Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

douglasf13
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

rscheffler wrote:
I would expect the current Pentax 645 to drop to ~$5000 as an entry level option and the CMOS version to take the $9999 price point.

Maybe a direction for MF to differentiate from the encroachment of 35mm FF is sensor sizes at the native film sizes? I guess a problem is whether such sizes are economically viable. Another problem is whether film-era lenses will perform well with such sensors. It will also be a problem with the current lines of digital-optimized lenses covering smaller image circles...

Looking at the history of photography, the trend has always been size/format reduction. Maybe MF
...Show more

Phase One already has sensors that are nearly 645 sized, but 56x56, 6x7, etc. would be interesting...and likely a fortune!

Jan 24, 2014 at 07:48 PM
sflxn
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #2 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Yes, agree it will likely take a Ricoh/ Pntax or Sony to bring the price down. The Architectural, landscape catalog/ fashion and serious portrait groups though are extremely sensitive to IQ (and not just resolution but the look/quality one can get from MF). If the price was close enough, I don't think many in this group would opt for the 54MP 35 FF option over the 50MP MF option (if the rest of the equation was close enough - ie the mythical Pentax 645D II specs). I do believe there are enough users out there who would jump at
...Show more

Does Pentax have a solution for tilt and shift? If they do, then I might agree. I would want to get digital medium format quality again at a smaller size and weight. Even if Pentax brings out the mark 2 with this sensor, I will probably not bite. Linear resolution increase is not that great over the A7 R, but the inconvenience increase is quite a burden. I'm sure there are people out there willing to buy it. I would have a very high interest in an Rx1M or M7R.

Jan 24, 2014 at 08:23 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.5 #3 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

Oh man, give me a GF670D with the "cheapie" 33x44 sensor and I'd be all over it. Heck, I guess I'd be all over something like that, even if it had a 24x36 sensor. Where are the digital, fixed lens, folders??

Jan 24, 2014 at 08:29 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.5 #4 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

sflxn wrote:
Does Pentax have a solution for tilt and shift? If they do, then I might agree.

There are solutions out there, such as this Hartblei 45mm Tilt Shift:
http://www.hartblei.com/lenses/lens_45mm.htm

Review here:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/hartblei45.shtml

Jan 24, 2014 at 08:38 PM
sflxn
• • •
p.5 #5 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

douglasf13 wrote:
Oh man, give me a GF670D with the "cheapie" 33x44 sensor and I'd be all over it. Heck, I guess I'd be all over something like that, even if it had a 24x36 sensor. Where are the digital, fixed lens, folders??

I agree, there is a market for a fixed lens compact medium format camera. No need for a new lens system. Lightweight simplicity for those who just enjoy the medium format look. Does any company have the balls to create such an awesome beast? Sony and Fuji would be the ones to make this dream come true. Come on, Sony, do it.

Jan 24, 2014 at 09:14 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.5 #6 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

I had this lens. Nice rendering, but you need to stop it down for best performance. I am not sure that it would be good on 40MP sensors, mine was 22MP.

Jan 24, 2014 at 09:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.5 #7 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

sflxn wrote:
I agree, there is a market for a fixed lens compact medium format camera. No need for a new lens system. Lightweight simplicity for those who just enjoy the medium format look. Does any company have the balls to create such an awesome beast? Sony and Fuji would be the ones to make this dream come true. Come on, Sony, do it.

What would you be willing to pay for it out of curiosity? I would love such a camera but I suspect I would have a hard time forking out 5-6K plus for a fixed lens, MF digital camera.

Jan 24, 2014 at 09:41 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.5 #8 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

Tariq Gibran wrote:
What would you be willing to pay for it out of curiosity? I would love such a camera but I suspect I would have a hard time forking out 5-6K plus for a fixed lens, MF digital camera.

Considering Pentax 645D sells for $7k in the USA today, I would suspect a fixed lens medium format camera with older CCD sensor would cost even more considering the new 50MP CMOS IQ250 back goes for $34.5k. I don't see a market for this type of fixed lens MF digital camera. I guess some of us have to keep shooting our vintage Fuji G6xx or Mamiya 6/7s for now.

Jan 24, 2014 at 09:56 PM
sflxn
• • •
p.5 #9 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

Tariq Gibran wrote:

Yes, in a heart beat... well, it will depends on the IQ from it. I would pay $5k for an oversized RX1 with this sensor. That is actually cheap, considering the quality that I would get. Many people are willing to pay $3-10k just for a Leica lens, but that expensive lens and an M camera can never match what you can get with digital medium format. $5k for camera with a perfectly matched Zeiss lens? I might not touch any of my other cameras if I had this mythical camera. I'm actually fine with just a single fixed lens. When I shot with Hasselblad, I mainly shot with an 80mm lens. I had other lenses, but 95% of my shooting was with the 80mm. I could live with a fixed normal lens. I would guess it would be around a 60-70mm for this sensor. Make it f/2.8. It would not be super compact, but maybe they can get it down to size since it would be perfectly matched to the sensor with no mirrorbox.

I want to further add caveats to the IQ dependency. If the images look like what comes out of CCD medium format cameras, then yes. If it looks like what I'm getting from my A7R, then I'll just wait for the 54mp FF A7R. It's all about the look of the image. I'm curious to see how this sensor performs. In the interview video on LuLa's site, Phase One claims they can match the CCD look.

Jan 24, 2014 at 09:58 PM
Mikael Risedal
• •
p.5 #10 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

sflxn wrote:
I'm not sure Sony would ever have the financial incentive to make such a square sensor. These new sensors are probably just 2 FF sensors bonded together. For me, this would be fine. If it means an RX1M with a Zeiss 80mm lens can be made cheaper and smaller, I am willing to accept the sacrifice.

I don't think Hassy and Phase would complain about a sensor that is 2 FF sensors bonded together. Sony FF Sensors, Zeiss Otus, and global shutters are all conspiring to take away almost any advantages that medium format cameras currently have. within 5 years, we'll
...Show more

make a square sensor?
They can stitch several 18x26mm sensors areas to what form they want, no one today can make a whole 24x36mm sensor in one piece with out stitch two together.
All is about costs regarding larger sensors than 24x36mm, and its not cheap

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:08 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.5 #11 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

Mikael Risedal wrote:
make a square sensor?
They can stitch several 18x26mm sensors areas to what form they want, no one today can make a whole 24x36mm sensor in one piece with out stitch two together.
All is about costs regarding larger sensors than 24x36mm, and its not cheap

I think they can go up to 33x52 by only stitching two sensors together, which is why I wonder if 33x44 would be all that much more than 24x36. They'd have to stitch two sensors, either way.

Jan 24, 2014 at 11:42 PM
senna4ever
• • •
p.5 #12 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

Bloody hell. I just took delivery of a new H5D-50 last month! This new sensor looks interesting, but the 1.3x crop is a bit of a bummer.

Jan 25, 2014 at 07:08 AM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password