FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2014 · she started photography in 2012

Michaelparris
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · she started photography in 2012

When it is right outside your front door it is much easier than packing up gear and searching for a spot.....Dont you watch the news? Middle of a drought here no fog, rain, clouds nothing.....I am just particularly fond over the foggy overcast sky for portraits. Very moody. I get your point and hopefully you get mine.

Edited on Jan 20, 2014 at 05:44 PM · View previous versions

Jan 20, 2014 at 05:40 PM
andreavaccaro
• •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · she started photography in 2012

I remember seeing her pictures on 500px.... she is indeed an incredible talent!

Jan 20, 2014 at 05:43 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · she started photography in 2012

I love what she does with that 50/1.2L and the 135/2L! Wonderful work. Thanks for the links.

Jan 20, 2014 at 08:10 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · she started photography in 2012

Nexu wrote:
- yeah.
Actually, you'd think Roseville, CA would be a wonderful place for moody environmental shots. Don't you guys get rain, fog & clouds there? Aren't there tree's and mountains within a short drive?

I understand that a lot of people are jealous of what she's been able to achieve in such a short time in photography. And I don't want to take away from her success one iota, her work is fabulous and she deserves the "fame" that she's getting. But from what I read it sounds like she shoots a ton. Like she's probably shooting several days a week. With
...Show more

Shooting a lot, regardless of subject matter, is definitely important. But it's also important to develop strong compositional and graphic sensibility, and not just be obsessed with capturing "every moment." What I see in her best photography is a keen sense of where she wants an image to go graphically (something she learned as part of her formal art education). The images are arranged, captured, and processed to almost look more like paintings or illustrations than photographs.

I think that's why I like them so much. The use of light, contrast, graphical shapes, depth, and edge really make the images pop. The somber palette also presents a unique but seemingly appropriate mood.

Jan 20, 2014 at 09:35 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · she started photography in 2012

Arka wrote:
What I see in her best photography is a keen sense of where she wants an image to go graphically (something she learned as part of her formal art education). The images are arranged, captured, and processed to almost look more like paintings or illustrations than photographs.

Again, not to take away from her talent, but there's a difference between someone picking up a camera a couple of years ago and shooting with no training compared to a formally trained artist who turns to the camera as a means of expression.

An artist's eye is an artist's eye, Learning the mechanics of photography is similar to learning the mechanics of painting. Neither will get you far if you don't have the ability to see artistically.

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:15 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · she started photography in 2012

Best response so far....hit the nail on the head

Arka wrote:
Shooting a lot, regardless of subject matter, is definitely important. But it's also important to develop strong compositional and graphic sensibility, and not just be obsessed with capturing "every moment." What I see in her best photography is a keen sense of where she wants an image to go graphically (something she learned as part of her formal art education). The images are arranged, captured, and processed to almost look more like paintings or illustrations than photographs.

I think that's why I like them so much. The use of light, contrast, graphical shapes, depth, and edge really make the images
...Show more

Jan 21, 2014 at 12:15 AM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · she started photography in 2012

Well said.....

dmacmillan wrote:
Again, not to take away from her talent, but there's a difference between someone picking up a camera a couple of years ago and shooting with no training compared to a formally trained artist who turns to the camera as a means of expression.

An artist's eye is an artist's eye, Learning the mechanics of photography is similar to learning the mechanics of painting. Neither will get you far if you don't have the ability to see artistically.

Jan 21, 2014 at 12:19 AM
Sharona
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · she started photography in 2012

Late to the party, but I absolutely love her photography. She is a master at "seeing" and using the light and her surroundings to great effect. Yes, it helps that she lives in a gorgeous environment and has great subjects, etc. But as others have said, her artistic training is quite evident and I look forward to following her work.

Jan 21, 2014 at 10:32 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · she started photography in 2012

Gunzorro wrote:
I love what she does with that 50/1.2L and the 135/2L! Wonderful work. Thanks for the links.

for some reason the Flickr link is not working here but the 500px and search works

http://500px.com/ElenaShumilova
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Elena+Shumilova

Jan 21, 2014 at 10:33 AM
bennet
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · she started photography in 2012

I usually don't comment, but I have to say she's amazing and extremely gifted! Incredible set of pictures...

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:56 AM
roman.johnston
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · she started photography in 2012

Between her and our own Lisa Holloway.....I am starting to explore people taking people pictures seriously.

Roman

Jan 21, 2014 at 02:23 PM
Ravitej
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · she started photography in 2012

The actor Robert Redford studied to be a graphic designer. When someone ask him if that helped him in the film career. He said it taught him how to see. And to keep looking. Sometimes one needs to spend time watching to see. Analyzing details of a scene in front of the windshield. Looking at a photo and imaging how it was done. Many photos like this are amazing in the separation between the subject and the background. Analyze in a heartbeat how a shape in the background affects the subject. What the clothing communicates. Fantasize a story before your eyes. Letting life become a continual photo or movie. Going to the movies and watching how it was done. A long dolly. A brilliant separation. The color of fog. Where the train track is. And always the story. Never have a bad photo. Just one that tells a different story. Separate a little from life around. A fly on the wall. Be both inside and outside. Incorporate the cosmic giggle.

Jan 23, 2014 at 05:58 PM
GeorgieGirl
• •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · she started photography in 2012

There is somehting very unique and gifted in what she sees and expresses as a capture. Very earthy, dramatic and substantial. Love it!!

Jan 23, 2014 at 09:01 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.