FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Archive 2014 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

McGrattan wrote:
In future news, Sony introduces the R1XL 80mm fixed lens Medium format camera. Release date early 3rd quarter 2015.

38mm. a modern swc did you say? I'd bet it sell.

Jan 21, 2014 at 05:14 PM
sflxn
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

McGrattan wrote:
In future news, Sony introduces the R1XL 80mm fixed lens Medium format camera. Release date early 3rd quarter 2015.

Me like very much! Please, Sony, make it happen! Make it look like one of the Fuji medium format P&S.

I might have misspoken about CMOS Sensor in medium format before. Maybe it was a CCD with micro lens.

Jan 21, 2014 at 05:15 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

sflxn wrote:
I'm glad Hassy has found a new sensor provider, but their trouble are not over. It will be a long slog to get back on top. They need to invest more into software in the backs, and I would like to see them one day get rid of the mirror when gobal shutter becomes a reality. Can't wait to learn the specs of this sensor. I also wonder if it will suffer from color cast problems that past medium format CMOS sensors had.

Wait I just had a thought. Pentax also uses Sony sensors. Hmm...

Pentax, Fuji, Olympus, Nikon... did I miss any one?

Jan 21, 2014 at 05:32 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

Ricoh GXR?

Jan 21, 2014 at 06:11 PM
john_edwards
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

The good news for us lessor mortals is that Hassy is funding the R&D for tech we may see down the road. Reminds me of the Nikon D800 funding the 36mp sensor for the A7(r).
John

Jan 21, 2014 at 09:32 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

molson wrote:

En Français, "Ca.. non"...

Jan 21, 2014 at 09:42 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

Hmmm....should I put in a pool and buy a new car or buy this camera.....decisions

Jan 21, 2014 at 10:33 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

molson wrote:

Panasonic as well, most likely. It's thought that the GH3 sensor is the E-M5 sensor (and thus Sony), but only as an interim measure until Panny got its second-generation 16MP sensor out the door.

Also Leica uses Sony sensors in their APS-C fixed-lens compacts. And of course Epson also has, but IIRC the R-D1x is finally truly discontinued. Samsung also used Sony sensors in the past (in their Pentax-clone DSLR's) but uses their own production in the NX line.

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:14 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

Michaelparris wrote:
Hmmm....should I put in a pool and buy a new car or buy this camera.....decisions

Buy a pool.

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:17 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

jcolwell wrote:
Buy a pool.

Actually already have one. That was the first thing that came to mind

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:06 AM
sflxn
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

What is the point of naming every mfg who uses Sony sensors? Just about everyone uses a Sony senmakes the sensor inside the 645D. Both Pentax and Leica must be shopping around for a new sensor suppliersor in something. I only mentioned Pentax because they are a prime candidate to use this chip and make a more affordable MFD system. I don't believe Nikon, Canon, Olympus, HTC, Panasonic, LG, Apple, Go Pro, Dell, HP, Lenovo (get the idea?), etc are all going to go rushing to make a medium format camera with this sensor.

I wonder if Pentax is already working with Sony since they are in the same boat as Hassy. Kodak no longer makes the sensor inside the 645D. Both Pentax and Leica must be shopping around for a new sensor supplier.

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:38 AM
Matt Grum
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

Lee Saxon wrote:
personally, I'd start from scratch and design a ~25mp back with MASSIVE pixels that could see in the dark, but I'll take what I can get.

Massive pixels, but with only f/2.8 and f/4 lenses available the ability to "see in the dark" wont be any better than a 35mm DSLR with smaller pixels and f/1.4 glass.

Jan 22, 2014 at 07:14 AM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

I am not a huge hassy fan never have been. I bet this will be more expensive than the Leica S2 which means for normal people it won't be an option until 5-10yrs after its release and it's basically obsolete.

only hassies I liked are the 500c and SWC
Makes me laugh a little when I got into an argument with a guy at my local camera shop when I stated Sony makes the best sensors. He argued that nikon developed the D800/d600 sensors by themselves. Canon needs to either set up their sensors or look to sony for new sensor technology they're behind.

Jan 22, 2014 at 07:51 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

Dpedraza wrote:
I bet this will be more expensive than the Leica S2 which means for normal people it won't be an option until 5-10yrs after its release and it's basically obsolete.

I don't think Sony would bother making this sensor unless it had more expected customers than just Hasselblad. My bet is this sensor will show up in other cameras, possibly those costing under 10K such as the Pentax 645, sooner than later.

Jan 22, 2014 at 08:13 AM
j.liam
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

I recall reading that one of the weaknesses of the Pentax 645d was a paucity of world-class lenses up to the demands of its digital sensor. Do you all think they have the financials to refresh that line?

There was all this chatter years back about a Nikon MF: given the cost of developing such a sensor, one wonders whether this rumor might now come true. Add the # of potential buyers of Hasselblad to Pentax and there still aren't enough units sold to float the cost of such a sensor.

UPDATE

Looks like that sensor is going into a new Phase One.

Jan 22, 2014 at 08:36 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

j.liam wrote:
I recall reading that one of the weaknesses of the Pentax 645d was a paucity of world-class lenses up to the demands of its digital sensor. Do you all think they have the financials to refresh that line?

Since Pentax has become a brand of Ricoh, $$ should not be an issue should Ricoh decide to invest further in the 645D.

The 645 Pentax lenses are slowly being refreshed. These include the 25, 55 and 90 Macro, all of which are listed as Weather and Dust resistant and all considered exceptional - though expensive. There are quite a number of the older Pentax 645 lenses that are also highly regarded.

Jan 22, 2014 at 09:47 AM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

Needs to be able to use Leica S lenses.

Jan 22, 2014 at 10:13 AM
Fast6
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

A sensor like this stuck behind a technical camera or even a pancake camera will be an absolute monster!

Jan 22, 2014 at 10:53 AM
Qwerty64
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

Too little too late, sounds like Blackberry.

Jan 22, 2014 at 11:12 AM
j.liam
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

Like Volvo, after these latest venture capital geniuses lay waste to it, will likely be scooped up by some Red Chinese manufacturing concern for the name, sensor & software technology.

Jan 22, 2014 at 11:55 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.