FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2014 · 5D anniversary camera

jgoetz4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D anniversary camera

Good Evening Folks,
I know the 10th anniversary of the original 5D is still about 1 1/2 years away, but would anyone be interested if Canon were to reissue an anniversary 5D? Lots of photographers still use this ancient camera to make a living, whether in the studio, on the street, or in a chapel. I've had 3 5D's myself in 6 yrs. There is something about that original 12.7 MP sensor that keeps some photographers coming back. If Canon were to reintroduce this camera, it could have an updated sensor, maybe 18MP, with a 5D3 AF, no aa filter, and both CF and SD slots, with Digic 6 controlling it all. No wi-fi or video. $1499. Possible ?
Have a Good Evening
Jim...

Jan 17, 2014 at 07:42 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D anniversary camera

Only interested if the skin of an endangered species is used and dyed in lurid colours. A faux-marble lens hood also would be a nice touch.

Jan 17, 2014 at 07:47 PM
James Cripps
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D anniversary camera

So... a 5DIII with less MP, no video recording, and no AA filter? No thanks. The original 5D is a classic. Leave it as it is

Jan 17, 2014 at 07:54 PM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D anniversary camera

Sounds a lot like a 5D3, especially if you want 5D3 AF. A camera with those specs would not be much cheaper than a 5D3

Jan 17, 2014 at 08:01 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D anniversary camera

You're serious? Ha-ha!

Why don't you cut out the middle man (Canon) and buy the new Nikon DUfUS*?

Let's see where that "product development" takes Nikon.

* specifically designed for Dumb Uncle from United States

Edited on Jan 17, 2014 at 08:05 PM · View previous versions

Jan 17, 2014 at 08:03 PM
jgoetz4
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D anniversary camera

Yes, the original is a classic, but why not improve on it ? Take a good product and make it better, rather then more expensive

Jan 17, 2014 at 08:03 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D anniversary camera

In the past, anniversary models were simply a current model colored silver or gold with matching kit lens, strap and commemorative box, all for a silly high price. The gold plated Elph and silver EOS 10S come to mind...

I wouldn't mind a standard feature 5D MKIII in brushed titanium and real leather with matching EF 24-70 4L IS USM. I wouldn't buy it if it lacked video albeit I can live without Wi-Fi/GPS. If it had ECF I'd just pay and wouldn't give a damn about the other features. No mo' freakin' joystick or wheel trumps all!

I loved my 5D back in the day but I like my 5D MKII and 6D a lot more. Other than the FF CMOS, the 5D fell really short for me in most other ways.

Jan 17, 2014 at 08:04 PM
sb in ak
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5D anniversary camera

Sounds like a good time to release a killer 5D Mark IV. Nothing gimmicky. I can't think of a better anniversary gift than a killer 5D update. Though I do LOVE the Mark III.

Edited on Jan 17, 2014 at 08:06 PM · View previous versions

Jan 17, 2014 at 08:05 PM
jgoetz4
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5D anniversary camera

I'm talking photography only, and the original 5D pretty much set the standard way back when

Jan 17, 2014 at 08:06 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5D anniversary camera

jgoetz4 wrote:
Yes, the original is a classic, but why not improve on it ? Take a good product and make it better, rather then more expensive

It was called the 5D Mark II and it was a tremendous hit that also revolutionized digital film making.

Jan 17, 2014 at 08:06 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5D anniversary camera

A 5D anniversary edition consisting of a substantial reduction in 5D Mark III prices would be very welcome to me.

Jan 17, 2014 at 08:07 PM
jgoetz4
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5D anniversary camera

Gochugogi wrote:
In the past, anniversary models were simply a current model colored silver or gold with matching kit lens, strap and commemorative box, all for a silly high price. The gold plated Elph and silver EOS 10S come to mind...

I wouldn't mind a standard feature 5D MKIII in brushed titanium and real leather with matching EF 24-70 4L IS USM. I wouldn't buy it if it lacked video albeit I can live without Wi-Fi/GPS. If it had ECF I'd just pay and wouldn't give a damn about the other features. No mo' freakin' joystick or wheel trumps all!

I loved my 5D
...Show more
IQ probably wasn't one of them...

Jan 17, 2014 at 08:07 PM
jgoetz4
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5D anniversary camera

Gunzorro wrote:
It was called the 5D Mark II and it was a tremendous hit that also revolutionized digital film making.

The 5D2 regarding digital film making is out dated as the original 5D itself.

Jan 17, 2014 at 08:13 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5D anniversary camera

jgoetz4 wrote:
The 5D2 regarding digital film making is out dated as the original 5D itself.

You just wanted to take it to the next step. It's already been done, and done better. And now we are on to the best yet: 5D3. I don't think you'll have more than an entertaining debate trying to rummage around in the digital dustbin.

