Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Trying out the Profoto B1!

mattdoebler

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Trying out the Profoto B1!

Here's my first location shoot with the new Profoto B1. Everything about this light is absolutely amazing. Can't wait to save up for a second one.

Jan 21, 2014 at 12:30 PM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Trying out the Profoto B1!

Nice! May I ask what kind of modifier you're using here? I assume you're taking advantage of TTL?

Jan 21, 2014 at 03:46 PM
mattdoebler

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Trying out the Profoto B1!

Beauty dish for the B1 (key) and another strobe in a softbox behind subject camera right for rim. TTL made this shot so easy to get. Just set up and go. I've tried other strobes before, but Profoto, IMHO, just has that edge.

Jan 21, 2014 at 04:44 PM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Trying out the Profoto B1!

Cool thanks a lot. Yeah, even having TTL just on your main light must be a big help. I can imagine being able to easily move it around to follow your subject as they change poses and all.

Jan 21, 2014 at 05:08 PM
andrew00

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Trying out the Profoto B1!

I'm really impressed with the B1 so far.

I've only done one shoot atm, not allow to share the images yet alas, but the results were superb.

I don't want to sound flippant but I seemed to be getting awesome results without really making much effort to do so.

Jan 21, 2014 at 09:15 PM
mason72

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Trying out the Profoto B1!

Fantastic! Great shot. A lot of photogs I know scoff at the TTL, and maybe I'm just lazy, but I think it sounds awesome.

Apr 02, 2014 at 12:57 PM
lilshortwun

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Trying out the Profoto B1!

Looks great!

Apr 02, 2014 at 01:42 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Trying out the Profoto B1!

what makes it better than say an einstein?

Apr 21, 2014 at 08:24 PM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Trying out the Profoto B1!

I haven't used one, we have the D1's in work but I would say: TTL, built in battery system, profoto mount and well I've never used an Einstein, my personal lights are AB800's, however the build and quality is a whole world apart. The ones in our main repro studio have half a million almost full power shots in under two years on them and not a single malfunction, misfire or problem. My Alien Bees cannot begin to say the same thing. Perhaps the Einstein is better but it still has the Balcar mount and I assume the same cheap shoddy build in comparison to Profoto. I've had to take my AB's apart multiple times due to malfunctions and living in the UK, just the cheap screws and solder inside is exactly what you would expect for the price. I'll leave quality of light comparison for those who have an Einstein. I can only compare to the AB's and it's not pretty. Not being nasty to the AB's, I used them for 8 years of wedding work. Just saying that the Profoto advantage isn't just the price.

Apr 22, 2014 at 09:19 AM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Trying out the Profoto B1!

what makes it better than say an einstein?

For location shooting the B1 is very convenient. It's cordless, so moving it around to different setups is quicker and easier – and it offers TTL, which also saves a bit of time. If you've ever worked on location, you know that you're always working against time and being able to have an assistant hand-hold a light and walk around the subject your shooting is a wonderful thing.

Apr 22, 2014 at 09:25 AM
Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Trying out the Profoto B1!

If you have been shooting manual for any amount of time, TTL isn't that big a deal. Does it help, yes, but not critical. Einstein's are portable if you consider using the Vagabond Mini. It isn't heavy and has a strap that enables it to hang on your shoulder. Plug the Einstein in and you're portable for $750.
Deezie wrote:
For location shooting the B1 is very convenient. It's cordless, so moving it around to different setups is quicker and easier – and it offers TTL, which also saves a bit of time. If you've ever worked on location, you know that you're always working against time and being able to have an assistant hand-hold a light and walk around the subject your shooting is a wonderful thing.

Apr 22, 2014 at 09:42 AM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Trying out the Profoto B1!

If you're already invested in Profoto, then this is especially the best solution. All your speed rings and modifiers already fit. Additionally, it is a big deal not to be tethered to a cord, and to have an assistant handhold the B1 and run around far and close. No need need for cords, stands and battery packs. Makes a big difference in terms of quick setups and acting on your impulses.

Apr 22, 2014 at 08:42 PM
hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Trying out the Profoto B1!

Build quality, modifiers and reliability aside, the B1 includes features that are not available in any other strobe: TTL, cordless (no pack/no cords), built-in receiver and HSS (coming this year). Whether these features matter to you or not is not the point, it's a game changer for many people. To me, being cordless is alone worth it. TTL is also a game changer for non-studio applications and sports, and of course HSS would be the icing on the cake.

If you shoot exclusively in the studio then I understand that there are many better or more affordable options especially that TTL is not preferable in the studio. However, for on location applications the B1 is a game changer, at least for me

Apr 23, 2014 at 01:08 AM
strohscw
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Trying out the Profoto B1!

Absolutely agreed! It is also a game changer for me. I have two of them and I wished I had more, but theses are opening a complete new field for me! I absolutely love them!

Apr 23, 2014 at 03:27 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Trying out the Profoto B1!

Deezie wrote:

That's exactly what we do with the einstein and the VML. I don't use TTL so i'm not seeing how this is a significant time savings.

Apr 25, 2014 at 09:29 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Trying out the Profoto B1!

Herb wrote:
If you have been shooting manual for any amount of time, TTL isn't that big a deal. Does it help, yes, but not critical. Einstein's are portable if you consider using the Vagabond Mini. It isn't heavy and has a strap that enables it to hang on your shoulder. Plug the Einstein in and you're portable for $750.

Right. I know the profoto is a great system but I think when folks start trying to quantify why it's better they usually lose me. I'm sure it's better constructed than buff but I've subjected my Einsteins to some pretty hard usage and never had any issues with them. Now if you were talking elinchrom, I might agree because they seem prone to all kinds of malfunctions and melt-down.

Apr 25, 2014 at 09:31 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.