Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Lightroom going subscription?

EGrav
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightroom going subscription?

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/01/17/adobe-lightroom-ipad/

Makes you wonder what's next ....

Jan 17, 2014 at 03:36 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightroom going subscription?

EGrav wrote:
http://www.macrumors.com/2014/01/17/adobe-lightroom-ipad/

Makes you wonder what's next ....

Exactly what are you wondering. I think an iPad and cloud are a good match, especially if the access to the cloud is seamless. Typically tablets have little storage for images and a nice integration with a cloud service would be a very logical solution.

Jan 17, 2014 at 04:01 PM
allebaug

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightroom going subscription?

Do you ever travel where wifi, or any signal, is poor, expensive, or NA?

Jan 17, 2014 at 04:19 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightroom going subscription?

chez wrote:
Typically tablets have little storage for images and a nice integration with a cloud service would be a very logical solution.

I think that is where Adobe is missing the mark on tablet based apps. I recall one of the Adobe executives relating to tablets processors as lame ... I counter that aspect is only a short-term negative.

Case in point is Apple's new A7 64-bit processor. There have been rumors that other more advanced processors are soon to be released by other makers. While it is not a comparable solution the power of current desktop and laptops ... it is moving in the right direction. Flash memory continues to improve and cost less. So in the very near future, tablets will have much more horsepower and not be so "lame" ...

Secondly, the Lr cloud system, in my mind is a convoluted mess. First, you must load and import your images using a traditional computer. Then you must create and upload Smart Previews to Adobe's servers, then access those Smart Previews from the cloud with your tablet ... for what? So you can add meta data while lounging on the sofa?

What many photojournalists and location photographers need is a solution for working in the field using RAW images ... that doesn't cause a duplication of effort to add the field work to your main library upon return from the assignment.

I don't really need a "cloud" service for that. I'm not going to pay an additional $100 a year for something I could accomplish as easy using a remote desktop app.

Jan 17, 2014 at 05:43 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lightroom going subscription?

butchM wrote:
I think that is where Adobe is missing the mark on tablet based apps. I recall one of the Adobe executives relating to tablets processors as lame ... I counter that aspect is only a short-term negative.

Case in point is Apple's new A7 64-bit processor. There have been rumors that other more advanced processors are soon to be released by other makers. While it is not a comparable solution the power of current desktop and laptops ... it is moving in the right direction. Flash memory continues to improve and cost less. So in the very near future, tablets
...Show more

Since this is NOT a released product...how do you know exactly how LR for IPad will interact with the cloud and how do you know you have to import images using a traditional computer. Where did you get all this information considering this us just a rumor. Possibly jumping to I'll informed conclusions.

Jan 17, 2014 at 07:46 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lightroom going subscription?

If LR goes subscription only, I will use Canon DPP for conversion and whatever latest standalone LR I have at the time for keywording and organizing.

Jan 17, 2014 at 07:54 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lightroom going subscription?

I already have it packaged up with PS for $10./month. Deal is starting to sound better all the time.

Jan 17, 2014 at 08:04 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lightroom going subscription?

$99 a year for a tablet app is insane. They've truly lost their marbles over there, haven't they?

I love Lightroom, and I will continue to update Lightroom as long as a perpetual license is available. That goes away, they lose my Lightroom business too. I've already integrated C1 Pro into my workflow for certain images, and could pretty easily switch whole hog if I needed to.

I'd have paid $50 for an iPad Lightroom that allowed for import and quality conversion of RAW files on the go, but there's no way I'm shelling out a hundred bucks a YEAR for LR on the iPad.

Jan 17, 2014 at 08:06 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lightroom going subscription?

chez wrote:
I already have it packaged up with PS for $10./month. Deal is starting to sound better all the time.

The $10 bundles is priced just fine....it's the fact that if you EVER stop paying, even if they stop providing worthwhile updates and raise the price, you have nothing.

