Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Lightroom going subscription?

butchM
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Lightroom going subscription?

chez wrote:
No, I still have my photos that I processed over the years...just like if I cancel my cable subscription I have nothing in my hand but I do have previous years of watching movies.

Sorry, your analogy is inaccurate and rife with contradictions.

In most markets, if you were unhappy with one cable/television content provider ... you have multiple competitive providers that can and do offer nearly the same exact content for nearly the same exact price, level of service and quality of product. If for any reason you chose to use a competitor service, there would very likely be no noticeable difference in changing providers. You could still enjoy a nearly identical experience with the other options incurring little if no inconvenience.

Conversely, in many cases, you can't move to other software options and pick up where you left off seamlessly. Sure, there are other apps that can open and display finished images processed in Ps ... but there aren't any that I am aware of who can read the processing applied by ACR/Lr ... any work applied to the latter is lost if you choose to step off the treadmill of perpetual payment ... for any reason. Should Adobe ever choose to only offer CC licensing for Lr.

My images are much more important to me than any theatrical production I may watch on cable. Comparing the two services and claiming they are the same is ludicrous at best.

Jan 18, 2014 at 08:17 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Lightroom going subscription?

butchM wrote:
My images are much more important to me than any theatrical production I may watch on cable. Comparing the two services and claiming they are the same is ludicrous at best.

Indeed they are almost the opposite. If you stop paying the cable/satellite/FIOS bill, you may lose a few programs time-shifted on the box, not your life's work. It's the difference between creating a product vs. consuming a product.

EBH

Jan 18, 2014 at 08:27 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Lightroom going subscription?

butchM wrote:

In most markets, if you were unhappy with one cable/television content provider ... you have multiple competitive providers that can and do offer nearly the same exact content for nearly the same exact price, level of service and quality of product. If for any reason you chose to use a competitor service, there would very likely be no noticeable difference in changing providers. You could still enjoy a nearly identical experience with the other options incurring little if no inconvenience.

Conversely, in many cases, you can't move to other software options and pick
...Show more

I'm ok with converting my images to Tiff if I ever choose to move away from Adobe. That is my way out if it comes to that and I don't lose my images. Let's not get too dramatic now. I can say you are in the same boat staying with the current version of PS as one day it won't work on your latest hw/OS combination and your work will be toast.

Jan 18, 2014 at 10:47 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Lightroom going subscription?

chez wrote:
No, I still have my photos that I processed over the years...just like if I cancel my cable subscription I have nothing in my hand but I do have previous years of watching movies.

butchM wrote:

Conversely, in many cases, you can't move to other software options and pick
...Show more
chez wrote:
I'm ok with converting my images to Tiff if I ever choose to move away from Adobe. That is my way out if it comes to that and I don't lose my images. Let's not get too dramatic now. I can say you are in the same boat staying with the current version of PS as one day it won't work on your latest hw/OS combination and your work will be toast.

True, but that is a long cycle. Windows 8 will be around into the next decade. By then the CC issue will be sorted out.

EBH

Jan 18, 2014 at 11:01 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Lightroom going subscription?

If push comes to shove, and at the very least, I can live with DPP.

At least Canon should remain gracious enough to provide it 'free'.

Jan 19, 2014 at 04:22 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Lightroom going subscription?

Since I use Sanon and Nikon that does nothing for my NEFs.

EBH

Jan 19, 2014 at 08:58 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Lightroom going subscription?

How ironic it is that Adobe championed DNG as a way to get away from manufacturer lock-in, and now it is Adobe who are hoping that PS/LR lock-in will make CC a success.

Jan 19, 2014 at 01:02 PM
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.