Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2014 · Just sent in my D600 for "repair" has anyone got a quote on t...

Slabshaft
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Just sent in my D600 for "repair" has anyone got a quote on the dust/oil fix?

I'm curious what the experiences are so far with getting the shutter replaced and a cleaning on their D600s. I'm going to push as much as I can to not have to pay for the fix. If they acknowledge that the problem started prior to the expiration of the warranty period, it seems like they should cover it.

Any word on the turnaround times recently from the California facility? I'm going to push for a 3 week return.

Jan 21, 2014 at 03:30 PM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Just sent in my D600 for "repair" has anyone got a quote on the dust/oil fix?

sure you'll get some replies..guess if you put D600 in the search bar you'll get more though...good luck

Jan 21, 2014 at 03:41 PM
vextopher

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Just sent in my D600 for "repair" has anyone got a quote on the dust/oil fix?

Just received my D600 from the CA facility. Took two weeks from the day they received it to the day I got it back.

When I got the estimate, it was for sensor cleaning and was given Service Repair Rank S. I called and asked if they would replace the shutter as well, but they couldn't give me an answer. I checked the invoice when I received it and saw they also replaced the shutter (along with a firmware upgrade and general cleaning.) I only paid for the sensor cleaning.

I purchased my D600 refurbished in Jan 2013 so it was well out of warranty.

Jan 21, 2014 at 03:46 PM
ARowe

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Just sent in my D600 for "repair" has anyone got a quote on the dust/oil fix?

I had oil spots on my sensor and mostly ignored them since they were only visible at the smallest of apertures. But once I read that they were replacing peoples sensors i figured it was worth a shot. By the time i contacted Nikon I was 4 days outside my warranty. They wanted me to send sample images showing the problem. I did, and they sent prepaid shipping labels. Sent it off late last week and the tracking number says that it was delivered today. Haven't heard from them yet, but I can keep you posted about what happens.

Jan 21, 2014 at 04:08 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Just sent in my D600 for "repair" has anyone got a quote on the dust/oil fix?

I've been told by someone who definitely should know that there is an internal list of SNs that can get new shutters if indicated, others get only cleaning, and there are no exceptions. Of course I asked and was told hell would freeze over, thaw out, and freeze again before even a hint of what SNs are on the list would be released.

Jan 21, 2014 at 05:53 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Just sent in my D600 for "repair" has anyone got a quote on the dust/oil fix?

Free sensor replacement for me, SN 3039***

Maybe if we pitch in some serial numbers, we can figure out the list without hell freezing over and/or Roger catching a pitchfork.

Jan 21, 2014 at 06:01 PM
Slabshaft
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Just sent in my D600 for "repair" has anyone got a quote on the dust/oil fix?

I can live with 2-3 weeks, so that gives me some hope at least. I've only heard of shutter replacements, not sensors. That one is news to me. I just seem to have an issue with oil and particulation. Cleaning takes an entire set of swabs to get the smears off. Very obnoxious and not going away after 30k shots or so. We'll see what happens.

And and to anyone taking the time out of their day to "remind" me of the search function . . . save it.

Jan 21, 2014 at 07:53 PM
LeifG
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Just sent in my D600 for "repair" has anyone got a quote on the dust/oil fix?

RCicala wrote:
I've been told by someone who definitely should know that there is an internal list of SNs that can get new shutters if indicated, others get only cleaning, and there are no exceptions. Of course I asked and was told hell would freeze over, thaw out, and freeze again before even a hint of what SNs are on the list would be released.

That suggests they know when the oil issue was prevalent, and when it cleared up, or at least reduced to background levels. It also suggests late models are fine, which seems to be the case.

Jan 23, 2014 at 08:32 AM
jeffstarkovich

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Just sent in my D600 for "repair" has anyone got a quote on the dust/oil fix?

I sent mine back in December to CA. Got it back a few weeks later and they replaced the shutter mechanism. No questions or hassles.

Jan 24, 2014 at 09:58 PM
ARowe

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Just sent in my D600 for "repair" has anyone got a quote on the dust/oil fix?

Just got shipping notification that they're sending my camera back. Because of the holiday it didn't get there until Tuesday so they've had it for 4 days. Don't know if they replaced the shutter or just cleaned the sensor. Guess I'll see when it gets here next week.

Edit: Is there a way to check through the website what work has been done to the camera, or will there be a list that comes back with the camera?