Jan 17, 2014 at 08:08 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lightroom going subscription?

chez wrote:
Since this is NOT a released product...how do you know exactly how LR for IPad will interact with the cloud and how do you know you have to import images using a traditional computer. Where did you get all this information considering this us just a rumor. Possibly jumping to I'll informed conclusions.

Because my eyes and ears work just fine. Not ill informed ... I just paid attention.

If you had bothered to visit the link the OP offered, read the story and watch the embedded video, you would know what I know.

I watched the video as it was presented live online when Mr. Hogarty offered up the concept for the app/service ... I didn't just pull my reasoning out of thin air.

It's not that difficult to see for yourself ... all you have to do is push "play" ...

Jan 17, 2014 at 09:51 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lightroom going subscription?

butchM wrote:

Case in point is Apple's new A7 64-bit processor. There have been rumors that other more advanced processors are soon to be released by other makers. While it is not a comparable solution the power of current desktop and laptops ... it is moving in the right direction. Flash memory continues to improve and cost less. So in the very near future, tablets
...Show more

Wow, what a mess. What use is that?? I never imagined they'd set it up to work that way. Who would pay $10 a year for that method never mind $100?
Maybe there will be other ways or it will get worked out better over time.

Jan 17, 2014 at 10:53 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lightroom going subscription?

The trick with the LR app is to have the catalog on both devices, the laptop/main computer and the ipad. The image on the ipad is not a RAW file because the ipad can't read the RAW image and will only display the jpeg preview which is integrated in the RAW file. The cloud is then used to integrate any expose, WB, etc changes done on the ipad and stored in a secondary catalog file on the tablet which will then be syncd with the catalog file on the computer via some cloud service.

Apple's iCloud is a mess as far as I'm concerned(YMMB). I use Dropbox for any transfers between ipad and computer. If Adobe has a better cloud service than iCloud, I'm in. If Adobe alows users to use Dropbox that would be better. If iCloud is involved and at the $99 price, I'm not interested.

Notwithstanding, $99 a year has to be a mistake. If not, I'd really have to think long and hard about this.

Jan 18, 2014 at 01:58 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lightroom going subscription?

allebaug wrote:
Do you ever travel where wifi, or any signal, is poor, expensive, or NA?

I live in such a place. The cloud might be fine for well-heeled people living in a modern, functioning society in which ISP's understand the concept of customer service.

Jan 18, 2014 at 07:14 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Lightroom going subscription?

There's no reason the iPad couldn't do full RAW conversion upon newly imported files. I already have an app that does (very mediocre) RAW conversion on my iPad.

Jan 18, 2014 at 07:14 AM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Lightroom going subscription?

mogud wrote:
The trick with the LR app is to have the catalog on both devices, the laptop/main computer and the ipad. The image on the ipad is not a RAW file because the ipad can't read the RAW image and will only display the jpeg preview which is integrated in the RAW file. The cloud is then used to integrate any expose, WB, etc changes done on the ipad and stored in a secondary catalog file on the tablet which will then be syncd with the catalog file on the computer via some cloud service.

Apple's iCloud is a mess as
...Show more

I agree with Jman13 ...

There are at least three photo apps that claim to process RAW images. I have never verified that they do as it would be difficult to parse the code to know for sure. If I am not mistaken, CoreImage has been implemented in iOS 7 ... which is the backbone of RAW rendering in OS X for iPhoto and Aperture.

I've also had very good luck with iCloud and Photo Stream ... syncing photos from Aperture to my iDevices is child's play ... easier than Dropbox ... though I do use both.

I especially like iCloud for syncing Contacts, Calendar, Mail, Safari bookmarks (even take up browsing where you left off on another device) ... It's actually worked out quite well ...

Jan 18, 2014 at 07:43 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Lightroom going subscription?

butchM wrote:
I especially like iCloud for syncing Contacts, Calendar, Mail, Safari bookmarks (even take up browsing where you left off on another device) ... It's actually worked out quite well ...

