking of buying the camera for use with TS lenses, i would strongly recommend that you consider trying to come up with funds for a 5DII (used?) if you can, since live view can make a big different in your tripod based workflow with such a lens.

Dan

Edited on Jan 24, 2014 at 12:46 PM · View previous versions

Jan 24, 2014 at 08:39 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D Classic and Tilt/Shift?

Easier with live view, but certainly usable with a 5d. Just use the depth of field button to check the focus.

Jan 24, 2014 at 08:43 AM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D Classic and Tilt/Shift?

I have the 5D already, just wondering about T/S primarily for home interiors.

Jan 24, 2014 at 08:47 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D Classic and Tilt/Shift?

I bought most of my T-S lenses before the 5DII came out.

Jan 24, 2014 at 08:48 AM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D Classic and Tilt/Shift?

Consider renting a 17mm or 24mm TS-E for a few days, and see what you think!

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:09 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5D Classic and Tilt/Shift?

I used the 5D with 24TSE for years without LV. Simply take the photo, then quickly review, including zooming in to see details. It's the poor man's LV.

But I agree, the 5D2 is considerably better and LV is only the tip of the iceberg.

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:26 AM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5D Classic and Tilt/Shift?

I began with the 5D - TS-E24L and still don't really need live view.

You could try an app called DSLR controller from a smartphone.

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:28 AM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5D Classic and Tilt/Shift?

People (myself included) have been shooting TSE lenses well before Live View came into play (and during the brief period when Live View was considered "just a gimmick"), so I am sure it still can be done.

The suggestion of using an angle finder is a good one, but it doesn't help with getting corners flat, so it doesn't help so much with tilt. Then again, for architecture photography I think you won't be tilting all too often

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:41 AM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5D Classic and Tilt/Shift?

For interiors, you will primarily want shift, and only occasionally will tilt be useful. For shift only, your focus issues are much simpler, and the optical view finder will be fine for framing. For focus, remember that even though you will not have autofocus with a TS-E, the lens will activate the focus indication spot or spots with the red rectangle when they are in focus. Just be sure to stay in one shot mode, and manually move slowly through the focus point to see the rectangle light up.

The Canon TS-E lenses have a nice long throw manual focus scale, so estimating focus distance by eye can also be very effective, and you may even want to do focus with a tape measure and a depth of field table if the scene is tricky, or if you are not good at estimating distance. And the TS-E lenses have a very usable set of built in depth of field marks, so you really do not even need to consult a depth of field table or depth of field app.

The angle finder suggested in a previous post is also a great idea, and besides using it for framing, its magnification is very helpful for doing manual focus through the viewfinder.

A live view full frame camera like a 6D or a 5D2 or a 5D3 can be a future goal, and it does simplify the use of a TS-E lens. But just like others in posts above, I used two different TS-E lenses with my 5D for many years, and made some nice photographs with the combination.

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:44 AM
eosfun
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5D Classic and Tilt/Shift?

Well there might be another option for your TS photography: buy one of the Sony NEX-es and a Tilt-Shift adapter. It's a budget solution that works quite well. Your current lenses cover the APS-C sensor, the Sony NEX sensor is wonrderful and the tiltable screen and live view modi, with focus peaking and enlarged focus points on the Sony are great. At the same as o bonus you'll have a compact backup body in your setup too. Even Sony, with the help of an adapter can add EOSfun

Jan 24, 2014 at 11:00 AM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5D Classic and Tilt/Shift?

Here is an example of the EOS 5D with TS-E 45 f/2.8 -

Jan 24, 2014 at 12:26 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5D Classic and Tilt/Shift?

Rajan Parrikar wrote:
Here is an example of the EOS 5D with TS-E 45 f/2.8 -

A very good example

Jan 24, 2014 at 12:37 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5D Classic and Tilt/Shift?

Sounds like I just need to rent one and give it a try. I have a 7D, but would lose the advantage of the 17mm or 24mm width with the crop factor. I will look into the angle finder(no pun intended) to see if that works for me. Great info on using the depth of field button and the focus confirmation! I have a G10 for a compact P&S.

Saving up for a 5D3 for now, and would really love a 1DX, but that, plus the T/S lens, means I need a few decent commission checks. Off to go list a house!!! Thanks for the great tips.

Jan 24, 2014 at 12:55 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5D Classic and Tilt/Shift?

Wobble wrote:
For real estate shots does it make sense to try and use a tilt/shift lens on a 5D Classic (with no live view for 10x focusing)?

Yes. People used them with film SLR cameras. Shift is easy and, as others have said, is more useful for real estate than tilt.

The main trick for tilting is that the three planes intersect under the camera (study Scheimpflug principle, see also Merklinger). Grasp the concept and then you can see it in the viewfinder and check the shot on the LCD after taking it to tweak and adjust.

Here is a link that illustrates the concepts and has some handy tables at the end. Find your focal length table, find your shooting height above ground and then you can read off the degree of tilt. Memorize the degree setting for your lens and your height (eyeline minus an inch and a half) and you can just set the tilt and make shots handheld, if you hold the camera back vertical.

Jan 24, 2014 at 01:41 PM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5D Classic and Tilt/Shift?

Wobble wrote:

I have always found accurate fine adjustment of tilt to be very difficult using the viewfinder or Canon C angle finder only. The magnified Live View of the 5D II really was enabling for low angle tilt shots.
However, for your application of architecture, use of shift is far more important and is used on every shot. Shift adjustment can be done much more effectively with a viewfinder as the parallelism of room lines are larger image elements that can be optimized in the viewfinder.
Mike K

Jan 24, 2014 at 02:00 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 5D Classic and Tilt/Shift?

Monito wrote:
Yes. People used them with film SLR cameras. Shift is easy and, as others have said, is more useful for real estate than tilt.

The main trick for tilting is that the three planes intersect under the camera (study Scheimpflug principle, see also Merklinger). Grasp the concept and then you can see it in the viewfinder and check the shot on the LCD after taking it to tweak and adjust.

Here is a link that illustrates the concepts and has some handy tables at the end. Find your focal length table, find your shooting height above ground and then you can read
...Show more

Just a tiny follow up point. I don't think anyone would claim that one cannot effectively use a lens with movements on a 5D or other camera without live view. I think the point is that if you are getting a camera for that purpose (and, no, the OP is not - I asked) there is a very good chance that you might find the live view feature to make the process even more effective.

Take care,

Dan

Jan 24, 2014 at 04:26 PM
alba63
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 5D Classic and Tilt/Shift?

The TS-E 24mm (Version 1) was my most used lens with my old 5d classic a few years ago. However almost exclusively outside shots of architecture. For this purpose it was ok without liveview, in reality I almost always just set the lens to infinity and stopped down to F11 or even further in order to get sharp borders when shifted.

However if you have to rely on the viewfinder for closer distances (indoor) you'd either have to shoot from a tripod and again stop down to F11 or F13, or shoot several shots every time.

However seen the prices for used 5dII bodies, I'd rather save a few months and get that liveview body. It is just so much more precise, you can even look into the corners at full rez.

Jan 25, 2014 at 12:09 PM
rsk7
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 5D Classic and Tilt/Shift?

Depends on your age and your eyes. Around my mid40s my near focus started to get worse. So did my ability to use the TSE24 on the 5Dc. Even with the Ee Focusing Screen it was hit and miss. I upgraded to 5D3 with LV and it made alot of difference for me.

By the way, I still have the Ee screen if you want to buy it.

Jan 25, 2014 at 12:37 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.