FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Windy Nebraska Sunset

m_deboer
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Windy Nebraska Sunset

It has been unusually windy in Nebraska lately, and tonight was no exception.

Despite the wind I decided to go out for a quick shot as the clouds looked promising, I figured "I could take it..." By the time I walked to this hill I was already worn out from fighting the wind, and after about 5 minutes of shooting it actually knocked me over! I have to guess that gust of wind was 60+ mph, and while I knew the colors were only going to get better my common sense kicked in and I had to leave.

Jan 21, 2014 at 12:08 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Windy Nebraska Sunset

I really like the look of this, you have some really sweet colors in this. But... the WA distortion is pretty distracting. I would straight the tree and the silo and you will have a really sweet shot.

Jim

Jan 21, 2014 at 01:09 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Windy Nebraska Sunset

I always felt that there would be a lot of cool stuff to shoot in Nebraska, and also eastern Colorado. Great light here!

I agree that the distortion is pretty severe. It's one of those things to be careful of when composing.

Jan 21, 2014 at 05:23 AM
John Zeman
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Windy Nebraska Sunset

Nice colors! Is it WA distortion or do the tree and grain bin actually lean towards each other like that? Living here in Iowa I see old barns and bins leaning every which way on old abandoned farms.

Jan 21, 2014 at 10:10 AM
m_deboer
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Windy Nebraska Sunset

Thank you all for the comments!

The composition of this happened very fast as the wind drove me away quickly, but the reason the the low-angle-looking-up position was due to houses that are just over the hill. They would have been in view had I raised my camera any more, so my preference went to hiding them. Had I spent more time I probably would have pulled out the 24mm PC-E and kept the same camera position but with corrected verticals.

Jan 21, 2014 at 02:54 PM
kellyakinsart
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Windy Nebraska Sunset

It's real easy to fix the WA distortion in Photoshop:
Select All; Edit; Tranform; Skew; grab each upper corner and pull them out until objects are vertical.

Kelly

Jan 21, 2014 at 05:09 PM
Mickey
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Windy Nebraska Sunset

Looks like perspective distortion to me. Maybe had the camera tilted too far back?
Love the colors!

Jan 21, 2014 at 05:23 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.