Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Wanting to upgrade. What would you do??

Richard Nye
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wanting to upgrade. What would you do??

Most of my photography is for my own interest, I do very little paid work. I shoot a wide variety of landscape, portraits, and sports. I have a 1Ds3 and a 1D4 and I'm looking to upgrade. Why upgrade from these two excellent cameras might you ask? Well, I like full frame for most of my photography. I want a better LCD, better buffer, and better AF. I like the 1.3X crop factor of the 1D4 for some subjects (surfing photos, hummingbird photos, etc.), but I also want to simplify my kit. I wouldn't mind going from two 1D camera to only one.

My choices are,

1. Selling both the 1Ds3 and 1D4 and buying a 1Dx, or...

2. Selling the 1Ds3 and buying a 5D3 (keeping the 1D4)

What would you do and why?

Jan 19, 2014 at 02:14 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wanting to upgrade. What would you do??

Seems like mostly lateral movement...you lose resolution going to 1dx and you lose build quality and interchangeable screens and active point spot metering with the 5d3.

If I was a brick body buff, I might eat the resolution loss and try the 1dx...only 3mp difference anyway, but I would also be down one backup body. Because of my line of work I need multiple bodies and I don't like the size and weight of brick bodies, but I also don't like the 5d3s functional flaws. It's also annoying to have no af illumination on ai servo mode (another issue with the 5d3).

Edited on Jan 19, 2014 at 02:37 AM · View previous versions

Jan 19, 2014 at 02:23 AM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wanting to upgrade. What would you do??

I agree about the mostly lateral movement. I want to upgrade before my equipment becomes ancient history and the value is almost $0

Jan 19, 2014 at 02:34 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wanting to upgrade. What would you do??

In that case, never buy the latest generation and suffer depreciation. I bought a d800 for under 2k and a 5d3 for 2500. Mostly I bought them because of dissatisfactions with other cameras (5d3 because I wanted better af than the 5d2 and d800 because i couldn't stand canon shadow chroma noise when pushed). The tracking system of the d800 is smarter than the 5d3 even though it has fewer options. But the point is the 5d3 isn't perfect by any means.

Jan 19, 2014 at 02:49 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wanting to upgrade. What would you do??

I've got a 1D3 and 5D3 and they're a nice pair. I mostly shoot the 1D3, but the 5D3 comes out in low light or for macro/work requiring detail.

Ah, but the temptation of the flagship 1DX... good luck!

Jan 19, 2014 at 02:55 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wanting to upgrade. What would you do??

Hi Richard,

I replaced a 1DsIII with a 1DX because I wanted high fps and full frame. The 1DX is better in some AF performance parameters, but I never had any particular AF problems with the 1DsIII, nor do I have with the 1DIV that I still use. Another advantage not mentioned is that the 1DX, 5DIII, and 6D offer substantially improved high ISO image quality, plus the 5DIII and 6D have very nice silent shutters.

I figure that your priority for improved buffering (i.e. sustained shooting capability) might be the key issue for deciding between a 5DIII and 1DX. The 1DsIII offers 5 fps and the 5DIII 6 fps, which isn't a big difference, unless the 5DIII also offers substantially better "buffering", or sustained throughput. I know the 1DsIII buffer saturates pretty quickly shooting RAW, but I don't know about the 5DIII. So, if you really want better buffer performance, then one question to answer is, "how does the 5DIII buffering compare with the 1DsIII, when shooting the files that I shoot?". If the 5DIII buffering is about the same (i.e. gets choked up pretty fast), then you get fewer improvements by going to the 5DIII (e.g. AF, high ISO, silent shutter, LCD...).

If you want the best in buffering, then you know what to get. I can tell that you're already thinking about it, given your recent "pixels per duck" thread.

Maybe, sell the 1DsII + 1DIV, and get a 1DX + 6D. I'm just sayin'...

Jan 19, 2014 at 07:08 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wanting to upgrade. What would you do??

Richard,

After extensively using both the X & MkIV, IMHO the X blows the 4 away. The lack of a 1.3 crop is NOT missed, its AF is definitely better and its high ISO is superior, not to mention fps is faster. The 1DsMkIII is even older than the IV and its ISO is even more limited. So from your point of ancient history the III should be the first to go. Personally, I just got done selling my IV and a lens I haven't used since picking up the 400 2.8 last year to finance a 2nd 1D-x, this time I went for a used 1D-X with low mileage. My line up: sports stuff (2 - 1DXs), other (5D3 & 5D2). Currently thinking about selling the 5D2 and possibly getting a 6D If I do, it will be used 6D.
All used equipment bought here on FM

Good Luck with your decision.

Matt

Jan 19, 2014 at 09:52 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wanting to upgrade. What would you do??

Or he could just go Nikon and get a d4 and d800, one for speed and the other for massive resolution. Those lines are not so distinct on the canon side since everything is hovering around the 20mp mark now.

Jan 19, 2014 at 09:59 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Wanting to upgrade. What would you do??

Hi Richard,

I own and use the 5D3, 1D4 and 1DX. If I was in your shoes I would go 1DX. It is simply the best camera I've ever used. However, I would always want to have some sort of backup body especially if you travel with your gear. That may throw a wrench in the equation and then I would more strongly consider your other option or add a cheaper backup like 7D or 5D2 just in case of 1DX failure.

Both options would be good, I just like the 1DX so much more than the 1D4. I like the 5D3 in different ways than the 1DX and if I had to I could live with the 5D3 instead of 1DX except for my BIF photography.

Jan 19, 2014 at 10:16 AM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Wanting to upgrade. What would you do??

form wrote:
Or he could just go Nikon and get a d4 and d800, one for speed and the other for massive resolution. Those lines are not so distinct on the canon side since everything is hovering around the 20mp mark now.

Oh NO!! That would mean purging about $25k in lenses and re-buying. Canon may not be the best, or it may be, but for me it's good enough.

Jan 19, 2014 at 01:21 PM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Wanting to upgrade. What would you do??

I agree that a 1Dx + 6D would be a good combo, but also the most expensive alternative. When I travel it's mostly on business and I take the EOS M. If I'm traveling for vacation, I take the 1Ds3, but a 6D would be perfect (less weight and bulk and more MP).

Jan 19, 2014 at 01:27 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Wanting to upgrade. What would you do??

Do you still have two kidneys... ?

Jan 19, 2014 at 01:54 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.