Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor
Hasselblad is set to launch the world's first 50MP medium format camera using CMOS sensor technology. The groundbreaking H5D-50c will go on sale in March.
Ove Bengtson, Hasselblad Product Manager said: "This pioneering 50 megapixel CMOS sensor camera is based on our H5D-50 model but will offer a faster capture rate; longer shutter speed capability and much greater ISO performance. It will provide greatly improved Live Video in Phocus and will also be available with Multi-Shot functionality."

He added: "We believe this will provide a highly compelling option for professional photographers who prefer a more versatile camera that enables them to immediately embrace a wider range of photo-disciplines but still encapsulating the exceptionally high-end image quality associated with Hasselblad."

Hasselblad's new CEO Ian Rawcliffe said: "We are extremely excited about this highly adaptable new camera which will offer an even broader palette of shooting options for our high-end customers.

"This is a world-first and underpins Hasselblad's status at the forefront of camera technology. It will be the first of a number of medium format capture innovations we have planned for the coming months."

Further information and prices for the new H5D-50c models will be announced in March.

Jan 22, 2014 at 03:05 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

Wow! Maybe Hasselblad will redeem itself after all. If you have to ask the price...you know the rest. This will shake up the MF market with both it's video and high ISO capability.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/hasselblad-to-launch-50-megapixel-sony-cmos-sensor-based-medium-format-camera/

Jan 21, 2014 at 03:20 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

This is gonna get really interesting!

Jan 21, 2014 at 03:23 PM
Bijltje
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Wow! Maybe Hasselblad will redeem itself after all. If you have to ask the price...you know the rest. This will shake up the MF market with both it's video and high ISO capability.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/hasselblad-to-launch-50-megapixel-sony-cmos-sensor-based-medium-format-camera/

Moah, I think its a great addition, but doubt it will shake up the MF market. High ISO and video isn't really something I would combine with MF.

Jan 21, 2014 at 03:57 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

Bijltje wrote:
Moah, I think its a great addition, but doubt it will shake up the MF market. High ISO and video isn't really something I would combine with MF.

It's the better Live View compared to what's possible with a CCD based sensor that will make a practical difference. Regular video may not be part of the feature set. With a huge MF sensor based on current Sony technology (large sensels compared to FF 35), there may be very little loss of IQ up to say ISO 800 or even 1600. I do think that will matter to some, particularly if there are no drawbacks to having the added capability.

Jan 21, 2014 at 04:40 PM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

Tariq Gibran wrote:

They're talking about "Live Video" in their Phocus software, which sounds to me like it's just a live view feed when the camera is tethered (unless "Phocus" runs on the camera, which seems unlikely to me). If it could really record video that would be awesome, but the processor (in the back or camera?) would need to be powerful enough and reducing 50MP to a clean 1080p (without a lot of aliasing/moiré) would be a challenge.
Edit: posted this before I saw your last comment.

Jan 21, 2014 at 04:45 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

Sounds pretty cool but it will likely be out of my price range....

Jan 21, 2014 at 04:48 PM
carlitos
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

50Mp in a 60x60mm chip?

Jan 21, 2014 at 05:02 PM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

Probably more like this;

Camera Type: H5D-60
Sensor Size: 60 Mpixels (8956 x 6708)
Sensor Dimensions: 53.7 x 40.2mm

Jan 21, 2014 at 05:14 PM
Makten
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

mcbroomf wrote:
Sensor Dimensions: 53.7 x 40.2mm

That's almost FF 645 (56x41.5 mm).

Jan 21, 2014 at 06:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sflxn
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

I'm glad Hassy has found a new sensor provider, but their trouble are not over. It will be a long slog to get back on top. They need to invest more into software in the backs, and I would like to see them one day get rid of the mirror when gobal shutter becomes a reality. Can't wait to learn the specs of this sensor. I also wonder if it will suffer from color cast problems that past medium format CMOS sensors had.

Wait I just had a thought. Pentax also uses Sony sensors. Hmm...

Jan 21, 2014 at 06:56 PM
EOS20
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

Hasselblad also replaced their CEO (The one that was responsible for the Lunar and Stellar) which also looks like the end of those two lines of cameras.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/01/21/hasselblad-replaces-ceo-announces-50mp-cmos-medium-format-camera?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_0

Jan 21, 2014 at 07:23 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

sflxn wrote:
I'm glad Hassy has found a new sensor provider, but their trouble are not over. It will be a long slog to get back on top. They need to invest more into software in the backs, and I would like to see them one day get rid of the mirror when gobal shutter becomes a reality. Can't wait to learn the specs of this sensor. I also wonder if it will suffer from color cast problems that past medium format CMOS sensors had.

