New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · 17TSE flare test

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 17TSE flare test

in the lens tests 16/17 post the subject of flare for the 17TSE was discussed. It was mentioned that the bulbous from element collects side light more readily than flatter lenses with hoods, but that the lens was a good at reducing the effect of flare in shots into the sun. I did a test to show what it can do.

I did not bother to level the camera so ignore the crooked garage door. I did not tilt, so the front block is also out of DOF. It was focused at the right side about mid way into the scene, note how deep the dof is even at f8.

I used the finger over the sun trick (actually a stick) to get two exposures, one for the sun and one for the rest. I blended the two. I am showing both shots and the final blend. I had one small flare to clone.

exposed for the sun

exposed for the non sun portion

blended shot.

Jan 21, 2014 at 12:01 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 17TSE flare test

The flare I get when using the TS-E 17mm happens when the sun in not in the frame. I'm almost certain to get flare when the light is coming from either of the sides.
However, It's easy to avoid it from showing up in your image by blocking it with your hand or a piece of cardboard.
Fred

Jan 21, 2014 at 01:19 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 17TSE flare test

Fred Miranda wrote:
The flare I get when using the TS-E 17mm happens when the sun in not in the frame. I'm almost certain to get flare when the light is coming from either of the sides.
However, It's easy to avoid it from showing up in your image by blocking it with your hand or a piece of cardboard.
Fred

It is once seen. Sometimes it's just a little spot and I don't see it. So I am always careful now to look for it.

Jan 21, 2014 at 01:55 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 17TSE flare test

Flare Buster works pretty well if you don't mind carrying it. Nice for longer exposures so you don't have to stand there shielding the lens: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/150805-REG/Granview_FB97XL_15_Flare_Buster_Arm.html

Jan 21, 2014 at 05:24 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.