Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Alternative to metal rings (triangle, circle, etc) on strap lugs?

atwl77
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Alternative to metal rings (triangle, circle, etc) on strap lugs?

I saw a used Canon A1 on display in a store where it had some kind of rope/string (?) instead of metal rings; it looped around the strap lugs, and then the camera strap was attached to the strings.

I thought that might be a great idea as it would be less abrasive on a Leica's reputably weak brass lugs (which can be scratched and worn out via regular metal rings).

I'm curious what kind of material would be most suitable for this purpose? I suppose it needs to be tough enough to withstand abrasion (especially if I attach a regular nylon camera strap that is rough and experience abrasion with the string)? Some kind of thin but durable nylon obtained from an outdoor/camping/sports store perhaps?

Also I'm not sure if these will come in closed loops, or I'll have to close the loop myself. If it were nylon, perhaps the knot could be sealed using heat? Or, some kind of knot-typing technique (I found a few on fishing websites) that should supposedly not loosen over time?

Any thoughts or opinions on this matter?

Jan 18, 2014 at 10:40 PM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Alternative to metal rings (triangle, circle, etc) on strap lugs?

Here is a sample of what maybe you saw...

http://optechusa.com/mini-qd-loops.html

check out the rest of their "system connectors" and you may find what your looking for.

Jan 19, 2014 at 02:33 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Alternative to metal rings (triangle, circle, etc) on strap lugs?

Is your question essentially about cord types?

You could consider buying some kevlar cord/kevlar braided cord.

google - kevlar cord black braided

Jan 19, 2014 at 04:19 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Alternative to metal rings (triangle, circle, etc) on strap lugs?

I use one of Gordy's straps on my Canon G9. After several years, it still looks perfect, spare the weathering of the leather, which looks nice.

http://www.gordyscamerastraps.com/

Jan 19, 2014 at 12:39 PM
atwl77
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Alternative to metal rings (triangle, circle, etc) on strap lugs?

Thanks guys.

I'm not referring to string loop-type straps, which typically come attached to the strap itself and isn't an independent connector, but rather what sort of material is used by those string loops.

Braided Kevlar looks interesting, but I wonder where does one find these? At a hardware store, or a fishing/sporting goods store perhaps?

Jan 19, 2014 at 08:21 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Alternative to metal rings (triangle, circle, etc) on strap lugs?

often used for high-tech kites and other things but certainly not limited to kites.

http://estore.twinline-usa.com/

Jan 19, 2014 at 08:47 PM
onimod

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Alternative to metal rings (triangle, circle, etc) on strap lugs?

Peak Design straps

I'm not sure of the aperture of a Leica lug but I can just (and only just) squeeze the Peak connector cord though a Nikon D4 lug.

I can't find mention of it at the moment but I think they're Spectra and for that my first thought would be a (sail) boat shop.

Edited on Jan 20, 2014 at 09:15 PM · View previous versions

Jan 20, 2014 at 12:22 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Alternative to metal rings (triangle, circle, etc) on strap lugs?

I don't even use my strap rings.

Jan 20, 2014 at 12:33 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Alternative to metal rings (triangle, circle, etc) on strap lugs?

Paul Mo wrote:
Is your question essentially about cord types?

You could consider buying some kevlar cord/kevlar braided cord.

google - kevlar cord black braided

major materials used in these types of setups.

Kevlar
Vectran
Spectra
Dyneema
Technora

Jan 20, 2014 at 07:00 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Alternative to metal rings (triangle, circle, etc) on strap lugs?

I use split rings on small cameras, like my X100s, but I use DIY webbing loops on my larger cameras. I've been using this system on 1D-series bodies with up to 70-200/2.8L lens for about ten years, with no problems.

Jan 20, 2014 at 09:13 AM
atwl77
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Alternative to metal rings (triangle, circle, etc) on strap lugs?

Thanks guys, lots of great suggestions here. I'll be visiting the local hardware/sporting goods store this weekend to see what's available over here.

jcolwell - great idea, but those won't fit through my strap lugs.

Jan 20, 2014 at 08:15 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Alternative to metal rings (triangle, circle, etc) on strap lugs?

Watch out for those side-release buckles as are used in these. Those buckles are notoriously easy to release by accident or through breakage.

<Chas>

Jan 21, 2014 at 06:59 PM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Alternative to metal rings (triangle, circle, etc) on strap lugs?

I've made several straps similar to the Gordy ones using paracord for my Nikon1 V1 setup. If the paracord is too thick you can gut it (remove the inner cords) to make thinner. I buy my paracord from SupplyCaptain on line to make sure I get real paracord and fake look-a-likes.

Jan 21, 2014 at 07:05 PM
scorpix

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Alternative to metal rings (triangle, circle, etc) on strap lugs?

Is there some new info about such string? I looked in ebay with no success. One idea is just to use braided fishing line (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braided_fishing_line). It is durable and thin.

Apr 05, 2014 at 03:05 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.