New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Car broken into in SF, Nikon gears stolen

nicolachel
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Car broken into in SF, Nikon gears stolen

My car was broken into in SF earlier today and Nikon D600, 85 1.4G and 28 1.8G in a lowepro backpack was taken, should have been more careful about not leaving them in unattended car but would highly appreciate if someone could contact me ([email protected], or PM) if you happen to come across them on places like *bay or c***list, will happily offer something in return if the message leads to recovery of at least some lost goods.

Serial numbers:

D600: 3050615
85mm 1.4G: 617646
28mm 1.8G: 601666

Thanks in advance!

Jan 19, 2014 at 09:11 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Car broken into in SF, Nikon gears stolen

Same last Christmas.. D3x, SB-900, and my 24-70

All out of the trunk of a C280.. How do you break into a locked C280 boot? They did it ! Without leaving a mark.

You (and everyone) may want to look into Stolen Camera Finder I've popped for the 50 a year. Insurance took 1K for their deductible and that sucked.

Jan 19, 2014 at 09:23 PM
1slowg35
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Car broken into in SF, Nikon gears stolen

Your car insurance should cover it, why even bother with the recovery?? Unless there is priceless pics on the sd cards.

Jan 19, 2014 at 10:03 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Car broken into in SF, Nikon gears stolen

that sucks... it happened to me years ago with a D1x and kit.... I was thankful to have insurance to cover most of it.

Jan 19, 2014 at 10:07 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Car broken into in SF, Nikon gears stolen

1slowg35 wrote:
Your car insurance should cover it, why even bother with the recovery??

Because slimeballs deserve to be behind bars "making love trades w/ Bubba" instead of selling someone else's property that they "redistributed".

Additionally, if this person's gear is recovered, it may help to discourage other thieves. Not by much, I know, but every bit helps.

OP- you're doing the right thing. I hope you get your gear back.

Jan 19, 2014 at 10:10 PM
shmn
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Car broken into in SF, Nikon gears stolen

nicolachel wrote:
My car was broken into in SF earlier today...

Probably a Seahawks fan.

Go Hawks!

Sorry for your loss.

Jan 19, 2014 at 10:20 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Car broken into in SF, Nikon gears stolen

1slowg35 wrote:
Your car insurance should cover it, why even bother with the recovery?? Unless there is priceless pics on the sd cards.

What auto insurance covers photo equipment Normally it only covers broken glass, lock, radio, etc.

EBH

Jan 19, 2014 at 10:40 PM
shmn
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Car broken into in SF, Nikon gears stolen

1slowg35 wrote:

Actually, I don't think car insurance covers items in the car that are not part of the car. Home owner's insurance will cover those items. I could be wrong about this, but when my car was broken into, car insurance handled the stereo and damage to the car while other misc stuff inside the car (coat, bag) was covered by home insurance. I guess it all depends on your policy.

But with huge deductibles, it's better to have a 'valuable personal property' policy as part of home insurance which covers specific items with no deductible...plus they cover stuff like dropping your lens. I have all my expensive camera stuff covered this way for something like $20/year.

Jan 19, 2014 at 10:45 PM
Fingerstyle78
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Car broken into in SF, Nikon gears stolen

Oh man that sucks. I watch Ebay a lot, I'll let you know if I come across any of those things.

Jan 19, 2014 at 11:09 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Car broken into in SF, Nikon gears stolen

Nikon_14 wrote:
Because slimeballs deserve to be behind bars "making love trades w/ Bubba" instead of selling someone else's property that they "redistributed". .

+1

Kent in SD

Jan 19, 2014 at 11:15 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Car broken into in SF, Nikon gears stolen

Exactly on the insurance. Renters or Home only.

The car insurance only covers what is attached to the car.

Jan 19, 2014 at 11:46 PM
Kyyo24
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Car broken into in SF, Nikon gears stolen

Yea it will be covered under home or renters insurance,
Not auto. Ill keep an eye out, I'm in the Bay Area and always surfing, looking for deals

Jan 20, 2014 at 12:11 AM
The D

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Car broken into in SF, Nikon gears stolen

1slowg35 wrote:

This is not covered by a car insurance policy.

Jan 20, 2014 at 09:16 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Car broken into in SF, Nikon gears stolen

This sucks and I hope you get your stuff back

As far as insurance, I added my photo gear on separately. They ask for serial numbers and what you paid for the gear, but if it gets stolen or falls into the water, they pay you what you paid for the gear - not what it is worth used. Costs me like extra $10 a month or something. I have it through Progressive Renters

Jan 20, 2014 at 12:58 PM
dasams
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Car broken into in SF, Nikon gears stolen

Dustin Gent wrote:
As far as insurance, I added my photo gear on separately. They ask for serial numbers and what you paid for the gear,

+1 I have my equipment listed under a separate policy with State Farm.

Jan 20, 2014 at 04:57 PM
Driveitputtit
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Car broken into in SF, Nikon gears stolen

Yep, car insurance isn't gonna help.

One of the ONLY good things that come out of a thread like this, other than the OP possibly getting a lead on his/her gear, is that some people will come to the realization that they've had a misconception in regards to auto insurance, and will hopefully get them to think twice about ever leaving gear in the car.

Jan 20, 2014 at 08:32 PM
AtelierPhoto
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Car broken into in SF, Nikon gears stolen

My car insurance comes with $500 coverage on "removable" items (anything not bolted to the car itself.) That, along with the Renter's Insurance policy I have through the same company (USAA,) has covered me in the past.

Jan 21, 2014 at 12:34 PM
chuckbernard

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Car broken into in SF, Nikon gears stolen

I would suggest walking around on Market Street between 5th and 8th street. I've read many times where people's bags have been stolen from their car and show up on Market Street for sale within minutes. There is a small section on the south side of the street where people lay (mostly garbage) stuff out for sale.

By the Way, was your bag visible in the car?

To all that read this, do not EVER leave ANYTHING visible in your car in San Francisco. The Police Captain came to our neighborhood for a talk and told us that the same people are committing the crimes over and over again and they even know who they are but the crimes are so petty in the court's eyes that they just walk. So, no risk to them.

Also, he said that people get their cars broken into for things as little as sun glasses, even coins or a dollar bill visible in the console. I take long walks around the city and see broken car glass all over the place.

Jan 21, 2014 at 02:08 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Car broken into in SF, Nikon gears stolen

Seperate insurance on my gear ... well worth it.

Jan 21, 2014 at 03:47 PM
DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Car broken into in SF, Nikon gears stolen

Just an FYI: There is something happening at gun ranges around the country that my affect photographers. The bad guys see a person unloading expensive guns at a shooting range. They then put some type of identifying mark on the car (usually a mark on the tires from what I've read). They then follow the vehicle hoping the person will leave their vehicle unattended and then they break in.

I haven't heard of this among photographers but the thugs tend to be very inventive these days...

Jan 21, 2014 at 04:10 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.