New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · lens help

yansgtp

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · lens help

Hello all, I have a focal length question. I mainly shoot wedding and senior pictures, so my gear is set around me being able to walk closer to the subject if I need to. My question is I've been ask to shoot a cheerleading competition inside a mall. I'm planning on having to be father away with no chance of getting in close to the action. I need to rent a lens for this I know I'll need something fast because there won’t be a ton of light it will be crowed and I'll want to be able to move around, so I need to hand hold the shots. Is there an easy way to know what focal length I'll need to get a nice full body shot of the cheerleader for her parents? I'll be roughly 70-100 feet away. I have a Canon 5D and a 60D. I'm going to use the 5D because the focusing is better and faster.

TIA

Jan 23, 2014 at 11:51 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · lens help

Canon 400mm f2.8 IS II

Jan 23, 2014 at 12:45 PM
yansgtp

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · lens help

dmacmillan wrote:
Canon 400mm f2.8 IS II

Thank you!

Jan 23, 2014 at 02:32 PM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · lens help

If you can hand-hold Canon's second heaviest (I think) lens more power to you. I certainly couldn't. The 400/2.8 is a beast. Maybe a 135/2 with a teleconverter? That would be a whole lot lighter both in weight and in $$.

keith

Jan 23, 2014 at 05:55 PM
Ed Peters
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · lens help

You are going to need a mono-pod.

Jan 23, 2014 at 05:59 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · lens help

70 to 100 feet away in a mall setting seems like a long, long way off. Why can't you get closer? 70-200 would be my choice, unless you really can't get in closer. The other consideration is whether you want to get just one person or the whole group. You might need more than one lens for this gig.

Jan 23, 2014 at 11:28 PM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · lens help

If you are not use to hand holding super teles, you are in for a nice surprise.

Agree 70-100 feet is quite far for a mall setting but if thats the gig, I would use a monopod also.

Jan 24, 2014 at 01:42 AM
paul31003
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · lens help

At those distances, a monopod and IS is essential.

Jan 24, 2014 at 01:55 AM
yansgtp

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · lens help

I'm just trying to be prepared for the worst case scenario. I'm guessing there will be a lot of people there and I was think I could shoot it from the second floor, but since this is my first shot at something like this I don't really know what to expect that's why I'm asking the experts. It's only one person I don't need the whole group. The mall will be fairly well lit. I'm hoping I'll be able to get in closer, but I just don't want to have to hold the camera over my head trying to get the shot. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 24, 2014 at 06:48 AM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · lens help

A stepladder.

Jan 24, 2014 at 07:22 AM
01Ryan10
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · lens help

yansgtp wrote:
I'll be roughly 70-100 feet away. I have a Canon 5D and a 60D. I'm going to use the 5D because the focusing is better and faster.

TIA

I assume you're referring to a 5DIII, because a 60D should focus faster than a 5D Classic.

How about 60D and some flavor of a 200L lens, zoom or prime. That will put you at 320mm effective focal length.

Jan 24, 2014 at 11:21 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.