Jan 25, 2014 at 12:43 AM
vextopher

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Just sent in my D600 for "repair" has anyone got a quote on the dust/oil fix?

ARowe wrote:
Just got shipping notification that they're sending my camera back. Because of the holiday it didn't get there until Tuesday so they've had it for 4 days. Don't know if they replaced the shutter or just cleaned the sensor. Guess I'll see when it gets here next week.

Edit: Is there a way to check through the website what work has been done to the camera, or will there be a list that comes back with the camera?

You'll have to wait and see what the invoice repair sheet says when you get your camera back. The repair status page won't say much.

Jan 25, 2014 at 03:37 PM
ARowe

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Just sent in my D600 for "repair" has anyone got a quote on the dust/oil fix?

thanks.. thought i was missing something

Jan 25, 2014 at 06:43 PM
TFrazior
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Just sent in my D600 for "repair" has anyone got a quote on the dust/oil fix?

I sent mine in 2 times the first time it took 2 1/2 weeks to get in back. the 2nd time I sent it in last week they have contacted me and replacing it with the d610 now. must have been more wrong than just the oil spots.

Jan 26, 2014 at 07:49 PM
ARowe

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Just sent in my D600 for "repair" has anyone got a quote on the dust/oil fix?

Got my d600 back today and the repair slip said that they replaced the shutter mechanism. Haven't had a chance to shoot with it yet, but would have to assume that its clean, at least for now. So it was a week from the time they received the camera to the time that it got back to me. No charge for the cleaning or the shutter replacement even though it was outside of warranty. No complaints here.

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:34 PM
shmn
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Just sent in my D600 for "repair" has anyone got a quote on the dust/oil fix?

ARowe wrote:
Got my d600 back today and the repair slip said that they replaced the shutter mechanism. Haven't had a chance to shoot with it yet, but would have to assume that its clean, at least for now. So it was a week from the time they received the camera to the time that it got back to me. No charge for the cleaning or the shutter replacement even though it was outside of warranty. No complaints here.

Good to hear. From a limited number of recent posts...it almost sounds like Nikon is starting to take care of its customers. Imagine how different things would be for Nikon today if they had handled this problem properly from the start. Build a good product and if there is a problem address it immediately and without question...and the money will take care of itself.

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:11 PM
Slabshaft
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Just sent in my D600 for "repair" has anyone got a quote on the dust/oil fix?

Good to hear these reports. I just authorized the repair today and the ticket just said cleaning, and the total was $54 with shipping. Since I have plans to shoot a bike race next month, I'll inquire about expediting it. It sounds like the turnaround times have been reasonable lately.

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:31 PM
diggedy

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Just sent in my D600 for "repair" has anyone got a quote on the dust/oil fix?

Just sent mine in today for oil spots. I've put up with them as they weren't visible at the apertures I generally shoot at but I've got a few months free before I need it again so thought I'd get it done. I'll post back with how it goes

Jan 31, 2014 at 07:15 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Just sent in my D600 for "repair" has anyone got a quote on the dust/oil fix?

Hopefully they'll send you a D610 as a replacement, instead of trying to fix your D600.

http://nikonrumors.com/2014/01/27/nikon-is-replacing-some-d600-cameras-with-new-d610-models.aspx/

Feb 01, 2014 at 10:39 AM
dpbingham
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Just sent in my D600 for "repair" has anyone got a quote on the dust/oil fix?

Just sent my D600 in today. We'll see how it goes. They estimate 7-10 days. From this thread, it sounds like at a minimum, they will replace the shutter. Best case would be replacing with D610. I have had quite a few oil/dust spots lately, even on apertures as low as f/8.

Feb 03, 2014 at 05:41 PM
Slabshaft
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Just sent in my D600 for "repair" has anyone got a quote on the dust/oil fix?

Got the camera back today. Nice and clean That's about a week and a half turnaround from the day I sent it out too. I think logging in, approving and paying for the repair as soon as I got the repair quote sped up the process. They replaced the shutter, cleaned the sensor, checked the bayonet mount, adjusted the autofocus and updated the firmware. The repair quote was only for cleaning so I'm pretty happy. Here's to hoping it stays relatively spot-free.

As for D610 replacement, I don't think it has much value beyond that "free replacement" feeling. At least for my use, after the shutter replacement it's the same camera.

Feb 03, 2014 at 09:02 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.