New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · 1Ds2 Hotshoe Issue

Greg Feldman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1Ds2 Hotshoe Issue

My 1Ds2 is misbehaving. With two different 580 IIs, it only intermittently communicates with the flash (showing the lightning bolt in the viewfinder)--so more often than not, the flash does not fire when I want it to.

But ... With Pocket Wizards, it fires perfectly every time. So I'm not sure if the shoe is just loose (and the PW squeezes in there tighter), or if the dumb sync contact on the shoe is fine while the smart ETTL contacts are bad, or ... ?

What do you think? I let my CPS lapse so I'm hoping I don't have to send the body back. Thanks!

Jan 20, 2014 at 03:09 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1Ds2 Hotshoe Issue

It's easy to check if the hot shoe is loose. There is a thin metal cover over the screws that hold it down. Just pry it up slightly and slide it out.

Jan 20, 2014 at 03:48 PM
Cicopo
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1Ds2 Hotshoe Issue

I've had that problem too. Here's the info with pictures.

http://www.conraderb.com/flashrepair/

Jan 20, 2014 at 04:02 PM
jj_glos
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1Ds2 Hotshoe Issue

Great info Cicopo, my 1Ds2 plays up occasionally so I'll run through the screw tightening procedure that's for sure

Jan 20, 2014 at 04:08 PM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1Ds2 Hotshoe Issue

It may be the hot shoe, but it also may be the foot on the 580II's. It is a known problem that 430exII and 580exII have issues with their foots. Just wiggle the flash in the hot shoe usually cures the problem. But then you may have missed a shot… annoying to say the least.

Jan 20, 2014 at 04:19 PM
Cicopo
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1Ds2 Hotshoe Issue

I've had both problems, loose & flash not 100% into the hot shoe & I'm just passing along a link I'm sure I found here. The tightening fully cured my problem & since I have Loctite on hand I used some on the screws.

Jan 20, 2014 at 06:43 PM
Greg Feldman
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1Ds2 Hotshoe Issue

Update: I had another shoot coming up, so I tightened the screws as directed. It worked!

I was kind of hoping to have an excuse to get a couple new bodies, but no.

Feb 08, 2014 at 08:14 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.