Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

500px Commercial Licensing Marketplace

Mark Capurso

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 500px Commercial Licensing Marketplace

500px contacted me saying they wanted to include one of my images in their new Commercial Licensing Marketplace. I read the agreement and must admit that I can't really tell if it's a good idea or not. It looks like they're starting their own stock photo agency. Has anyone else here been contacted?

Jan 22, 2014 at 03:38 PM
JoshI
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 500px Commercial Licensing Marketplace

I was contacted a few days ago, but haven't had a chance to look over the agreement. I'll take some time this week and look it over, but I'd be interested to hear other's opinions as well.

Josh

Jan 22, 2014 at 03:53 PM
sb in ak
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 500px Commercial Licensing Marketplace

I was invited for a shot I took. I'm a little baffled as well if it's actually a good deal. They're only giving the photographer 30% of sales, which seems a little weak. A post on Reddit indicates that they're actually hand picking these, so it's not just a random email.

They chose an image of mine that's OK, but not my best. I'm probably not going to sell it otherwise, so I'll probably take the bait and see what happens. Probably nothing.

Feb 04, 2014 at 05:42 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 500px Commercial Licensing Marketplace

I also received one. I agreed to it for one of my photos and the reason is that they said that on the low end the photos will sell for "hundreds of dollars" and "thousands" on the high end. I wish they were a little more specific but to me 30% of this is far, far better than any microstock agency and I believe that 500px is a photographer-friendly company. I was already considering selling this particular photo in some way but def. not as microstock. I will evaluate any further requests as they come.

brad

Feb 06, 2014 at 05:29 PM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 500px Commercial Licensing Marketplace

Quick question....where do you have your photos that 500px is finding them...and then making the offer??

Feb 06, 2014 at 06:14 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 500px Commercial Licensing Marketplace

Just up for display on 500px

Feb 06, 2014 at 06:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

colorado_photo

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 500px Commercial Licensing Marketplace

I got the offer too, they asked for 8 of my photos and most are still pending review.

Apr 09, 2014 at 02:36 PM
Peter Urbanski
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 500px Commercial Licensing Marketplace

I also received a request from 500px. I recently read that they are giving the shooter 70%, not 30%.
I shoot architectural images for a part of my living. I went to their ARCHITECTURAL category and I was NOT impressed. Most of the images looked like funky, tourist type HDR shots of exteriors in cities which anyone could shoot and post. I did not see any full-time professionals posting on the category which leads me to believe at this point, pros are not going for the bait. Maybe they are waiting to see if 500px Prime develops into a real stock site for pros. I can't see ad agencies and art directors going to this site until they actually get some full-time pros to buy into this game.

Aug 06, 2014 at 02:49 PM
drobertfranz
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 500px Commercial Licensing Marketplace

I was invited as well and it's my understanding that they will grant lifetime unlimited rights to an image for a pathetic fee of $250 I sure the hell wouldn't market my images with that business model. I would hope most pros would avoid it as well.

Edited on Aug 26, 2014 at 03:17 PM · View previous versions

Aug 25, 2014 at 07:14 PM
Peter Urbanski
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 500px Commercial Licensing Marketplace

I agree with you 100%.

Aug 26, 2014 at 01:32 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 500px Commercial Licensing Marketplace

I deleted all my images from 500px when I saw them going that direction. It'll become a race-to-the-bottom penny stock business model in no time.

Aug 26, 2014 at 05:32 AM
philshoots
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 500px Commercial Licensing Marketplace

Most well known picture agency's will do a 50/50 split on licensing royalties. If you have the horsepower you can negotiate 60/40.

30% to the tog is a raw deal. One most experienced shooters would pass by.

Sep 15, 2014 at 07:55 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password