Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · is WB affected by flash/strobe power setting and angle of reflection?

ether1
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · is WB affected by flash/strobe power setting and angle of reflection?

Probably basic for all here and I am 99% sure that light intensity doesn't affect WB but I am wondering...assuming all other variables stay the same....would you think that WB may be affected if just changing the angle of reflection on the subject or simply tilting the head of a speedlite that has a light modifier attached?
You still getting proper exp as you adjust either Apr or T.... and assuming the walls and ceiling are the same color....but you simply use either more direct light from the light source (strobe or flash) or you allowing for more diffused light to be your primary source?

Thanks!

Jan 18, 2014 at 05:08 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · is WB affected by flash/strobe power setting and angle of reflection?

Your WB or color of the light can definitely change as the power of a strobe is adjusted up or down. The amount depends on the quality and performance characteristics of a given strobe brand. Even Speedights can change color depending on light output. This is why, unless you know your strobe's color is consistent, you need to take a custom WB when you change power, or shoot some type of WB card, and fix it later. Changing light modifiers in mid shoot will also change the color unless they are all the same brand and type of diffusion. This is another reason for buying good quality softboxes, or fixing the color later.

Edited on Jan 18, 2014 at 06:01 PM · View previous versions

Jan 18, 2014 at 06:00 PM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · is WB affected by flash/strobe power setting and angle of reflection?

Actually, with most flashes, the color temperature of the lighty does change somewhat as the power varies, so your white balance can be affected by that.

Compared to a bare flash, most modifiers will affect the color temperature as well, but tilting the light around shouldn't affect anything, provided all of the surroundings are neutral. Still, it's possible to see subtle differences as highlights and shadows shift and change, so some photographers spend big money on flashes that are designed for excellent consistency.

Jan 18, 2014 at 06:00 PM
ether1
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · is WB affected by flash/strobe power setting and angle of reflection?

myam203 wrote:
"........ Still, it's possible to see subtle differences as highlights and shadows shift and change, so some photographers spend big money on flashes that are designed for excellent consistency.

this what really prompted my question., Recently had a small family gathering (6ppl) so I lined up everyone against one wall, set my camera on a tripod with flash and medium size light modifier and took some pictures.
I took several takes with flash firing at different angles....either less bounce off the ceiling or more direct.
Later when looking at the RAW images and trying to adjust WB it seemed I needed a slightly different color temp for some takes

Jan 19, 2014 at 09:11 AM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · is WB affected by flash/strobe power setting and angle of reflection?

Your camera is recording reflected light. Any change in what that light is reflecting off is going to have an affect. For example: If you move your light to one side and it's reflecting (toward the camera) off more of the subjects clothing rather than the white wall it will be a different color than it would if more of it was bouncing off the wall/ceiling. That's why we take our wb sample from the light source rather than what's coming back from the subject.

Jan 19, 2014 at 11:13 AM
tedwca
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · is WB affected by flash/strobe power setting and angle of reflection?

You weren't using auto WB on the camera were you? That would cause slight changes in WB from shot to shot.

Jan 19, 2014 at 01:28 PM
ether1
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · is WB affected by flash/strobe power setting and angle of reflection?

tedwca wrote:
You weren't using auto WB on the camera were you? That would cause slight changes in WB from shot to shot.

when shooting RAW I was told to always use Auto WB since any changes will be done in PP anyhow.... are you recommending other settings when shooting RAW indoors ?

Jan 19, 2014 at 01:54 PM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · is WB affected by flash/strobe power setting and angle of reflection?

It depends. If you're taking casual family photos, AWB is probably fine. If you're shooting something that is critical (exposure and WB have to be perfect) it does make a small difference if you shoot with a custom WB. You will see small differences in exposure if you nail the white bal in camera. You can check this for yourself. Watch the histogram in your preferred PP software as you change the WB settings.

Jan 19, 2014 at 02:06 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.