FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Full moon over Grand Canyon

Slabshaft
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Full moon over Grand Canyon

For this month's full moon rise, a friend and I headed up to the canyon to see what the northward angle of the moon would get us despite the barren skies we've been having. We decided to shoot from Shoshone point. The hope was that the afterglow should offer some nice color since there were controlled burns happening in the area.

We got plenty of afterglow color. I enjoy the brown hues of the canyon, so I did my best to play it subtle to keep them from looking too blue or too green and resisted the urge to crank the contrast. I also decided not to neutralize the color casts. I find that the color casts can give the image a stronger sense of color without increasing saturation. Enjoy! C&C welcome.

D600 + Nikon18-35 / Nikon 50mm

Jan 19, 2014 at 08:04 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Full moon over Grand Canyon

nice, I like that last one.

Jan 19, 2014 at 08:41 PM
dalongfellow
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Full moon over Grand Canyon

Like the moon in the first, but for me the composition suffers from not having much in the lower half of the image that has much light/contrast. The second and third compositions work better, to my eye. I'm fine with your processing and agree that you don't need more contrast or saturation.

Dave

Jan 19, 2014 at 11:32 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Full moon over Grand Canyon

that last one is awesome. well done

Jan 20, 2014 at 12:00 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Full moon over Grand Canyon

You got some cool moon shots here, I like #1 and 2 the best, with a nudge going to #2. I do think you have too much of a magenta cast in all 3 shots though, with it affecting #2 the most. I don't think the ground and tree should be that heavy with magenta. Adjust that, and even though #2 doesn't have the moon, I think it would be a super sweet shot.

Jim

Jan 20, 2014 at 12:01 AM
Slabshaft
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Full moon over Grand Canyon

I definitely see that today since I just got the prints. Looks like my monitor/calibration is an issue with certain purple/magenta hues. Blues/greens seem fine. The shadows also look way too dark and muddy in print.

Jan 20, 2014 at 11:17 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.