That's awesome you can do so, but for many of us the cost, speed and reliability is such garbage by comparison we may as well live on separate planets.

Jan 18, 2014 at 07:57 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Lightroom going subscription?

OK having seem what Adobe were talking about a while back RE the ipad (or tablets in general) im pretty sure the idea will be:

1. your LRCat will sync in the cloud so that whatever device your using you will have the current uptodate version.
2. from your desktop you will be able to choose what images are sent to the cloud (and these will be usable in the tablet).
3. any images sent to the cloud will actually be a SMART PREVIEW rather than the raw file. advantage to this is its fully editable but a much smaller size on the cloud storage (and the tablet) .

4. you will most likley be able to import into Tablet LR as well and will probably have a way to sync the files up when you back to full LR .

all good so far BUT

if they are charging that much for Tablet LR then sorry but i (and alot of others will pass) . I have wanted Ipad LR for ages but it should be a free or small price add on to the full LR . lets face it when you have the likes of PHOTOSMITH that can sync images with LR you can see it shouldnt take much for Adobe to be able to make something that works with the cloud and uses smart previews .

a couple of years ago this would have been a great app . but with Full Blown windows 8 tablets like the Surface Pro (and the raft of Atom based ones that are pretty cheap ) that can run Full LR well enough you can have your Lrcat and Smart previews on a Memory stick and work very well now

Jan 18, 2014 at 09:31 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Lightroom going subscription?

Jman13 wrote:
The $10 bundles is priced just fine....it's the fact that if you EVER stop paying, even if they stop providing worthwhile updates and raise the price, you have nothing.

No, I still have my photos that I processed over the years...just like if I cancel my cable subscription I have nothing in my hand but I do have previous years of watching movies.

Jan 18, 2014 at 11:20 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Lightroom going subscription?

chez wrote:
No, I still have my photos that I processed over the years...just like if I cancel my cable subscription I have nothing in my hand but I do have previous years of watching movies.

You misunderstand. He is talking about the software.

Before CC, if you did not upgrade, you still had your version of Photoshop and it continued to work the way it always did. If you only bought a new camera once every three or four years you could skip two upgrades and get the third one for a reasonable price to be able to convert the new camera via ACR.

Or you could profitably never upgrade if you converted your images with manufacturer's software like Canon DPP.

After the advent of CC, if you stop paying the subscription, you lose the software. All your investment in it (say 3 years at $10/mo. = $360, much more for Photoshop) is gone with no residual.

It's like paying off software bought on credit, but the software gets more expensive the longer you "own" it (use it), and disappears when you stop paying. Not just stops getting better -- it completely goes away.

Jan 18, 2014 at 01:18 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Lightroom going subscription?

butchM

I'm glad that iCloud works well for you. However, iCloud and I are bitter enemies. I can't get iCloud to do any of the things you say are child's play. I got my Photo Stream to the iPad, but that's it. Maybe the process is differnet in the Windows world. I also don't use IE as my browser. The addin from Mozilla for iCloud is buggy at best.

The iPad can't display any type of RAW file nor TIFF or PNG. So, I'm not sure what the apps that you mentioned are displaying. As far as my use of Photosmith is concerned, the latest upgrade last fall is better, but it's not quite there and I'll wait on Photosmith.

I'd really luv a LR app to do minor processing. I'd really like some form of easy integration of LR to the iPad to just simply view processed and converted jpegs right in LR without having to go through Dropbox and FollioBook.

Regardless, the problem is the price of admission. As I mentioned previously, $99 a year is a deal breaker for me. I'll just climb some stairs and sit at my desktop and post process without any ipad in the workflow. I'll view the finished product in iPad using Dropbox and FolioBook.

Edited on Jan 18, 2014 at 09:53 PM · View previous versions

Jan 18, 2014 at 02:56 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.