Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

end

Suspected stolen goods

tennclay
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Suspected stolen goods

You would be surpassed how much gear people buy an sell, just as a hobby - you really can't judge that something is stolen just because the guy has a lot of stuff. And as mentioned above - there are a lot of people who are turning over items for a profit - nothing wrong with that.

If you did the deal at the guy's house, I think he is likely on the up and up - did you ask for any receipts?

Feb 11, 2014 at 12:44 AM
ronmonger

Account locked
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Suspected stolen goods

well,don't involve the police if you don't need to,you might end up regretting you did.

Feb 13, 2014 at 12:20 PM
zlgragg
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Suspected stolen goods

There's money that can be made with buying and selling electronics, for sure. I, myself, have made a few Ben's buying/selling on CL then FM and vice-versa. This guy could be on the up and up, as others have said. It's hard to tell, and I echo what others have said, be careful going to the police too soon.

If you really want to figure out if he is a legit seller, then I recommend taking a good look at his prices for the used gear he sells. Then, compare his prices to other used prices in different resell arenas, like: eBay, Amazon, FM, CL. Consider that eBay and Amazon both charge a commission, plus sellers recognize a risk to selling online; for this reason, eBay and Amazon prices should typically be >10% higher than CL or FM. Also note that FM prices for a particular item, on average, are usually spot on for what the item is worth at minimum. (That's what I've found.)
For example, if he is selling a Canon 5D mark III with 25k actuations for $2000 cash and the same item typically sells on FM for $2600, then do some more investigation to find if other items are being sold at drastically reduced prices, prices from which a normal person could never profit. I think you could investigate thoroughly, by doing analysis of his selling trends, to better determine if it is likely legitimate or likely illegal. If it is likely illegal, and you can show the results, e.g. he is selling below 30% of standard *net* used prices, then you could show that to the authorities. I also would presume him innocent, and would try to protect his reputation - by not disclosing it to the authorities, unless absolutely necessary. Maybe he's really good at his job. Maybe not. But, if you want to find out more, I recommend passively researching this guy's business. I'm willing to bet you will learn some good stuff about buying-and-selling in the process. Maybe you will uncover a criminal. Maybe you will find the next best entrepreneur.

That's just my advice. Please, take it with salt. I'm no professional or expert - just a student. I do hope it helps.

Peace and good luck.

Feb 22, 2014 at 08:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Suspected stolen goods

return the camera if you suspect its not "legit"

Feb 24, 2014 at 10:50 PM
juvx
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Suspected stolen goods

I'm obviously against stolen goods being sold, however i'm also against pure speculation... do you have one spec of proof anything shady is going on? I'm sorry but just because an individual has a lot of gear it doesn't show reasonable cause to me. I'm sure even if you contacted the police they'd say the same and do nothing. They have more pressing matters that can actually action on. Most they can do is contact him. Do you think they would actually get a WARRANT to do anything on the info you've provided? Absolutely not.

Feb 24, 2014 at 11:17 PM
kzoockof
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Suspected stolen goods

Contact the police with the serial number of the camera. Ask them point blank, do you show this camera on record as being reported as stolen?

If the police care (doubtful) and bother to check their records (even more doubtful) and don't ever get back to you in the following 2-3 business days (likely), then I would proceed on the basis that it is not stolen and you should have no concerns in purchasing the equipment.

As to a "regular" person buying $20K or more in greatly discounted camera equipment for the purpose of re-selling it at a profit, I don't find that so unusual. I used to do that type of thing with high end audio equipment, buying full systems from people that I knew was worth a lot more as individual components. People do this with cars, camera equipment, antiques, etc. . . all the time, it's how some people actually make a living or supplement their income or retirement.

Who would this person buy this equipment from? A school or university, a shop, a multi shooter photostudio going out of business, a news paper (lot's of them failing lately), a magazine or a camera retail shop or pawn shop.

Mar 06, 2014 at 09:55 PM
       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password