Wait I just had a thought. Pentax also uses Sony sensors. Hmm...

Exactly. Ricoh/Pentax and Nikon! I think the huge implication with this CMOS development is that it opens up MF to many of the advantages enjoyed by smaller format systems - better Live View and the potential for better high ISO IQ, EVF finders and even video. Hasselblad may or may not be the one that ends up taking full advantage of CMOS MF sensors as I expect these will find their way into other systems this year. For instance, Ricoh delayed the Pentax 645D and speculation is that they did so because they wanted to add much more capability to that system than just a sensor upgrade. Now, with this sensor, they could potentially offer an EVF based modular Pentax 645D system. There has also been long time speculation that Canon and Nikon may enter the MF fray as well. With a CMOS sensor now available, this would at least complete part of that puzzle (for Nikon at least. Canon would almost certainly use their own sensor). Anyway, I suspect this development will breath some new life into MF and will likely herald the beginning of the end for CCD MF based systems.

Jan 21, 2014 at 07:36 PM
Lee Saxon
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

FINALLY.

This market has always astonished me. These backs have been AWFUL products not coming within MILES of the potential of such a huge pixel size.

Red, whose product is as expensive and almost as limited-market as medium format backs, has managed to engineer drastically better hardware and INDESCRIBABLY better software basically from scratch.

Meanwhile, lets be honest, digital back makers have bought any off-the-shelf sensor, no matter how antiquated, to keep from spending a dime on R&D. So we get giant sensors with giant pixels that somehow only range from ISO50 to ISO64 or something. It's nonsense.

The crazy thing is, Red only had to spend all that money because they needed a much faster read-reset than typical off-the-shelf sensors. A digital back maker wouldn't have needed a whole new pixel or ADC design. All Sony had to do here was design a new package with MORE of an exiting pixel from - say, the one from the D4 sensor - and I'd been willing to bet that's all they HAVE done. I mean, personally, I'd start from scratch and design a ~25mp back with MASSIVE pixels that could see in the dark, but I'll take what I can get.

Jan 21, 2014 at 07:41 PM
sflxn
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

Actually, ITariq Gibran wrote:
Exactly. Ricoh/Pentax and Nikon! I think the huge implication with this CMOS development is that it opens up MF to many of the advantages enjoyed by smaller format systems - better Live View and the potential for better high ISO IQ, EVF finders and even video. Hasselblad may or may not be the one that ends up taking full advantage of CMOS MF sensors as I expect these will find their way into other systems this year. For instance, Ricoh delayed the Pentax 645D and speculation is that they did so because they wanted to add much more
...Show more

It really depends. CMOS were used in past MFD cameras. There was a problem with the microlenses causing color cast in wide angle lenses. I don't think they would make the same mistake, but if they can't get the micro lenses to work well with wide angle lenses, they may have to leave it out. These sensors may not perform as well as their 35Mm counterpart. I still think it's significant, mainly for the fact that the best sensor maker is now making medium format sensors. Phase One still has the software advantage.

Jan 21, 2014 at 07:58 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

Lee Saxon wrote:
All Sony had to do here was design a new package with MORE of an exiting pixel from - say, the one from the D4 sensor - and I'd been willing to bet that's all they HAVE done. I mean, personally, I'd start from scratch and design a ~25mp back with MASSIVE pixels that could see in the dark, but I'll take what I can get.

I don't believe Sony makes the D4 sensor - or at least it's not a Sony design like many of the other Nikon sensors.

Jan 21, 2014 at 08:01 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

Tariq Gibran wrote:
This will shake up the MF market with both it's video and high ISO capability.

holy equivalence!

Jan 21, 2014 at 08:03 PM
McGrattan
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

In future news, Sony introduces the R1XL 80mm fixed lens Medium format camera. Release date early 3rd quarter 2015.

Jan 21, 2014 at 08:30 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

'it opens up MF to many of the advantages enjoyed by smaller format systems - better Live View and the potential for better high ISO IQ, EVF finders and even video.'

Well, some smaller format systems anyway. They picked the right partner as did Zeiss, and it seems from a straw poll of this thread, look to have redeemed themselves somewhat. How derision can turn to enthusiasm simply on the back of an announcement!

Nikon DF is the only non-Sony sensor camera to make it into DxO's top ten - low down in the rankings at #10 - it's also the lowest resolution sensor in that list. D4 is number 11.

Jan 21, 2014 at 08:37 PM
JimUe
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Hasselblad to launch 50MP MF camera using CMOS sensor

hope it has full medium format and on-sensor PDAF+IBIS, and 4K video.

Jan 21, 2014 at 08:51 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password