Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · offset tripod head for stitch panoramas?

ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · offset tripod head for stitch panoramas?

Nodal point schmodal point. Is this offset tripod head useable for stitching with the camera in the vertical orientation?

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:48 PM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · offset tripod head for stitch panoramas?

No, you need some way to position the center of the lens over the center of your rotating head. Depending on you lens you might be able to get by with a "cradle type" usually used with circular fisheye lenses. Using a lens like the Nikor 10.5 mm you need to be able to adjust the lens left & right as well as foward and back. Nodal Ninja heads are a good starting point.

Jan 21, 2014 at 07:13 PM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · offset tripod head for stitch panoramas?

Also you should have a leveling base between your legs and head. I prefer the ones that are like a ball/socket vs the ones with 3 adjustment screws. Much faster to use.

Jan 21, 2014 at 07:20 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · offset tripod head for stitch panoramas?

ken.vs.ryu wrote:
Nodal point schmodal point. Is this offset tripod head useable for stitching with the camera in the vertical orientation?

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz65/imsl-imaging/Gitzo-1.jpg

first line says it all.

Jan 23, 2014 at 08:36 AM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · offset tripod head for stitch panoramas?

Yea its usable, but your results will probably not be very good. Dont try to get anything in the foreground or you will have a lot of ghosting once stitched.

You would probably get better results hand holding and trying to rotate and tilt around the camera (fake nodal head) than using this head

Jan 23, 2014 at 12:44 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · offset tripod head for stitch panoramas?

It all depends on how close the nearest foreground subject is, and how much parallax (vs. the background) the tilting generates. A few inches of lateral motion won't hurt a thing if there is nothing close by in the frame.

Feb 02, 2014 at 01:43 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · offset tripod head for stitch panoramas?

It is unlikely that it will be correct for a DSLR as the offset distance is short. You need an adjustable slide. The vertical or horizontal orientation should make no difference assuming you are using an L bracket. A vertical (portrait) pan without an L bracket will be way off center.

EBH

Feb 02, 2014 at 02:33 PM
mhayes5254
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · offset tripod head for stitch panoramas?

Generally nothing special is needed. I have a Nodal Ninja and no longer bother to carry it (although occasionally I wish I had). As mentioned above, it only matters if you have close foreground elements. You could go without unless you find you are shooting things where it matters. Usually hand held or a standard tripod with a rotating base is fine, depending on shutter speed as usual.

Feb 12, 2014 at 10:29 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · offset tripod head for stitch panoramas?

If he uses a lens with a foot plate, could he not slide it back and forth to get the offset needed figuring that the plate is long enough?

Feb 13, 2014 at 07:02 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · offset tripod head for stitch panoramas?

Best solution is a ball head with an Arca-Swiss type clamp into which you insert a nodal slide device that allows the lens and camera to be placed so as to avoid parallax deviation in successive shots.

With distant objects you can get away without the nodal slide but with foreground objects it will be apparent in the stitched picture.

Feb 20, 2014 at 04:03 PM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · offset tripod head for stitch panoramas?

I had that head and found the vertical rotation and tension to be quite sticky, not all all conducive to shooting for pano-stitching. Got rid of it very quickly.
Mike K

Feb 21, 2014 at 01:02 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.