New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Young photographer

Scrumhalf
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Young photographer

This is my son during a birding walk.... shot with the 6D with 70-200 Mk II wide open.

I thought it came out reasonably well, but I would like to get some advice on how to make photos like this better. Looking at it right away, I think I could have made better use of the sunlight coming from the right side, maybe more flare as a backlight? I shot it only at 145mm or so, I think because it was a windy path and I didn't have room to move further back, but next time, I would have tried to shoot it longer to blur the background even more.

Thanks for any C&C!

IMG_0078 by Scrumhalf, on Flickr

Jan 20, 2014 at 03:46 PM
bryanlindsey
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Young photographer

Consider cropping the bare knees out. Also consider desaturating the green on his jacket, essentially making his whole jacket gray. Nice shot, I like it! FWIW

Jan 20, 2014 at 06:31 PM
Scrumhalf
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Young photographer

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll give it a try tonight.

Jan 20, 2014 at 07:11 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Young photographer

Im a rule of thirds guy. Take some off the left and some off the top. Nice photo either way

Jan 20, 2014 at 07:50 PM
Scrumhalf
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Young photographer

OK.. here is an updated version Jacket desaturated, added a touch more vignetting, cropped it a bit above the knees and a bit off the top and left to move him off center. What do you guys think?

IMG_0078-2 by Scrumhalf, on Flickr

Jan 21, 2014 at 04:11 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Young photographer

Second shots as improved quite a bit, but may I suggest to crop off that tree line on right side at the edge of picture, I think that would give a better balance overall

Lovely colors and sharpness where it's needed

Phi

Jan 21, 2014 at 07:31 AM
Scrumhalf
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Young photographer

Ah, the little details! I'll take care of it. Indeed, I see what all of you are saying. I can see how the bright green jacket, the knees, etc. were elements that drew the eye away and were distracting. Thank you all for your help. This little thread was quite instructional to me in showing me how little things that didn't register in my brain as the photographer was obvious to a neutral observer, as it were.

Jan 21, 2014 at 09:20 AM
Vince Muehe

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Young photographer

The second image is a definite improvement and I agree with the tree line on the right side. I may not have cropped quite so high when removing the knees. Now you're losing fingers. It's going to be tight, but I think you can get a crop where you still have all of the hand and no knees.

Personally, I think the back light is perfect. You have just a little rim light in the hair to set him off from the background. Nice job.

Many people would tend to crop in tight on the subject, but I love that you've kept the environment in the photo. It's important to the image. So, please don't get too crazy in cropping in from the right or top.

Jan 23, 2014 at 07:35 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.