Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · HS Girls Basketball

BillP57
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · HS Girls Basketball

I haven't posted in a while, because I haven't had many breaks in my schedule. I just bought AB800 strobes and these are from my second game learning to use them. The shots are definitely better than the shots I have been taking at ISO 8000, but I'm still getting use to the idea of flashing sports. One strobe was firing direct and one was bounced off a white secondary basketball backboard. C&C appreciated.

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:19 PM
karrphoto

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · HS Girls Basketball

The only thing I can say is the WB seems different in #5, a little too much magenta. Are they all balanced the same??

Jan 21, 2014 at 02:55 AM
RubenL
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · HS Girls Basketball

I do not like the use of flash during sport games. I think in Belgium they do not allow them annymore on the short sides of the pitches. But we also have a player in the local team who has what is called here nightblindness, what means her addaptation to dark area's is not working well, she claims after a flash is fired she need several seconds to see 100%. Even if she is not looking right in to the flash. most off the other players (but not all) claim to not even notice the flashes during the game. I know your pictures will have less noise. but on first place i still think comes the athlete. from your own team you know if the players will have problems with flashes, but how can you know if the oppenent have?

greetings

Jan 21, 2014 at 06:37 AM
BillP57
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · HS Girls Basketball

karrphoto, In #5 her skin does redden with exertion, but you may be right about too much magenta.

RubenL, I understand your feelings about flash and I have fought using a flash for a long time, but when the service you post with says you need to strobe to have images accepted you give in. The strobe are well off the court and mounted 13 ft. high and I try to adjust them to minimal settings required. Nobody has said anything about the flashes and watching the players I have seen no noticeable reaction to them. I would hope that a player would tell their coach if they have a problem and I know that coaches have no problem complaining about any little thing that effects their team.

Bill

Jan 21, 2014 at 09:10 AM
Aqualung
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · HS Girls Basketball

liking #4 the best Bill...it's always interesting that when my daughters played, and there were yearbook/MaxPreps photogs there who flashed, I asked them if they ever noticed...'No' was their response. In fact they said they really didn't see me on the baseline, sans flash, they're so into the game.

Chris

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:53 AM
BillP57
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · HS Girls Basketball

Thanks Chris, I work with a parent and he told me he didn't notice the flash when he was watching the game. I have been to games where photographers had on camera flashes and I would even consider doing that. I try to be as considerate of the players as I can and still conform to the requirements I have to meet. If I get any complaints I'll stop until I can find a better way. The AD, the coach and several parents know me and talk to me at the games and I'm sure they would say something if there was an issue.

Bill

Jan 21, 2014 at 01:28 PM
Ed Peters
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · HS Girls Basketball

I have yet to hear a player say that a flash affected their play, most don't notice them at all. The nightblindness story from Belgium is something I have never heard before; I would assume that the team's coach would make sure that his/her player would not be subject to flashes.

Jan 22, 2014 at 01:48 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · HS Girls Basketball

I like the action and expression in #5 but agree that the WB or color is off. #30 looks like she really jumps. Many of the girls' teams I cover just don't get in the air much.

As for flash, the league I cover bans flash indoors. "Interferes with the player's ability to perform" is the given reason. I was allowed this fall as an experiment for the first time to shoot football with a flash. Not a single complaint so I think I'll be be able to keep using it outside. The venues here are small, rough, and badly lit. I don't think there will be any compromising on indoor sports though I bring it up ever so often.

Robert

Jan 22, 2014 at 09:22 PM
BillP57
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · HS Girls Basketball

I'm still not completely comfortable flashing sports, but I have watched for any player reaction when I fire them during pregame practice and I don't see any indication that they know it was fired. It does make you work on your timing as you only have a single shot.

Here is a revision of #5, is this better? I'm beginning to think I have a slight magenta colorblindness.

Bill

#5 Revised

Jan 23, 2014 at 09:56 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.