Let's request a 5D4 with high MP sensor and a few other bells and whistles one step beyond the 5D3.

Jan 17, 2014 at 08:25 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5D anniversary camera

I'd say nope, but, as the 1DX has demonstrated to some degree, more pixels isn't everything to everyone. Having a bit of time with files from a friend's 5Dc and my recent images from a 1DMkIIN, I do like the look of the larger pixels. I see, on my 24 and my friend's 30 inch screens, a subtle difference in colors, their smoothness without seemingly any loss in sharpness, that I really like compared to higher MP bodies; I see these same characteristics in 1DX images; a bit also in the 6D.

Realizing sensor size, the often needed higher MP; the race for more, my gut says we'll never see the days of 8/12MPs again. However, to have a 12MP sensor with gapless design and the high ISO improvements seen in today's sensors...I can only imagine the light gathering nuances of such a beast.

Personally I'm good with 20 or so MP. Anything higher would be a burden computer, storage and PP wise...a sad budgetary and time/hours issue. Photography is one of many hobbies, there are always new languages, frameworks and design/programming standards to learn, become proficient at. And at the very top is family, friends, getting outside to enjoy life.

Having this 1DMkIIN is a delight, but my next body will be new or a refurb and most likely a 6D or it's next version; I really do like liveview

Edited on Jan 17, 2014 at 08:35 PM · View previous versions

Jan 17, 2014 at 08:26 PM
jgoetz4
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5D anniversary camera

Gunzorro wrote:
You just wanted to take it to the next step. It's already been done, and done better. And now we are on to the best yet: 5D3. I don't think you'll have more than an entertaining debate trying to rummage around in the digital dustbin.

Let's request a 5D4 with high MP sensor and a few other bells and whistles one step beyond the 5D3.

The original 5D started it all, ff wise. Let's remember it after 10 years. As a pro videographer with over 12 yrs of field experience, there is no still camera that will capture what a video camera does at it's best. Period...

Jan 17, 2014 at 08:32 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5D anniversary camera

Jerry you make a very good point, and probably the very reason Canon keeps pumping out 18MP APS-C sensors: many people don't want the burden of high MP handling and storage, and 18MP is quite a lot compared to 10 years ago.

And you touch on another interesting point: rather than try to re-invent the wheel, why not buy a readily available 1D3 (or 1D4, or 1D2!, if one can handle the video opportunity of the IV), and go to town taking some really gorgeous pictures with a much better body than the 5-series.

The tools are there.

And then there is Nikon. . . sorry! I can't help it!

Jan 17, 2014 at 08:35 PM
jgoetz4
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 5D anniversary camera

Lol. Higher MP cameras warrant newer glass that can handle 40MP or higher. Gotta think of the glass first if you want it to handle the camera lol...

Jan 17, 2014 at 08:38 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 5D anniversary camera

I think I've already got the Canon L glass to do the job. Between TSE and macros and all the newly design glass released the last few years, I think Canon has primed the pump. Until then, I'm have good results with them now on Canon's 21MP sensors. There's a lot a great Canon glass out there, certainly more than Sony and Nikon offer, or even Zeiss.

So, are you on board?

Jan 17, 2014 at 08:50 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 5D anniversary camera

Gunzorro wrote:
Jerry you make a very good point, and probably the very reason Canon keeps pumping out 18MP APS-C sensors: many people don't want the burden of high MP handling and storage, and 18MP is quite a lot compared to 10 years ago.

And you touch on another interesting point: rather than try to re-invent the wheel, why not buy a readily available 1D3 (or 1D4, or 1D2!, if one can handle the video opportunity of the IV), and go to town taking some really gorgeous pictures with a much better body than the 5-series.

The tools are there.

And then there
...Show more

Jim, I've a life long friend, well he's pretty much family, that's a diehard Nikon shooter. He's a family man, 4 kids, numerous GCs, and he shoots both stills and videos. On a recent visit he had some time with my 7D; he has a D7000. His comment after some shooting was 'I wish my Nikon shot video this easy...damn Canon.' It's the LCD, Liveview, their higher quality, and that you can change all three aspects of the exposure triangle and see the change instantly; and without having to go to a menu...

Other than the above he likes everything else, always will. He's very serious about images...of his family. And like many consumers doesn't have a big budget for said hobby. Preserving moments in time, still or moving, is the objective, refining the image to a point, for that perfect memory...not pixel

FM is an 'artists' community, hobbyist and pro, that mix brings with it different needs/wants and at time spirited discussion/debate. None the more important, just the image...in whatever form pleases!

Tools indeed...
Jerry

Edited on Jan 17, 2014 at 09:00 PM · View previous versions

Jan 17, 2014 at 08:57 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.