Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Cicala and Dustin Abbott's Tamron 150-600 reviews

arbitrage
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · Cicala and Dustin Abbott's Tamron 150-600 reviews

Jim Scarff wrote:
I tend to share kzoockof's perspective on this lens. So much of the focus/reviews of this lens have been in the context of a 6D or 5DMkIII, and that surprises me. At this price and with a long focal length, I would think this lens would appeal to all the amateur wildlife photographers that are already using the 7D or 70D for the 1.6X crop factor.

I am an "advanced amateur" who shoots for fun, but fairly seriously. I have (all Canon) a 7D, a 70D, a EF-S 18-135, 70-300 IS L, 100-400 IS L, a 400mm DO IS,
...Show more

If people put this thing on a 7D and try to shoot at 600 (960 FF) and have no experience above 300mm (480FF) then things are going to fall apart very quickly!! We are going to see so much crap from this lens but we are also going to see some of the most amazing pictures ever from a $1000 lens provided by people that know what they are doing or take the time to learn

Jan 22, 2014 at 02:18 PM
kkartphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · Cicala and Dustin Abbott's Tamron 150-600 reviews

I for one am really anxious to get my hands on this lens in Sony mount, it's been the talk for awhile. Many of the samples which I see have my pretty impressed. Nice detail http://fstoppers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Fstoppers-Tamron-150_600-example-4.jpg

Jan 24, 2014 at 04:21 AM
kzoockof
• •
p.4 #3 · Cicala and Dustin Abbott's Tamron 150-600 reviews

I just want to post a quick note to those that have been in this thread, that I have disagreed with, that I do not mean anything personal or disrespectful by my disagreements. It has been a tough week and perhaps I have been a bit gruff as a result (not meant to excuse any impoliteness on my part). I want you all to know, that just because I may not agree with somebody's assessment, I do find it helpful to understand their differing opinions and hopefully I learn from them. I have no personal vested interest in this lens, for or against. I just find it an interesting lens - focal length zoom extension.

Jan 24, 2014 at 08:33 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.4 #4 · Cicala and Dustin Abbott's Tamron 150-600 reviews

Stay classy, Portage!

Jan 24, 2014 at 09:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Chris B.
• • •
p.4 #5 · Cicala and Dustin Abbott's Tamron 150-600 reviews

Chris B. wrote:
I an fortunate enough to own the wonderful 400/4 DO and a 500/4L, both of which are used a lot of the time with a 1.4x and yet I just bought the Tamron primarily for one reason: a single lens solution when traveling to places where taking a lot of gear would be difficult. It only arrived late Monday, and yesterday, we got a foot of snow, so my first real chance to try it out will be later today, assuming I recover from shoveling I use a 1D4, and if this lens matches or exceeds the performance
...Show more

I tested the Tamron for a couple of days on a variety of subjects and then sent it back to B&H. It's a nice lens with a really quite excellent build quality but unfortunately, it didn't come close to meeting the performance of my DO+1.4x (but then I really would have been very surprised if it had) and it hunted more than a little bit on acquiring moving subjects.

Jan 24, 2014 at 09:57 PM
Jim Scarff

p.4 #6 · Cicala and Dustin Abbott's Tamron 150-600 reviews

Chris B. - Thanks for your experience compared to a 400mm DO + 1.4X TC. One aspect of the various lens choices that has not gotten much attention is the weight of the various choices. For me, particularly when doing international air travel (e.g. some airlines limiting carry-on to 7 kg), weight is a big deal.

If memory serves, the 150-600 is 4.3 pounds. This makes it comparable in weight to the 400 DO (w/o a 1.4X TC), 40% heavier than the 100-400, but only HALF the weight of each the 500mm f/4.0 I and the 200-400 IS lens, (and that is not even counting the weight of the heavier tripod and gimbal that I find necessary for the 500mm).

I like the 400mm DO w/ a 1.4X TC. However, when that becomes to big a focal length, I don't like having to take the TC off, find the caps, re-attach the camera without letting dust, etc. Being able to zoom back from the 600mm when a large animal approaches without having to switch lenses of cameras is a major benefit (and why so many shooters drool at the new car priced 200-400). I think of the Tamron 150-600 as being a poor man's (or a modest man's) 200-400 for 1/10th the price, HALF the weight of either the 500mm f/4.0 or the 200-400mm lens with built-in TC.

Jan 26, 2014 at 01:38 AM
nikmar08

p.4 #7 · Cicala and Dustin Abbott's Tamron 150-600 reviews

Wonder how this lens would perform (at 560-600mm & f/8) compared to my 100-400 + 1.4TC (which makes it a 560mm at f/8). Would somebody be interested in sharing AF performance and sharpness comparisons; a 5D3 or 7D would be ideal for what I am looking for.

Thanks much for either sharing or pointing me to another source!! I\ll admit I haven't gone through the entire thread yet.

Jan 27, 2014 at 09:23 AM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password