New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · My Monitor or Issue with Chrome

JimKied
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My Monitor or Issue with Chrome

I don't know the best forum to post this but I have seen discussion about computer issues in this forum, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Background - I'm using a Dell Precision Laptop, Windows 7, with Dell U2410 IPS running off a display port connection and a Dell 2209 IPSrunning off a HDMI connection.

In the last week I have notice an issue when using the Google Chrome browser. As expected, when searching and when we start typing in the search word a drop down occurs that gives options of possible searches to make. When that drop down occurs, the drop down field is all washed out - almost looks like what a inkjet printer with little or no ink printed out put would look like. This occurs on both IPS monitors, but when I switch the screen to the laptop monitor (not IPS), I can see everything fine.

Even without the drop down, the page tabs are faded. I have deleted chrome and reinstalled it. I have made sure my video card has current firmware, software, etc. I really cannot narrow down or figure where to look to try to determine what the issue is.

As I mentioned earlier, this was not an issue a week ago. It has recently started happening. It isn't an issue in Internet Explorer. I have not tried any other browsers. I really want to stay with Chrome if I can. Anyone have any clues as to what may be causing the issue? I've attached a snip of the tab issue that I am speaking of.

Thanks!!

Jan 22, 2014 at 01:27 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My Monitor or Issue with Chrome

No idea but I bet it's a Chrome bug slash conflict. So that's it then, Chrome is out of ink.

Jan 22, 2014 at 05:56 PM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My Monitor or Issue with Chrome

More research has gotten some more clues. Apparently this is a known issue with the latest iterriation of Google Chrome when using multiple monitors. Hopefully they are working on it and a patch is on its way.

Jan 23, 2014 at 10:43 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My Monitor or Issue with Chrome

Firefox has been colour-managed for years. I read on FM recently that Chrome is still deficient in that department.

It's ironic when one considers how many skilled photographers used Kodachrome, Fujichrome, and Ektachrome for years; so much that colour transparencies (slides) were known as "chromes".

Jan 23, 2014 at 02:18 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My Monitor or Issue with Chrome

Monito wrote:
Firefox has been colour-managed for years. I read on FM recently that Chrome is still deficient in that department.

It's ironic when one considers how many skilled photographers used Koda, Fuji, and Ekta for years; so much that colour transparencies (slides) were known as "chromes".

Apparently the latest chrome is more or less color-managed now. Based upon something I read on another forum I gave it a try again yesterday and it seemed to handle both regular and wide gamut images, so long as properly tagged, on either regular or wide gamut displays. For some reason it did render all images slightly differently than Firefox or Photoshop though. Also it doesn't handle untagged stuff so when running on a display in wide gamut mode some of the backgrounds and text and untagged images go a bit intense, but all the tagged images are handled.

Jan 23, 2014 at 02:22 PM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My Monitor or Issue with Chrome

Yeah, from what I can tell, Chrome is (more or less) color managed. My primary reason for using it is because it syncs with my android phone. Very convenient. And I don't notice many color issues with it although I have experienced some of that intense over saturated effects before. I hadn't thought that it might be because some folks upload not tagging their shots. That might explain why on my wide gamut monitor most images look spot on but there is the occasional stray that looks way out of whack.

Jan 23, 2014 at 08:43 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My Monitor or Issue with Chrome

How many different colour profiles can Windows 7 and 8 handle at one time for separate monitors ?

Jan 24, 2014 at 09:16 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.