New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · First time seller

can0nfan2379
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First time seller

Hi,

I was thinking about posting some of my equipment up for sale but not sure if I want to use Paypal (I've never used Paypal to buy or sell anything). Maybe I'm just being neurotic but I don't really want to link my bank account up to Paypal given the security breaches they've had in the past. Any of the purchases I've made from others on this board I've paid either via money wire or USPS money order or cash in person.

So, I guess I'd rather only accept personal check or money order but am I severely crippling myself since I've only been a buyer on this board and not a seller?

Any thoughts on strategy for a first time seller? Am I doomed to use Paypal?

Jan 17, 2014 at 06:56 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First time seller

Open a bank account that you use exclusively for PP transactions. Put $50 in it. Use that account when you sign up for PP, connect it to your verified PP address. When you make a sale and get the money for form the sale, transfer the funds immediately into that account. When they show up, remove the money to your standard account to which PP has no access. Leave the $50 in it that you opened the PP dedicated account with. Works really well for folks whom I know really well.

Jan 17, 2014 at 07:04 PM
can0nfan2379
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First time seller

Sounds like a decent enough plan. Thanks for your input.

anthonysemone wrote:
Open a bank account that you use exclusively for PP transactions. Put $50 in it. Use that account when you sign up for PP, connect it to your verified PP address. When you make a sale and get the money for form the sale, transfer the funds immediately into that account. When they show up, remove the money to your standard account to which PP has no access. Leave the $50 in it that you opened the PP dedicated account with. Works really well for folks whom I know really well.

Jan 17, 2014 at 07:09 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First time seller

anthonysemone wrote:

+1

Jan 18, 2014 at 03:18 PM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First time seller

Guess I live under a rock, I was not aware of security breaches on PayPal. I've been using PP since 1999, never a problem (yet). Thanks for the heads up on the security breaches.
)P, No doubt the requirement of postage payment will likely hinder your ability to sell. Usually when a person decides to buy he wants to pay and get the item onward to himself. Sales seem a little soft on boards now, have been a while.

Jan 18, 2014 at 05:25 PM
can0nfan2379
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First time seller

Thanks guys, I'll look into opening another account specifically for use with paypal.

Cheers.

Jan 19, 2014 at 01:00 AM
Mike1.6
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · First time seller

I was a member of the forum for years before I sold my first item in the B&S forum. I recall that my first 4 sales were shipped to the buyer, prior to being paid. I was extremely selective with the people I would do that with but it all worked out fine. After that, I had enough feedback for people to be willing to make a regular Paypal purchase.

I do believe that you can request USPS Money Order or personal check type payment but it requires laying a decent foundation of reputation. That being said, I've bought a bunch of gear here using USPS money orders. I was very confident in the seller I was working with though.

Good luck.

Jan 19, 2014 at 11:05 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · First time seller

^^^^^ +1

Jan 19, 2014 at 12:33 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · First time seller

Mike1.6 wrote:
I was a member of the forum for years before I sold my first item in the B&S forum. I recall that my first 4 sales were shipped to the buyer, prior to being paid. I was extremely selective with the people I would do that with but it all worked out fine. After that, I had enough feedback for people to be willing to make a regular Paypal purchase.

I do believe that you can request USPS Money Order or personal check type payment but it requires laying a decent foundation of reputation. That being said, I've bought a
...Show more

Brave man shipping items before payment. I don't care how much feedback they have, that would always make me nervous.

Jan 19, 2014 at 03:18 PM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · First time seller

BenV, When you think about it, the buyer is a brave person to pay for something and expect the seller will send it. Basically, it's much the same either way. But the procedure is pay and wait for paid to ship the item.
While on this I'll add my complaint about feedback. Sellers will hold hostage the buyers feedback until the item is received, and buyer leaves feedback as such. But the buyer has earned his feedback the moment he paid.

Jan 19, 2014 at 06:08 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · First time seller

Mike1.6 wrote:

I do believe that you can request USPS Money Order or personal check type payment but it requires laying a decent foundation of reputation. That being said, I've bought a
...Show more

This is my 11th year on FM/B&S and I agree 100%. I no longer do this though unless I know the buyer/seller very well.
Cross shipping was very trustworthy in the early days of FM. Even you test then pay was sometimes an alternative back then.

I was paid and bought with USPS MO never with a problem. I also have never had a problem with my PP account.
If I allow check payment, I require that the check be totally cleared and the money actually transferred to my account prior to releasing the eqpt. Not the standard 24hr-3/5 day bank to bank clearance. But the actual deposit of funds in my acct. I make the buyer fully aware of this and have NEVER had a problem.
That is unless I personally know the buyer. If the item is a large $$ item I always call and speak to that person. You can learn allot from a call.
Your "word" used to be a hidden feature in any b/s here on FM but it is rare now.
If a person wants your eqpt, they are aware of your reputation on FM, then how they pay should be of no question.
Just my $.02 worth.
Dan

Jan 20, 2014 at 11:24 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · First time seller

I agree completely, Dan. I've had several cross-ship transactions as Seller and a couple as Buyer. Always (save one time) with folks here whom I've come to "know" and whose reputation I could absolutely rely upon. In each case, these members had stellar feedback, but more important, they were substantive contributors to various Boards here on FM. The one half-assed cross-ship came from a person who had umpteen hundreds of positive feedbacks, and, like a stupid shite, I didn't see what were the transactions they related to. turns out that 300 positive for battery sales is not the same as 30 positive for high $ items. In the end it worked out, but I learned my lesson. I also used to make consistent use of USPS MO's, and on occasion personal checks. I reckon that even from my much shorter tenure here than yours, Dan, things have changed more than a bit. I ho;e you all don't get hammered with the snow, though it does make for good photo ops (I don't think I ever told you, but your avatar speaks loud and clear about who you are as person - welcome home, brother)

Jan 20, 2014 at 12:51 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · First time seller

anthonysemone wrote:
I agree completely, Dan. I've had several cross-ship transactions as Seller and a couple as Buyer. Always (save one time) with folks here whom I've come to "know" and whose reputation I could absolutely rely upon. In each case, these members had stellar feedback, but more important, they were substantive contributors to various Boards here on FM. The one half-assed cross-ship came from a person who had umpteen hundreds of positive feedbacks, and, like a stupid shite, I didn't see what were the transactions they related to. turns out that 300 positive for battery sales is not the same
...Show more

Semper Fi Anthony!
Your statement probably has truth in it for everyone here on FM.
We learn..daily my friend!!
"A man who trusts nobody is apt to be the kind of man nobody trusts."
Harold MacMillan (past PM of the UK)

"The trust of the innocent is the liar's most useful tool."
Stephen King

"Trust your own instinct. Your mistakes might as well be your own, instead of someone else's."
Billy Wilder

5-7" due tomorrow afternoon. It has been a cold winter and December was very snowy. The "polar vortex" is due tomorrow nite also.
Where do the people come up with these terms?

Again Semper Fi "Devil Dog! Thanks for the "Welcome". It is one I wish Vietnam Vets had gotten 47+ years ago and when I served there 2 years back-to-back.
Dan

Jan 20, 2014 at 01:07 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · First time seller

It grieves me to this day, Dan, to see on Veterans Day how few civilians ever bother to acknowledge those of you who fought in the "Bad Place." If I figure your DOS correctly, probability is high you lived through some really, really bad stuff and suffered through the loss of very dear friends. (I simply pushed papers at S2 HQCo 3rdMarines on Okinawa, Camp Kinser, for 13 months.) I salute, Sir

Jan 21, 2014 at 07:44 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.